The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about Matcho AA, what did he bring to the table?

My horse has Matcho AA on his dam's side, http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/magneto5 and so far, every horse I've seen with Matcho AA I've liked! He was an Anglo Arab from what I understand. From a breeding standpoint, what did he typically bring to the table and improve upon? Besides BLACK--lol! What were his weaknesses?

Number 6 - Stanford, with Matcho as the damsire, at the latest Hanoverian auction (link to the list below) is really nice, I love his walk, and my horse has an equally nice walk! Although that also could have some from somewhere else because the rest of this horse's pedigree isn't too bad either!!

http://www.hannoveraner.tv/app/_view...sfeld_03122011

Matcho was known for adding rideability, refinement (in a period when that was needed) and versatility. Not sure of his weaknesses. I think all 3 gaits were above average, and most from the Matcho line can jump well, and calmly. Not the big knee-enhanced trot so popular today.

I have a gelding with Macho as his damsire. Super correct gaits (I've gotten a ten on a walk). Not the fanciest trot but plenty of lift, and a fabulous canter. He also has a great brain, starting 4th level as a 7 year old with an AA rider.

http://www.germanhorseconnection.com.../details/00096

He was a beautiful horse, and winner of the stallion testing against Hanoverians. I have an interest in him too as he is the damsire of my homebred's sire.

Technically, Matcho AA did not win a stallion testing "against" Hanoverians. He was first in the licensing test at Adelheidsdorf in 1982--Adelheidsdorf is typically where Hanoverians would go to test, because it is in the geographic region of Hanover. Matcho and a few other AA's have been used in the breed to lighten it and give it rideability. The Hanoverians typically used TB's, Trak's and AA's for this purpose in the 1980's. The AA's do jump as they were bred for that--have been good eventers in Europe over the years.

Testing center selections by stallion owners have changed over the past 10+ years and many horses now go to different centers depending on many factors.

Whatever ... he was 1st of 39 stallions at the test and the rest were not AAs.

Rideability and type that's what I corellate him with mostly. Weakness: Probably a latent lack of size as most of his progeny were within the 16-16.1 range which is considered 'too small' by many of the hardcore breeders around here.
    Interestingly he seems to have gained more influence through his daughters than his sons which holds true for a variety of other 'stamping' stallions too. e.g. Prince Thatch xx daughters are held in high favor yet there are few approved sons who come anywhere close to their sires' credentials...

I have ridden a 3rd Level Match AA sired gelding (do not remember the dam line) and 2 Matcho AA dam sired horses, (one by Florestan, one by Weltruhm) both PSG/I1 level. All were very rideable, friendly horses with good gaits. The gelding sired by him was so very pretty - a beautiful head and neck with a very soft, kind temperment. Fun enough for the professionals to play on but easy enough to quietly carry around beginner riders. The type of horse you could have sold to Ad.Am. clients 20x's over. He was more limited in his ability but was solid 3rd/4th Level. The 2 dam-sired Matcho AA's were also quite easy going, all 3 had good walks, ok trots and good canters. I really like them.

Matcho is a French-bred Anglo-Arab. His paternal grandsire, Nithard, is dam's sire of both Quick Star and Olisco (and is in many other French pedigrees). So, yes, I suppose offspring could have some jump.

My research also told me Matcho brought alot of good traits to the table. I have a young Elite Mare (His Highness/Matcho) which I bred to Wild Dance. (Wolkenstein II/Matcho). I love this stallion and was worried about the double up of Matcho but was given advice from expert that this would be very, very good thing.

We'll see comes May, 2012... This foal is available for sale in-utero.. however, only colt option. This young mare has produced top foals at every inspection and a USDF Regional Champion. We are very excited to see the result of this pairing.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.