The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Welcome to my world.

My husband's practice is on the grounds, so clients see the barn area and horses and think it's just wonderful to come back uninvited with their kids and feed, pet, screw with the horses. When you ask if you can help them and tell them this is a private area, they get offended. "But I was just showing Mary the pretty horsie's" as my TB is baring his teeth at her.

I have so many stories I could tell, it isn't funny. But instead of boring you to death, I would advise that number one, if you haven't done it already get liability insurance on your horses. It's surprisingly cheap and protects you a bit from the morons in the world. Number two, invest in the signage about horse areas and liability. Post them prominently. Number three, also post private property signs.

It sucks, it really does to have to deal with strangers in your private area. Especially the number of times I've stepped in mountains of dog dooky they also left behind!

Unfortunately, many people seem to thing the universe centers on them, and anything they want to do is fine. It comes from the way many people are raised as entitled little brats. And sadly, the entitled idiots get the attention that the nice, considerate people deserve, but rarely receive. It is very sad that people have to think about legal liability first, and plan for the worst case scenario because other people just won't stay off private property.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Unfortunately, many people seem to thing the universe centers on them, and anything they want to do is fine. It comes from the way many people are raised as entitled little brats. And sadly, the entitled idiots get the attention that the nice, considerate people deserve, but rarely receive. It is very sad that people have to think about legal liability first, and plan for the worst case scenario because other people just won't stay off private property.
    THIS!!!! JanM said it best.......

I have to add my two non horsey, but acreage related trespasses, piss off's. This was about 8 - 10 years ago when I had property with the now ex.

We bought property, and stripped the trees, spent tens of thousands of dollars, leveling 12 acres, pulling roots, rocks etc... we had been up there for about 2 months, still living in the camper trailer while we developed the land. The perimeter fencing was up, except no gates on the driveways.

I wake up one morning to hear an engine just roaring very close by. We are about 45 minutes from town, and back onto a forestry service road, and Crown (Park) land. So no reason to hear the same engine gunning it over and over again.

I peak my head out of the camper to see some a hole, sorry a couple of them, in a big lifted 4x4 truck just ripping up our freshly planted hay field. All of my 5 ft nothing, 110 sopping wetness in my whinney the pooh pj's go storming across the field with the mouth of a truck driver. The polite translate would have been what are you doing in our field. Which came out with a lot of *(&$*&#$*(%$&@($%&*&. The driver looked at me and said, well we didn't think you'd care, we are just test driving my new 4x4. Yeah he soon learned exactly how much I cared.

Then the second one, which to this day baffles me. Our driveway from the main road was straight up, looks like to just goes into bush. And because of the steep grade we put across a gate and a sign that said private drive way, no trespassing, right beside our house number sign. Now granted you can't see the house, but its very obvious its a private residence. So I come home one day, and I see a vehicle parked in the middle of my driveway so I can't get up the driveway or open the gate. I park at the neighbours and am just STEAMING ! So I take matters into my own hands, I can't have him towed because bylaws wont do that on a private residence. I wait for about 30 minutes and finally I am just livid. So i do something totally not nice, and I'm still not sure I did the most appropriate thing, although after you hear the response, you may change your mind.
    I take a stick, go to his tire, take off the air thingy cap, and let the tire go flat. I know now he has to call for a tow, and the evil part of me feels better. And I haul my child and groceries and such up the 1/4 mile to my house. I'm still seathing though, so I walk down the driveway to see if they have dealt with the situation. He is there changing his tire, and I say to him, as nicely as I can (not like the above situation) "Maybe next time you could not park in my driveway and block it". His answer back to me is " It doesn't say don't park here" - At this point I loose it, and ask him how would he feel if I decided to park my vehicle on his front lawn in the city, cuz I'm almost positive you don't have a sign that say "Do not park on my lawn" much like most normal people don't have to post signs that say Do not park in my driveway.

Plenty of stories of people also that would trespass to ask for me to take them up to the sites in the forest that they had heard about, feeding my horses mouldy hay they found in my poop pile, just overall stupidity! I swear at the sign that says Leaving City Limits, thats also where people leave any common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I usually have two dogs in the bed of my truck. My dog, friend as can be. SO's dog...hit or miss. Definitely a miss if he's in SO's truck by himself. I was sitting in my truck in the Sprawlmart parking lot on the phone one day, this SUV pulls up next to me. Four people get out. Passenger comes over and reaches out to pet the dogs. I crack my door and tell him not to do that. He stares. The driver, stares, shakes his head and does that "uucchhh" sound. Um. My dogs? My truck? Eff off?
    Here's a lawsuit waiting to happen. It's that attractive nuisance thing again. Esp if the dogs are loose back there but even if they are tied and can reach (or be reached) and they bite someone, it is your fault. Particularly if it can be proved you know one of them is not friendly. They don't even have to bite someone if one lunges or barks suddenly within biting range when some little old person is walking by and gets startled and falls and breaks their hip, guess who pays?

I'd contain the dogs in kennels or in the truck or get a cap.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I boarded (briefly) at a beautiful barn on a piece of property that was being turned into an "equestrian community." Shortly after I, with my only just ex stallion who is allergic to absolutely everything, and a friend of mine with her very spectacular and expensive stallion, moved on to the property, we discovered that the developer liked throw huge parties on the property where people were allowed to wander around the barns unsupervised.

They objected to the notices I put up on my stall requesting no hand feeding--they made the place look untidy. Not half as untidy as a colicking horse, or a child missing it's fingers, believe me.

After a few long and boring evenings riding shotgun on someone else's parties, and a series of other boneheaded occurances, we both left.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    JanM, I couldn't agree more. I live in an equestrian development with dedicated equestrian trails and parkland that is PRIVATE homeowners' association property. I can't tell you how many "tourists" I have encountered over the years trespassing on private property. On Thanksgiving I encountered two women walking dogs (one unleashed) on private HOA property while trail riding. I politely asked the women to please leash her dog as it could chase and spoke the horses. When she refushed and copped an attitude, I informed her that she was walking her dog on private property and she and her dogs had no rights to be there. She proceeded to call me a Bitch. Unbelieveable!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    JanM, I couldn't agree more. I live in an equestrian development with dedicated equestrian trails and parkland that is PRIVATE homeowners' association property. I can't tell you how many "tourists" I have encountered over the years trespassing on private property. On Thanksgiving I encountered two women walking dogs (one unleashed) on private HOA property while trail riding. I politely asked the women to please leash her dog as it could chase and spoke the horses. When she refushed and copped an attitude, I informed her that she was walking her dog on private property and she and her dogs had no rights to be there. She proceeded to call me a Bitch. Unbelieveable!
    This is exactly the reason I am NOT going to keep my horse at home once we move to CA. There are no other horses adjacent to us, and I have no faith in people. I am petrified some stupid neighbor will bring his/her small children across the trail, into our backyard, and either get trampled by my goofy-ass horse or get bitten by our friendly yet protective Bulldogge or GSD. I want NO part of that. And I plan on putting at least three or four signs up around our fenceline that states the obvious..."DO NOT FEED ANIMALS" or something similar. People are so stupid.

You need this sign. Redudnantly posted around the property
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0JWaV5ciAL...the+horses.jpg

Honestly this is why I'm hesitant to finish the fencing and move horses to the other property my land lady owns down the street. The renters don't use the pasture....but since we put that barn up you bet they use that! Went to go work on getting stalls set up and couldn't get to the darn thing for all the crud piled up under the overhang and the lawnmower parked there.....the feed room in the little shed row barn has apparently become extra storage for them as well.

Of course land lady would not have known this if I had not taken her haffy down that way to hit the trail head behind the property, which I had difficulty accessing because of equipment parked blocking the alley between it and the neighbor's property which is what leads to the trail head. >.< She was not pleased. There is a 2 car garage and 2 utility/storage sheds for this purpose. Plus, I don't know all the inhabitants, just the two main tennants, and their small army of children.

I'm a mama bear when it comes to the horses. The poor teens who we caught standing on the fence trying to feed carrots to my mustang and yearling....It's bad enough when I go to work and cannot keep tabs on what is going on here, I think I'll have to install security camera's and will be watching the horses/get no sleep when I do move two down there.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Unfortunately, many people seem to thing the universe centers on them, and anything they want to do is fine. It comes from the way many people are raised as entitled little brats.
    Yet another casualty of the "self-esteem" priority. You give EVERYBODY trophies because they "deserve" them just for being "themselves," not EARNING anything in any way. Because of this, be prepared for people to think thay're "entitled" to everything there is, whether it's YOURS or not.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    I guess I'm different. I at first thought this was a strange man, not a renter. Sure he shouldn't have been in there, personally I would have been a lot kinder. Who knows when you get stuck at work and you may just need to call your renter to help out.

Sure I would have told him he cannot be in with the horse, as your insurance won't cover it, but having someone eager to help can be a blessing at times, ask me how I know.
    You and I are in the minority here.

I think the rest of you simply shouldn't rent houses on your horse farms, or perhaps anywhere else.

I have rented houses for ages. I have also sublet places. I can count on one hand the time I couldn't figure out "who someone is" by the time I signed an agreement.

What are the rest of you doing? How are you getting so surprised? Did you not include the tour, the verbal and written, "don't mess with the horses" part of things when you met the would-be renter to show him the place? Did you not watch for his reaction? Did you not get a sense of how honest or not these folks were? How "like you" or unlike you in the way they had common sense about people, about animals, about making word and deed match, about filth or raging parties?

Quote Originally Posted by Somermist View Post
    I agree. I am all for being kind, but until you have had one of situations happen to you, you can't know. ...

When we evicted them, it cost us so much money. Every window was broke, every door had a whole in it, the carpet was trash, all appliances broke, sledge hammer to garage door.

Not worth it. You can't help everyone, and sometimes no matter how nice and accomodating you are, it is not going to work. I have learned to be ok with that. JMO.
    How did you get from "let's sign an agreement with them paying three months of rent up front (first, last, security)" to "they took a sledge hammer to the garage door"? I can't tell the difference between careless people and retaliatory damage in your story.

But if you don't ask if you had a part in producing that, then you really are out of luck. You'll rent to no one and lose some of the benefits of having a tenant to help you cover the mortgage or whatever else.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbutt View Post
    I have to add my two non horsey, but acreage related trespasses, piss off's. This was about 8 - 10 years ago when I had property with the now ex.

We bought property, and stripped the trees, spent tens of thousands of dollars, leveling 12 acres, pulling roots, rocks etc... we had been up there for about 2 months, still living in the camper trailer while we developed the land. The perimeter fencing was up, except no gates on the driveways.

I wake up one morning to hear an engine just roaring very close by. We are about 45 minutes from town, and back onto a forestry service road, and Crown (Park) land. So no reason to hear the same engine gunning it over and over again.

I peak my head out of the camper to see some a hole, sorry a couple of them, in a big lifted 4x4 truck just ripping up our freshly planted hay field. All of my 5 ft nothing, 110 sopping wetness in my whinney the pooh pj's go storming across the field with the mouth of a truck driver. The polite translate would have been what are you doing in our field. Which came out with a lot of *(&$*&#$*(%$&@($%&*&. The driver looked at me and said, well we didn't think you'd care, we are just test driving my new 4x4. Yeah he soon learned exactly how much I cared.

Then the second one, which to this day baffles me. Our driveway from the main road was straight up, looks like to just goes into bush. And because of the steep grade we put across a gate and a sign that said private drive way, no trespassing, right beside our house number sign. Now granted you can't see the house, but its very obvious its a private residence. So I come home one day, and I see a vehicle parked in the middle of my driveway so I can't get up the driveway or open the gate. I park at the neighbours and am just STEAMING ! So I take matters into my own hands, I can't have him towed because bylaws wont do that on a private residence. I wait for about 30 minutes and finally I am just livid. So i do something totally not nice, and I'm still not sure I did the most appropriate thing, although after you hear the response, you may change your mind.
    I take a stick, go to his tire, take off the air thingy cap, and let the tire go flat. I know now he has to call for a tow, and the evil part of me feels better. And I haul my child and groceries and such up the 1/4 mile to my house. I'm still seathing though, so I walk down the driveway to see if they have dealt with the situation. He is there changing his tire, and I say to him, as nicely as I can (not like the above situation) "Maybe next time you could not park in my driveway and block it". His answer back to me is " It doesn't say don't park here" - At this point I loose it, and ask him how would he feel if I decided to park my vehicle on his front lawn in the city, cuz I'm almost positive you don't have a sign that say "Do not park on my lawn" much like most normal people don't have to post signs that say Do not park in my driveway.

Plenty of stories of people also that would trespass to ask for me to take them up to the sites in the forest that they had heard about, feeding my horses mouldy hay they found in my poop pile, just overall stupidity! I swear at the sign that says Leaving City Limits, thats also where people leave any common sense.
    Next time 2 tires.... note to self.....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Wow, I have never had a problem with people with children feeding treats at the barn I board at. I see people feeding my older guy and he just loves it ! There are people around when we have "guests" but I guess I'm in the minority here. A couple of people have signs "No treats please" but it has never been a big deal.

oh he meant well. But definitely needs a reminder of liability issues and you're happy to show him and his girls the horses whenever you ARE around, otherwise, they need to avoid the barn. If there's an issue, you'd love a call but remind them the danger of horses.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You and I are in the minority here.

I think the rest of you simply shouldn't rent houses on your horse farms, or perhaps anywhere else.

I have rented houses for ages. I have also sublet places. I can count on one hand the time I couldn't figure out "who someone is" by the time I signed an agreement.

What are the rest of you doing? How are you getting so surprised? Did you not include the tour, the verbal and written, "don't mess with the horses" part of things when you met the would-be renter to show him the place? Did you not watch for his reaction? Did you not get a sense of how honest or not these folks were? How "like you" or unlike you in the way they had common sense about people, about animals, about making word and deed match, about filth or raging parties?

How did you get from "let's sign an agreement with them paying three months of rent up front (first, last, security)" to "they took a sledge hammer to the garage door"? I can't tell the difference between careless people and retaliatory damage in your story.

But if you don't ask if you had a part in producing that, then you really are out of luck. You'll rent to no one and lose some of the benefits of having a tenant to help you cover the mortgage or whatever else.
    Well, I guess then maybe I am not meant to rent. The first, last and security did not begin to cover the damage. They did not want to move, I guess they got mad.

I don't really think I had a part in producing the choices these people made. When they rented they were employed and seemed stable. This was not the case when they left. I am not going to get into it, lets just say that I was the least of their problems at that point. If you think you could have predicted what was going to happen here, more power to you.

I'm ok with have the house occupied by my mom at this point. She needs us here, she watches the foals in the front pasture, it makes us all happy. So, win, win.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Should he have been anywhere near the horses? Of course not. Should you (or your parents) told him not to go near the horses under penalty of death? Yup. By not setting clear and distinct boundaries (whether it's horses, parties, # of occupants, anything) you're inviting tenants to do whatever they see fit. Whoever is the authority there should share the blame for not being up front and brutally honest with the guy (and his kids) as to what is, and what is NOT allowed. (And yes, I've had tenants. Some better than others. )
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I would add the lease clause with an addendum asap to cover yourself until he's evicted. In my state - it takes 6 months or longer to actually evict someone. It's not easy.

I have a 2nd house on the property also. I rented it out one time. Never again. The older non horsey people (with very long specific lease and barriers clearly stated) fed my tbs all kinds of things. Poisoned one to the tune of $4k vet bill to save him. He admitted what he gave him but wouldn't tell the police when I tried to have him arrested. My cameras weren't up/running then so I couldn't "prove" it was him. Still took me 5m to get rid of him after that. The legal system is a bitch. I refuse to rent it out again. I've adopted a life long horsemen grandpa that stays there now - in exchange for mowing my grass once/month.

Be very careful of who you let in the property!

Upon further observation, Mr. Hippy seems to have thought that moving to the country would mean we'd be one big happy family like Little House on the Prairie. He WAS told not to mess with the horse by my parents when they first started moving in. He just seems a bit overzealous and was 'trying to help'. Meh, I'm over it now. If he had just been petting or feeding treats it wouldn't have bothered me near as much. I think he's gotten the idea now, thankfully. Unfortunately, my parents really need to income from renting or believe me, we wouldn't do it. Apart from the kum-bay-yah tendences they do seem like good renters, very clean and paying up front. As long as the boundaries stay clear I think we'll be ok. Just needed a vent when it happened!
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Wow, I have never had a problem with people with children feeding treats at the barn I board at. I see people feeding my older guy and he just loves it ! There are people around when we have "guests" but I guess I'm in the minority here. A couple of people have signs "No treats please" but it has never been a big deal.
    I absolutely do have a problem with it. Not so much if it's supervised and with permission, but you have no way of knowing WHAT or how much STRANGERS are feeding your horses, and I'm certainly not interested in another vet bill - nevermind the lawsuit if they get hurt, which could easily cause someone to lose their farm.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    I'd be evicting his butt, but I'm kind of a bitch that way.
    THIS ^^