The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Books...

The horse movie thread got me thinking...so how about novels? Not documentary types but novels. I remember so loving King of the Wind and the Misty novels as a kid. I'd really love to be reminded of some of my old favorite horse books from years ago. And I'd also love to hear of any current fiction novels not geared for young adults per se where horses are a prominent part of the story (ie The Horse Whisperer).

And that thought leads me to a horrid bit of nonsense I read in a very popular novel just recently. My friends kept 'oohing' and 'ahhing' over the novel A Discovery of Witches. Not a horse related book, but there is a longish scene in which the protagonist (a witch) is taken riding by a vampire. It has to be the most ridiculous bit of idiocy I've ever read. Anyone familiar with it?? Was I the only one laughing out loud?

hey, a good laugh is worth something!

The Horse Whisperer was really really bad IMHO...got rid of the book ASAP.

Sadly, the best written part was the horrific accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default I have one!

I "think" it was that newish Secretariat book: the author kept referring to any part of a horse's barrel or hindquarters' as "between the haunches". A mare giving birth ~ the amniotic sac was poking out from "between the haunches"
    Used the phase in a couple other instances that displayed the author's ignorance.

People! Write what you know, or check your facts!

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie36 View Post
    The horse movie thread got me thinking...so how about novels? Not documentary types but novels. I remember so loving King of the Wind and the Misty novels as a kid. I'd really love to be reminded of some of my old favorite horse books from years ago. And I'd also love to hear of any current fiction novels not geared for young adults per se where horses are a prominent part of the story (ie The Horse Whisperer).

And that thought leads me to a horrid bit of nonsense I read in a very popular novel just recently. My friends kept 'oohing' and 'ahhing' over the novel A Discovery of Witches. Not a horse related book, but there is a longish scene in which the protagonist (a witch) is taken riding by a vampire. It has to be the most ridiculous bit of idiocy I've ever read. Anyone familiar with it?? Was I the only one laughing out loud?
    I also loved King of the Wind! Other favorites: Born to Trot, Smokey, Man O'War (by Walter Farley) and anything by CW Anderson.

Favorite novels (with a "horsie" flair) as an adult - anything by Dick Francis.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

There have been several great threads on this topic. I always suggest The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss, so when I did a search of her name, they all came up.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/se...rchid=11012287

Not sure that link would work, but just search "molly gloss" in Off Course. It's a gold mine of good books!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Default try these

Death by Dressage, and several other titles by Carolyn Banks

Default A great horse read

Check out NO SECRET SO CLOSE available on Amazon

Jilly Cooper
    Not sure those count as novels... and the horses aren't the good parts...

I have a 'the man who listens to horses' book in the house now I've been trying to find the best way of disposing it. I've already offered to my friends to pay them to take it and had no one step forward... :S.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Jilly Cooper
    Not sure those count as novels... and the horses aren't the good parts...

I have a 'the man who listens to horses' book in the house now I've been trying to find the best way of disposing it. I've already offered to my friends to pay them to take it and had no one step forward... :S.
    Oh my god, you too? I somehow ended up with two copies...

I started with one and the keep multiplying!! Breeding like rabbits, I don't know, someone around here keeps ordering .35c used copies off amazon for cheap thrills.

(Just realized how bad that sounded from a romance novel...)

LOL - re-read, think you meant the Monty Roberts book...
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Last edited by 5; Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM.