The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This year I'm thankful for:

OK, Starting this thread again. This year I'm thankful for riding again, although dressage instead of hunters. My trainer, Nancy Lane, passed away this summer, and I've started riding dressage with her daughter Debbie Lane. Thank you Debbie for being patient with me. Dressage is so different, and sometimes I revert to my old HJ ways. Thank you to my husband of almost 24 years, for encouraging me, not just with riding, but with everything. Thank you to all of our friends, both near and far. Thany you to all family members, although we've lost several in the last few years, including my father-in-law last week. I thank him for always asking about my riding, and really listening to me-he was a great man. Mostly, I'm thankful for health, happiness, horses, friends, finances that allow me to ride, a job, good house, great husband, great family, and the freedom that allows us to do the things we enjoy.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

I'm thankful:

1) that my horse and I have both had a healthy, injury free year;

2) that despite a bad economy, I can afford my re-riding habit;

3) for my husband, family and friends who are so supportive of my riding, and everything I do;

4) that my 12.5 year old Weimaraner has been with us another year; and

5) for my BOs/trainers, who stick with me through the good lessons and the bad, and take such good care of Tajar for me.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

My list is about the same every year.

I'm thankful for:

Happy healthy horses.
    Gainful employment that keeps hay and feed in the barn.
    Good health for me, my family, and my friends.

This year I'm Thankful for:

My healthy, loving Husband.
    Wonderful, loving furkids.
    Family, near and far.
    Friends, fearless and fun.
    My mare, retired and happy in a safe pasture, with other equine friends.
    Excellent employment.
    Life in General.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

I'm thankful for way to many things to list but the first few are that my parents are still alive after battling ill health, my entire family is healthy & happy, I have the world's best horses & dogs, I have a great home & farm that is so comfortable & quiet, I have wonderful friends, I have a new trainer for my young horses, & I'm starting to ride again.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I'm thankful for my boyfriend who supports me not only in my riding and horse ownership but in all avenues of my life, for my mom who has never flagged in her support of me (riding or otherwise), for my Gabby turning out to be everything I'd hoped for and beyond in a horse, for a barn owner who is also a caring, supportive, understanding, and encouraging trainer of horse and rider alike, for a dog who defies stereotypes, for a job that (while it is not my dream job) allows me to survive week to week and also afford the luxury of a horse, for wonderful friends I know I can count on whether we talk every day or once a month, for a so-far fairly healthy year for myself.

I am thankful that this year is almost over and I still have my (gray and colored) hair....
    and hair color, of course.

I am thankful for my nurse practitioner who fixed me up so well this fall. I am not feeling half as crappy as I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I'm thankful that I have a job with a wonderful company, that I am blessed to share my life with three amazing horses and a bunch of other animals, and that I got to move to my very own farm this summer. There are always things in life that are challenging but when I start to focus too much on them I have to stop and remember that things are pretty darn good.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'm thankful for my supportive, loving family, for having a job I love, and my dogs and cats for loving me no matter what I do or look like.

I'm especially grateful that I recovered from my accident of nearly 2 years ago, to end up Year End Reserve Champ in my "little" division for our state association. My horse was a trooper, and my trainer was so patient in allowing me to go at my own pace, yet push me on.

I'm grateful for Mr. CC, who never wavers in his support of my horse habit (mind you, he won't pay for it, but he doesn't seem to care how much I spend of my money!).

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Healthy family and animals.
    My alchoholic brother quit drinking and has been sober 3 months.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Thankful for:
    A job that pays me enough to support my livelihood...I.e. Horses! Especially in a tough economic time

A long love affair that recently became official

A SO who loves and supports what I love to do...I.e. Horses!

A trainer who has weathered a very tough year but has been by my side through it all and has unwavering determination

The kindness of friends who let me ride their horses after I lost mine, one year ago to colic

The person who appeared out of nowhere to bring me my wonderful new horse, and all the healing and happiness that came with him.

Thank you for starting this thread KathyR. It's so easy to complain about the annoyances of the day to day, while losing focus of the big picture! It is all about the glass half empty/half full and up to us to choose what feels better. Wow, that felt good to list the great things!

I'm very Thankful, every day for:

My DH, farmer, business owner, husband and my #1 support.

My three children, who are happy, healthy and successful as adults.

My business with horses, which is thriving, satisfying, and makes me smile every day.

My two riding buddies. I've had more fun in these last two years riding with you, then I've had in years. May we ride the trails on our wonderful horses for many, many years.

Good thread. We need to count our blessings often.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I'm thankful for my fabulous barn, barn owner and business partners who make every day with the horses a fun one.
    I'm thankful for a patient, gorgeous horse who takes care of me every ride.
    I'm thankful to have been able to place so many nice horses this year into new homes.
    Most of all I'm thankful for my faith that gets me thru those dark days and for God who always has my back!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I am thankful for -

22 + years of marriage - more than half my life - with a husband who has worked so hard and accepted so much so that I can be thankful for ...

His health - dh is a cancer survivor, who had a terrible prognosis almost six years ago. I am so glad he is still around, along with our.....

Two happy, healthy, amazing, sweet, gorgeous sons. One will graduate college this year at 21, is self-supporting and so wonderful. Our 12-year-old is my riding buddy, amazing athlete, straight A student, and all around wonderful guy.

I live in my own version of paradise. I am so grateful for my seven acres, and the extra 30 I am able to lease. The house needs so much work, but I could not be happier here, only 2 miles from my mom and in a community where we are all safe and supported.

My work! It's easy, fun and pays really well. I love working part time, and still being able to care for...

Three amazing horses, my heart dog, Sidda and my son's canine buddy, Wrigley. We lost our cat, Sox, this month, but she was with us for 20 years, so that is really just another blessing.

Chickens!!! I love having my hens.

Many, many things, but most immediately, I'm thankful for the results of my Dan's xrays yesterday!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Healthy family and animals.
    My alchoholic brother quit drinking and has been sober 3 months.
    That is wonderful about your brother, give him a hug.

I am thankful that maybe the run of bad health is over and there is light at the end of the Drs visits.

I am thankful that it looks that, a bit handicapped now, I still can ride some and more eventually.

I am thankful I finally seem to have found, after he lost his old friend, a congenial companion for my old horse.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

WRT horse herself,

-- that she is sound
    -- that she likes the trails and is trustworthy to ride out alone
    -- that she (still) makes me laugh

Other things:

-- a kind and patient husband
    -- a job where I am valued
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm thankful for...

-my amazing greenie, although he's currently out of commission.
    -vets who are helping his recovery and healing.
    -my amazing BOs who have spoiled him rotten and catered to his every need.
    -my family.
    -my awesome new lease/free ride mare.
    -"my" project pony's amazing new family.
    -that the above family is signing me on to finish him for them.
    -my amazing boss/trainer.
    -my retiree's amazing new home.

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but those are what stuck out the most this year.

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I am thankful for so much this year. This year has been a wild ride to say the least bit.

1. I am thankful that my wonderful retiree has a job that suits him teaching theraputic riding. He loves it and they love him. He gets spoiled rotten and will never lack for anything.

2. My beautiful new horse and I finally clicked. It has been a rough time adjusting to the big warmblood trot but I seem to have finally gotten it. He does have his baby moments where his tail scares him.

3. My trainer for allowing me to ride another horse in shows this summer. We won 3 year end award championships.

4. Learning how to ride as a normal rider. Having been overweight my whole life it has been a huge adjustment for me and I struggle with it daily.

5. My job. As much as it drives me insane and feels like the life blood is being sucked out of me. It is a pretty cool project and has given me so many tools for new opportunties when I am ready.

6. My personal life has changed so much to. I got the courage to leave my hubsand and start a new life. It hasn't been easy to say the least. I have spent a few nights crying myself to sleep but in the end it will be ok.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    My list is about the same every year.

I'm thankful for:

Happy healthy horses.
    Gainful employment that keeps hay and feed in the barn.
    Good health for me, my family, and my friends.
    This 100%.

I am also thankful for:

1. An amazing and wonderful boyfriend who "gets it" and never complains. He even bought me clippers as an early Christmas present so that I could clip my horse.
    2. The vets and techs at Morven park who recently performed laser surgery on my gelding to remove an ugly 5cm sarcoid in his ear, and the fact that it didn't break the bank to have the procedure done.
    3. That I board my horses at two very low-drama barns with REALLY nice people who take great care of them.
    4. Transportation that gets me from A to B.
    5. An inexpensive and safe place to live in a very expensive area.
    6. That I have someplace to be on Thanksgiving and people to spend it with.