The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm owners-- what's on your Christmas list?

I'm trying to think of things to ask for since people are starting to ask me what I need/want. We have a farm with my 3 horses and a small hay operation.

Anyone have any cool, useful farm items on their Christmas list this year?

**Sigh*** No one ever thinks of getting us stuff for the farm, which would be used and appreciated more than most of the knickknacks etc that people do buy!

I would love a new wheelbarrow or pitchfork (can never have too many). Or a nice craftsman hose. So many things that would make me so happy! I guess "normal" folk do not get it...

Stall mats and roundpen panels. And gravel. I doubt I'll actually *get* them, but I can always wish, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jump4me View Post
    Stall mats and roundpen panels. And gravel. I doubt I'll actually *get* them, but I can always wish, right?
    Oooh... you are good....I like your options. Oh I need a new rake too...

Don't get me wrong, nobody gets us farm stuff either unless we make a point of asking for it. For instance, my mom just asked what my DH wants, I told her a new pair of Carhartt coveralls since his are trashed.

Oooh, a new hose, I could def. use one of those. I'm sick of getting a cold shower from the one I'm using that has a tiny hole in the middle of it!

j4me-- if I didn't already have mats, those would make the list for sure. I think they are truly my #1 favorite item on the whole farm as far as saving me time and money!

At the Equine Affair one booth had a motorized wheelbarrow. THAT could be put to good use.

I love the craftsman hoses because once you own one you can return them for a new one when they get a hole. No questions asked, thank you Sears!

I want mats...Santa PLEASE...

An automatic gate opener!

Weights for the tractor so I don't feel like I might die when I'm moving a round bale.

Warm weather.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

LOVE the idea of asking for gravel lolol.

A newer truck... alas Big Red, my 7.3L Ford is dying. One can dream, right?!

Seriously though, I do have 2 things on the list since Mr. ChocoMare and I don't exchange gifts per se (we have what we want, get what we need and treat each other thru the year):

--Get the circuit breaker upgraded with 2 new electric lines run
    --Remove the remains of the older run-in in my paddock/riding ring.

This would make me happy, yes.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I love the craftsman hoses because once you own one you can return them for a new one when they get a hole. No questions asked, thank you Sears!
    Reason #465 why I love Sears.

Agree 100% with mats, pen panels and gravel. (or sand, stonedust, etc) Nothing can make a farm person's heart skip a beat like the sound of a tri-axle dump truck backing up your driveway!

Round pen panels rock...I have two full sets/round pens and I don't "round pen" horses, LOL! But as temporary moveable fencing they can't be beat! I can pop up a stall or a turnout or fence off an area or whatever in a matter of minutes. LOVE them! Mats always come in handy here too.

Trailer sprayers are great...either for the tractor, lawnmower or ATV. Useful for weed control, fertilizing or watering the ring down.

For inexpensive little gifts:
    A small electric leafblower. Fantastic for sweeping floors, dusting rafters, cobweb removal, chasing birds out of the barn, blowdrying horses, etc. And you can also amuse yourself by blowing the lunch hay around the paddock and watching your horses try to catch it.

An extension pole with a duster attachment and the grabby-hand-thingy attachment. Duster gets rid of webs up in the eaves, the grabby thingy is great for changing light bulbs without climbing a ladder.

Little 2 gallon wet/dry vac wiith shoulder strap. $20-$40 and takes a short time to get your horses used to them. Awesome for winter baths...sucks the wet right out of their coats. Or to suck sweat out of a winter coat. Or just to vacuum instead of curry/brushing forever to remove dirt and dust from them in winter before riding. Also fantastic in spring when they come in covered in thick wet mud...10 minutes with a wet/dry vac and you can ride! They're also useful for draining hoses in winter in about 30 seconds without moving the hose or getting wet.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

A new hot water heater
    Stall gates for all the stalls
    New footing for the ring
    More lights for the ring
    More time to ride - hey, I can dream!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

An electric gate at the end of my driveway.

Gosh. Rock is always good. Bundles of tposts and caps, we are always increasing our paddock areas. A big gift certificate to TSC or Southern States! Craftsman hoses and that wet dry vac sound really nice too, as do some thick multi outlet extension cords.

Most of what I want costs a fortune or takes a ton of time though!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

TR3 please.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Blanket bars. 2-wheeled wheelbarrow. Stall mats for the aisle. That would be a good Christmas.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    An automatic gate opener!
    This ^ plus gravel and sand. I wish I could ask Santa for more time

I still want a pony for Christmas. He can live in my backyard.