The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default yup.. I'm gonna say it!

Though I'm sure everyone has already heard, I could not find a thread on this topic yet, or perhaps I just didn't look hard enough, but there it is, smacked in our faces, horse slaughter is legal in the US yet again.

‎"President Obama legalized Horse Slaughter and requires taxpayers to subsidize foreign horse meat industry. Equine welfare Organizations denounce the actions of three legislators (Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA), Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) and Sen. Herb Kohl(D-WI), who in a closed door process stripped the language from the Agriculture Appropriations bill that prevented equine slaughter for human consumption in America, thereby legalizing the practice. President Obama signed the bill into law on Nov. 18th 2011."

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/ho...r/article/1887

thoughts? I know my views on this subject and will voice them in time, but what are your's?
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Thank God!! I'm sorry, but that is my view. While I would never want to send a horse to slaughter myself, it is an unfortunate, and sometimes necessary, part of our industry.

Has no one paid attention to what happened in the U.S. when the bill was passed to make U.S. horse slaughter illegal? Rescue Society's became overwhelmed with horses, states like Arizona, Montana and Colorado had to start posting signs along their highways as people were just dropping off horses and letting them run lose, horse prices dropped significantly...and then horses that were still going to slaughter were now being sent thousands of miles up to Canada and down to Mexico.

The problem is not whether horse slaughter should be legal or illegal, the dilemma is standardizing it so it is done in a humane way. Instead of complaining about how inhumane it is, I wish these people would help develop a better system for it so it is done humanely.

I'll get off of my soap box now and put my flame-retardant suit on...but this is honestly the best thing for the U.S. equine industry in a long time!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    The problem is not whether horse slaughter should be legal or illegal, the dilemma is standardizing it so it is done in a humane way. Instead of complaining about how inhumane it is, I wish these people would help develop a better system for it so it is done humanely.

I'll get off of my soap box now and put my flame-retardant suit on...but this is honestly the best thing for the U.S. equine industry in a long time!
    Your whole post was very lovely said, but this is my favorite part. I agree 100% with legalizing slaughter. Am I happy horses are dying? No way! But you know, they're dying every day legally or illegally if you think about it, many, shoot horses I personally know, are dying that slow death of starvation, but not even officials would do anything about it because they have no where to send them.

I believe whole-heartily in HUMANE slaughter, which I hope they have, or will, come up with a method that is as humane as possible. I was really imagining people (like the ones I have seen on facebook) to jump up and start screaming, course I imagine most "horse smart" people will agree with our way of thinking, Daventry. <prepares>
    Visit MW Equine!

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    Your whole post was very lovely said, but this is my favorite part. I agree 100% with legalizing slaughter. Am I happy horses are dying? No way! But you know, they're dying every day legally or illegally if you think about it, many, shoot horses I personally know, are dying that slow death of starvation, but not even officials would do anything about it because they have no where to send them.

I believe whole-heartily in HUMANE slaughter, which I hope they have, or will, come up with a method that is as humane as possible. I was really imagining people (like the ones I have seen on facebook) to jump up and start screaming, course I imagine most "horse smart" people will agree with our way of thinking, Daventry. <prepares>
    Yep totally agree with the above. Bravo.

Found on the whitehouse.gov website:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-r...ed-legislation
    And then clicking on the Nov 18th link:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.2112:

editted to add: The last document in the above link doesn't mention anything about horses.

SEC. 739. None of the funds made available in this
    9 Act may be used to pay the salaries or expenses of per10
    sonnel to—
    11 (1) inspect horses under section 3 of the Fed12
    eral Meat Inspection Act (21 U.S.C. 603);
    13 (2) inspect horses under section 903 of the
    14 Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act of
    15 1996 (7 U.S.C. 1901 note; Public Law 104–127); or
    16 (3) implement or enforce section 352.19 of title
    17 9, Code of Federal Regulations.

So I guess I'm lost here. Where does it say horse slaughter is legal? Can an attorney weigh in on this and what it does do? The above is the ONLY reference to horses in the document.
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Nov. 22, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    Though I'm sure everyone has already heard, I could not find a thread on this topic yet, or perhaps I just didn't look hard enough, but there it is, smacked in our faces, horse slaughter is legal in the US yet again.

‎"President Obama legalized Horse Slaughter and requires taxpayers to subsidize foreign horse meat industry. Equine welfare Organizations denounce the actions of three legislators (Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA), Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) and Sen. Herb Kohl(D-WI), who in a closed door process stripped the language from the Agriculture Appropriations bill that prevented equine slaughter for human consumption in America, thereby legalizing the practice. President Obama signed the bill into law on Nov. 18th 2011."

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/ho...r/article/1887

thoughts? I know my views on this subject and will voice them in time, but what are your's?
    thank goodness. Now let's get someone like Temple Grandin to figure out a humane way to slaughter horses.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Here is an article I found on what it all means:
    http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...slaughter.aspx

I think there are hoops that still need to be jumped through yet.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Why is this on the breeding forum? it relates to over populating not that anybody is even talking about that.

Wasn't really sure where else to put it, so I chose here because, I mainly stay on this side of the forum, and I thought it would be interesting to the breeders on here. Is there an option to transfer it to another discussion forum?
    Visit MW Equine!

Well it's just horrible. I'm totally against slaughter. Just horrible that we're getting closer to it. Again it allows irresponsible people an easy outlet for overbreeding.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

It allows irresponsible breeders an outlet. I guess you can argue that point. Do you buy horses from big breeders in Europe? Horses with amazing bloodlines and looks bred for the top end of sport? What do you think happens to the ones that don't make the cut? The mares that despite having everything going for them produce subpar foals time after time? Mares that are done their usefulness? Horses that can't do the jobs intended. Horses that have turned out to be inferior models despite everything that should be going for them?

Well they don't have the vet out and send them over the rainbow bridge peacefully surrounded by those who love them. It's a business and treated as such. There is a reason for the saying, "they eat their mistakes".

I personally wil not send mine to slaughter. That is not how I feel about horses. But to me it's a much better solution than starving to death. Or a slow painful existence waiting to die.

There are no feed lots here and you have to have an appointment to bring your horse in. During the collapse of the economy there was a 6-8 week waiting list.

I have more respect for the person who send a horse to slaughter in good condition rather than letting one stand in a muddy field neglecting horse in every way possible.

Was it working as the law was written before? Horses having to travel in horrible conditions on long journeys? If those loop holes were closed were horses now guaranteed a new life filled with hope and promise?

Thinking it's all racehorses going to slaughter is not correct. They are a small portion. How about when we see Warmbloods who have been rescued from a feed lot and threads are started here to find out who they are. How many didn't get rescued?

Nobody should breed willy nilly. Everyone should think long and hard before they breed. Sitting on a perch and pretending because you only breed quality that it could never happen to one of yours, is a very blinkered view. And when I say you, I mean anybody.

Slaughter needs to be improved plain and simple. I personally don't agree with the concept. I don't want that ending for my horses. But if one of mine ended up in a bad situation after leaving me, I would rather slaughter the way it's done here than spending numerous days suffering. Hunger and untreated ailments day in and day out. It is the lesser evil.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

In Holland slaughter has never been an issue. Some horsepeople have a horse euthanized others send it to the slaughterhouse. People normally respect each other's choice in the matter. One of the horses I bred was send to the slaughterhouse in 2010 because of navicular, a friend of mine owned him and I respected her choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Thank God!! I'm sorry, but that is my view. While I would never want to send a horse to slaughter myself, it is an unfortunate, and sometimes necessary, part of our industry.

Has no one paid attention to what happened in the U.S. when the bill was passed to make U.S. horse slaughter illegal? Rescue Society's became overwhelmed with horses, states like Arizona, Montana and Colorado had to start posting signs along their highways as people were just dropping off horses and letting them run lose, horse prices dropped significantly...and then horses that were still going to slaughter were now being sent thousands of miles up to Canada and down to Mexico.

Yep, I agree ^^^
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Always a sensitive topic with horse lovers.

The option of slaughter is not being forced, but that's the beauty of it - it is another, reasonable option and not necessarily a method to resolve overpopulation.

Irresponsible breeders are not put off by the possible negatives of their breeding endeavours, and I would wager they haven't cared either way about slaughter.
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

Sensationalism.

Horse slaughter isn't illegal in the US. It never has been. The last two plants shut down due to environmental regulations being ignored. There have been efforts recently in Montana, for example, to open a plant there, which failed.

This is an emotionally charged subject that those who would opine on it should at least do the rest of us the courtesy of finding out the facts.

And it will be interesting to see, given the economic situation if we see more and more horses being stolen by creeps who see a way to make money.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Well it's just horrible. I'm totally against slaughter. Just horrible that we're getting closer to it. Again it allows irresponsible people an easy outlet for overbreeding.
    Irresponsible breeders are not going to change their ways no matter if slaughter is or isn't legal. That's what makes them irresponsible.

I would never send a horse for slaughter, nor could I ever bring myself to eat horse meat. But all in all, until the root of the problem is addressed, this is much better than shipping horses for miles and miles across the border to us here in Canada.

What I wish is that the whole process were made more humane, including less transport time, and having food & water available to all horses at all times and better conditions all around.

It's a very sad reality that this is the fate of so many of our beloved equines, however it sure beats starving to death. At least it's relatively quick.

Just not a pleasant subject, no matter what side of the fence you're on.

In Holland about 80% of horse owners that have their horse slaughtered they themselves bring it to the slaughterhouse. So then there is not outside party involved in transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    People are going to overbreed and overpopulate whether slaughter is legal or not. The ignorant people who do this don't even think of the consequences of what they do, so slaughter or no slaughter isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in the grand scheme of things for them. People don't produce horses specifically FOR the slaughter industry. They do so because they CAN. Even if they shouldn't.

If people would just STOP BREEDING so many damned mares every year, perhaps we wouldn't need legalized slaughter. Jesus.