The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GRP or Smaller Dressage Stallion For This Mare

Im considering an "outside" breeding for this mare next spring and would appreciate some suggestions on either a GRP or Smaller Warmblood stallion (must be smaller) for her. She is registered purebred Connemara inspected and Approved with both the ACPS and Weser Ems. Very Easy Breeder with Fresh Cooled--but we can also do Frozen. I am mainly interested in producing an over height Dressage Pony for myself (though the top side of large pony is fine too). I would prefer something with some depth of body--in other words--not too narrow (I am an adult rider-5.5' of average size weight). This mare has produced one very lovely Purebred Connemara whose photo I'll attach--along with a few photos of her. She is 14.2 1/2HH and big bodied and her foal would be registered Weser Ems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	34295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	387238_10100609763401083_3233504_58240290_2034777998_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	34296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0639.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	34297  

How about FS Don't Worry
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

There are a number of Weser-Ems approved stallions that would be a good fit for your mare. I would look at the Oldenburg website and consider the accomplishments of the stallions, their production record along with the bloodlines to see if one stands out more than the others to produce what you are looking for. We are very fortunate now to have so many nice stallions to chose from.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving,

Chris Rush
    Fair Winds Farm
    Standing Ridley

www.fair-windsfarm.com

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thanks Carol--will keep those boys under my hat as I've another young mare coming up that is going to be tall that I would ideally like to go "Irish" with. This time though Im really looking to produce a "Modern Type" Riding Pony for mainly dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Thanks Carol--will keep those boys under my hat as I've another young mare coming up that is going to be tall that I would ideally like to go "Irish" with. This time though Im really looking to produce a "Modern Type" Riding Pony for mainly dressage.
    I've been really pleased with my Connx/RID crosses.

https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/20100713#

This is my filly by Bridon Belfrey RID out of my 1/2 TB Erin Go Bragh mare.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We bred our 13.2 hand mare to Ridley. They were wonderful to deal with!

Have you looked at Morton Stables as they have a 14.2h British Riding Pony, *Rosedale Top Cat, and I have one of his sons who my husband and I plan on doing combined driving with (along with a Jackets Classical Blue foal - also a BRP). I also plan on doing some w/t dressage shows with him next year to get him started. I can only say good things about him as he has amazing talent, a great mind and is super friendly. Our guy is a wonderful mover and all of Top Cat's foals are amazing to work with and are super handsome (I have seen almost all of his foals as this is my mother in laws breeding buisness). We own 4 of her ponies (some by different stallions though) and I love them all!! Here are some pictures of our 2 year old gelding Morton's Jaguar by Top Cat (he is 14.1h as of a few weeks ago- out of a 13.2h welsh mare).
    http://www.barnmice.com/photo/dscn37...t?context=user
    http://www.barnmice.com/photo/blue-1/next?context=user
    Her website is www.mortonstables.com

Good luck in your quest and have fun!

Both Ridley and Dont Worry are on my radar and definitely in the running. Im am looking for full up to height or slightly oversized (148 cms or over). Because her base color is buckskin---I'd like to avoid adding more "dilute' to the mix. Is FS Daily Hero really "DUN" as in carries the gene for Dun or is he Buckskin (as in carries a Dilute gene)?

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    <snip>Because her base color is buckskin---I'd like to avoid adding more "dilute' to the mix. Is FS Daily Hero really "DUN" as in carries the gene for Dun or is he Buckskin (as in carries a Dilute gene)?
    He truly looks to be the shade of a classic "peanut butter dun", but it is hard to judge on photos whether he is truly dun. Was looking for dun-factor (face webbing, cobwebs, wither stripes, dorsal, leg barring) and can't really tell.

The hard part is, often, folks interchange Dun and Buckskin without regard to true color genetics.

There is both CREAM and DUN in these dutch and german ponies, so it makes it extra hard to know 100%. He does have cream in his background (palomino/buckskin)......but I have seen true dun, too (and honestly, sometimes I think FS Don't Worry looks RED DUN and not chestnut, as registered)

I find it interesting that they even have dun?? Where on earth did they get if from? True dun Welsh ponies aren't very common, and I'm guessing that is where it came from?

The Connemaras that are called "Dun", are ALWAYS Buckskin But I see with these ponies that there is BOTH dun (bay dun and red dun) AND buckskin/palominos.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Look at Chardonnay, weser ems stallion in California. He scored 61+ at I-II a couple months ago. I believe he is 14.2 and a flashy chestnut fellow. Has his own website but the basics are here: http://oldenburghorse.com/book/Chardonnay09.pdf

I know of two really nice (local) babies by FS Daily Hero. They were produced by ET out of a palomino GRP mare. One was born buckskin and the other chestnut; but, I would call Dianna and find out from her whether or not he's a true dun or not since our n=2 study doesn't prove one way or the other if he carries a cream gene.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Look at Chardonnay, weser ems stallion in California. He scored 61+ at I-II a couple months ago. I believe he is 14.2 and a flashy chestnut fellow. Has his own website but the basics are here: http://oldenburghorse.com/book/Chardonnay09.pdf
    I have met Chardonnay in person and he is LOVELY (top of the list--but he's not big). I find it a little curious that Ive not seen more foals by him? I would love to know more about how his fresh/frozen is--anyone??

Doe anyone know how fertile FS Don't Worry's frozen is?

Donarweiss is at Starr Vaughn now. He produces gorgeous pony crosses and adds very little height to any of the ones I have seen. I know of at least 5 section B crosses with Donarweiss that did not go oversize. Bred to a large you would have a high probability of a large pony or slightly over.

You can go see him in person and evaluate his size for yourself.

Ridley is a great choice too. I am a big fan...not sure how I forgot him. I just always think FS Don't Worry when I think oversized GRP. The FS Don't Worry semen I bought is excellent. My 4 year old maiden took with a 1/2 dose (my vets mistake, not on purpose) on first try. I have also had a Chardonnay foal. I loved my Chardonnay colt but he was smaller than I expected. He sure could move and was really pretty.

Now...I will venture into the dun question with the warning that I am not a dun expert. I feel like I have a good understanding of the dilute gene...but no experience yet with dun. I have been told FS Don't Worry is a "chestnut dun". Does that exist? So, I think that is where the dun comes from in Hero. I'd love to learn more too.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I hope people didn't think I meant that Chardonnay is small--he is NOT small and for sure every inch of 14.2 HH (as advertised). He is a very beautiful pony in person with fabulous in your pocket temperament. Only meant that I dont think he is quite as Deep Bodied as I'd like for this mare.

I also really like Donarwiess but am hoping to see him in person before using.

Yes there is definitely such a thing as Chesnut Dun--my neighbor has an "apricot dun" (chesnut dun) with extreme primitive markings--she is really cool looking. Her mother was also chesnut dun--but her markings were more noticeable at certain times of the year. The mother was in fact very similar in color to the photos of Dont Worry.

I have a purebred Connemara pony that is marked very similar to Daily Hero---but mine is for sure not Dun but Bay. I have also had several foals by my own stallion that have the dorsal stripe (more having to do with Counter Shading--also called Line Backed Bay) but none are actually Dun.

North Forks Cardi, IMO, is a much better dressage type than Chardonnay, and a great size to suit Adult Ammies. He is very competitive amongst well bred warmbloods and am looking forward to seeing how his offspring turn out especially out of the Jazz mare they have been crossing him to. Otherwise, I'd look to see if the stallion that won this year's Bundeschampionate is available frozen. His name is Caramel, I believe. He is phenomenal, IMHO.

I saw Caramel this summer and he is quite spectacular. The only thing he got busted for was going "wide" in the trot....which he does. But otherwise the package is pretty special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIZAOkIATQ

He is the second horse...the buckskin.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    North Forks Cardi, IMO, is a much better dressage type than Chardonnay, and a great size to suit Adult Ammies. He is very competitive amongst well bred warmbloods and am looking forward to seeing how his offspring turn out especially out of the Jazz mare they have been crossing him to. Otherwise, I'd look to see if the stallion that won this year's Bundeschampionate is available frozen. His name is Caramel, I believe. He is phenomenal, IMHO.
    So I went and looked at Cardi - He is pretty awesome! Perhaps they would like to send him to me as a Christmas present?? Noticed that he is a bit oversized - just shy of 15 hands, which would also work well w/ OPs objectives.