The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Terrible hung-up blanket experience (but he's OK).

I got a phone call this morning from my next door neighbor informing me that my mule had gotten loose, left our dead-end lane, and was galloping, panicked, over the bridge towards the highway. My mule is very sensible and lives in a nice secure paddock so this was shocking news.

The neighbor came over to watch my daughter while I ran down the road and called to Fen, who was careening across someone's lawn towards the main road when he heard my voice. He stopped and trotted back to me. He was relieved to be saved from the terror of whatever had just happened.

I found his turnout blanket torn with one leg strap dangling (its fastener was gone) and, upon arriving home, I found ten feet of my woven-wire horse fence had been pulled off the fence posts and was lying on the ground. I can only assume that his blanket strap came loose, swung out, and hooked the fence and that he pulled the whole fence section down in his panic.

I have him safely enclosed in his sacrifice paddock now. He's naked. I feel it's too cold and wet to ask him to acclimatize to living out without a rug at this time of year, but I'm spooked about blanketing him again after this freak accident! I think I'll shop for a better fitting blanket with less drop, as he's longer than he is tall and most blankets come down to his knees and hocks.

Anyone else with a scary blanket story or a blanket brand to recommend?
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Quote Originally Posted by didgery View Post
    I got a phone call this morning from my next door neighbor informing me that my mule had gotten loose, left our dead-end lane, and was galloping, panicked, over the bridge towards the highway. My mule is very sensible and lives in a nice secure paddock so this was shocking news.

The neighbor came over to watch my daughter while I ran down the road and called to Fen, who was careening across someone's lawn towards the main road when he heard my voice. He stopped and trotted back to me. He was relieved to be saved from the terror of whatever had just happened.

I found his turnout blanket torn with one leg strap dangling (its fastener was gone) and, upon arriving home, I found ten feet of my woven-wire horse fence had been pulled off the fence posts and was lying on the ground. I can only assume that his blanket strap came loose, swung out, and hooked the fence and that he pulled the whole fence section down in his panic.

I have him safely enclosed in his sacrifice paddock now. He's naked. I feel it's too cold and wet to ask him to acclimatize to living out without a rug at this time of year, but I'm spooked about blanketing him again after this freak accident! I think I'll shop for a better fitting blanket with less drop, as he's longer than he is tall and most blankets come down to his knees and hocks.

Anyone else with a scary blanket story or a blanket brand to recommend?
    Rambo--no leg straps!

Not scary really ,but just shows how insane TBs are ;-) MY daughter's 4 year old OTTB was being treated for rain rot 2 weeks ago- I gave him a bath, put a cooler on him, put him in stall to munch on a manger full of hay while he was drying. I went out of the barn to go do other chores, came back in half an hour later........his cooler, which only had a chest tie and a tail loop, was still around his neck by the chest tie-the rest of the blanket was on the ground, totally wrapping up both his front legs in the process- he couldn't move forward, he couldn't move backwards......he was still calmly munching on hay. Could barely be bothered to help me lift his feet to get them out of the cooler because I was blocking his view of the manger. I have no idea how he managed to do it so completely. LOL
    Glad your Fen made it thru unblemished!!!!

Its tough and scary when the drop is too long. I had to return 2 brand new (and destroyed) blankets to Dover in 2 weeks because Rico kept getting his foot caught in the strap. Tore them in exactly the same place. Customer service finally helped me figure out what was happening, then went and measured the drop on several turnouts to find one with a shorter drop and sent it to me at the same cost as the one I originally purchased. We were all just grateful that he didn't break a leg in the process!

I've found that the Rhino's, and Dover's Northwind seem to have the shortest drop.

Saxon tends to have shorter drops, but I only use the Horseware brands without leg straps (Amigo, Rhino and Rambo).

I second the Saxons having a short drop. I actually really like mine, despite it being so cheap. You can get D rings sewn on if you prefer tail straps--but I would think the snaps on them were as/ more likely to get caught if you have a horse that likes to rub or sit on the fence.

I found my OTTB with a Rambo Supreme, completely removed, nothing unbuckled or unsnapped and the Horsewear liner shredded...decorating the pasture. No one was hurt, no damage to the blanket. They're older now and a bit calmer.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

One morning I came to find my beast standing there shivering, his blanket in the field, covered in frost, and ENTIRELY intact/ all straps still hooked closed, neck cover still attached as well as still buckled. I never did figure out what happened, or how he got his giant head through the neck cover opening

That was the only time he's ever had that blanket so much as slip... I have nooo clue.

Glad Fen was ok after all that!

oh Fen, now that I know he is okay, I can't wait to read "his" version of the event!! Poor guy!! I had always imagined him pretty level headed, so I am surprised he panicked!
    I hope you (and the blanket) regain his confidence!

I just had a similar experience a few weeks ago with an Amigo sheet on my old guy, who has never so much as torn a blanket in the 13 years I've owned him. Have no idea what happened. Only thing I can think of is either he was rubbing on a tree or rolling and somehow got tangled in it or his pasture mate tugged on it or something trying to play. Said younger pasture mate is sort of a punk and it's his first winter here. It scared me to death when hubby called and said the old horse was standing at the gate shaking and entangled-- sheet was ripped all to pieces in the field as well. Luckily he's a laid back old dude and after whatever initial freakout happened, he just stayed put until help arrived!

I decided to go back to one with leg straps for him as I think the extra straps will help hold the sheet in place. I do wonder if the wind could've caught under the back of the Amigo and flipped it up or something. I'm still nervous blanketing him now when I'm at work all day, but unfortunately I have to as he's older and gets cold easily and will shiver weight off. If it happens again, young punk is getting a grazing muzzle!

Glad that Fen was ok!!

My horse has removed 2 blankets during the same turnout period (6 hours). I went out to get him and his rain sheet was in one corner of his turnout pen and his baker was in another corner. All straps still done up.
    He also learned how to wiggle and jiggle the chain out of place to open his paddock gate.

Thanks for the advice and stories! Fen's never been one to get tangled up, but the way the whole fence was peeled back today made think he must have gotten snagged. I think I'm going to try a QH Rambo, since they're supposedly designed like the Saxons with a smaller drop and they don't have the back straps to get wrapped up in. If it were earlier in the season, I would just say to heck with blanketing!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Glad he's ok!!!

I found my pony's blanket, standing on end, in the pasture. In my head he removed it like a sweater and like a child, left his clothes on the floor.

I agree that the Saxon has a higher drop.