The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Trailer shopping spin-off - How far will you drive?

Scenario:

Trailer #1. New 2010 Corn Pro 16'L, 7'T, 6'8"W. Waiting on pictures to land in the inbox. Located in Lexington, KY. To pick up said trailer, hubby will drive 1 1/2 out of his way from FL while en route to home in IL. Will not be able to see this trailer before buying it, however, dealer has agreed to hold the trailer for $100. Price of trailer, $4950

Trailer #2. Used 2000 Corn Pro, same stats. Pictures show well. http://www.horsetrailersgalore.com/H..._16_Stock.html
    Located 5 hours away from me, who would essentially be driving with my dad in his V10, rough-riding F250 to check it out and potentially purchase. Price is significantly less at $2995.

We plan on buying outright, with cash, so there is a tiny bit of wiggle room. Funny how dealers suddenly recall they can shave off a couple hundred bucks when dealing with cash...Anyway, is it worth driving the 10 hours to check out a trailer that potentially wouldn't be sound? My main concerns are floorboards, rust, and the bearings.

However, an extra $2000 in savings would definitely be a huge benefit with the new house, move, etc. Just looking for opinions!!

I made a 6 hr. trip down to NC to buy a 1999 Adam 2h. aluminium bumper pull that was advertised on Tacktrader. Did not have photos other than the one that was posted to the ad. After a lengthy phone conversation with the owner & the assurance that it was in new condition, I took the chance and it was road trip time. Basically, I told the seller, in a nice but firm way, not to make me drive 6 hrs. to see a POS and to make sure the trailer was represented as it truly was.

Trailer was as described, barely having been used a handful of times, the price was incredible and I still have it today. Was well worth the 12 hr. round trip drive.

The way I looked at it, my BFF and I had a great time rockin' the CD player, checking out the sights and even got to drive through the original Mayberry, NC. If I came home with an empty hitch, it was still a fun day road trip.
    Last edited by Outfxed; Nov. 22, 2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added additional info
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I drove six hours to get mine. It was pretty easy because I knew the exact make/model of trailer that I was looking for, just had to find it close enough. I made sure to get lots of pictures before driving up, and had a quick chat on the phone with them. The guy (a long-distance trucker) actually agreed to deliver it to me for the full cash price, so I didn't even have to worry about dragging it home with me that day.

I made a long trip (4+ hours each way) to buy my trailer. Went to see one particular Hawk, and ended up buying a different, newer Adam. Worth the trip because I knew it was a dealership, and they had more than one. And as someone else said, DH and I made a day of it.

I drove about 3hrs each way for mine. It was almost-new, the people selling it just wanted it gone so it was well worth it $-wise. Only downside was, the brakes didn't really work so I had to drive it all the way home, basically without brakes. Which didn't cause any problems, Iit just took a bit longer going a little slower.

I was going to say that an 11 year old steel trailer does not excite me very much, but I looked at the picture and it is suprisingly low on rust. My only other thought was, I stopped at a lot to look at a similar trailer in age and it was also in great shape, but was suprised when I climbed ontop off the wheels to discover how bad the roof seems were--rusted/holes.

Are they the original tires? That can add quite a bit right there...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    I was going to say that an 11 year old steel trailer does not excite me very much, but I looked at the picture and it is suprisingly low on rust. My only other thought was, I stopped at a lot to look at a similar trailer in age and it was also in great shape, but was suprised when I climbed ontop off the wheels to discover how bad the roof seems were--rusted/holes.

Are they the original tires? That can add quite a bit right there...
    That's my hesitance, right there. It appears to be well-maintained and all, but I have been doing A LOT of shopping around and haven't seen a trailer this low that was in very good shape, as it appears to be.

I looked at one that was almost 20 years old and they wanted $3000 for it!!

I'll be calling today, so I'll keep updates. Man I hope it's worth itt!

I drove 10 hours each way to buy my most current trailer- a 2008 Hart w/ LQs.

You have to decide how much your time is worth versus the price of the trailer.

Well, I may have set the record. Drove from Nebraska to Wellington FL to buy a 5/6 horse head to head Sundowner off Horsetrailerworld, with nothing but the pictures............took me two days to get down there, two days home, but the trailer was a steal.

What about a new Corn pro closer to home so you do not have to go out of your way. My guess is the 10 hour round trip could add up to 250.00 or more in gas which is 5% of the trailer plus time.

I drove from St Louis, MO to Columbus, OH for my trailer. Got 4 horse bumper pull stock trailer that was modified to 3 horse slant with dressing room for $2000. Very litte/no rust :-)

The used Corn Pro looks nice, except a couple iffy floor boards. Any chance they can get you a couple more photos of the wood?

We drove 6 hours round trip to buy my trailer. I bought it from just the pictures on Horse Trailer World.

I second the tire thing. I just had to put new tires on my trailer and paid $600 for them. It can definelty decrease the value if you need to buy new tires fairly soon.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I think the Horse Trailer Gods are telling me to buy a new one. The used had been sold a while back. They asked what website I was on because they thought they had updated them all. Well, they missed one!

Looks like we'll be getting a new trailer, one way or another. Every time I find a good used one, it disappears like cupcakes around kids...

A bit late, but no way in hell would I make a 10 hour round trip to try and save $2000 buying an 11 year old stock trailer. By the time you pay for gas and "tune up" the used trailer; tires, fix floor, wiring, lighting, service bearing/brakes, etc. you've eaten up most of the 2K you saved vs. the new one.....and it's still 11 years older.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Years ago DH drove 8 hours each way on Christmas eve to buy a "never seen a horse" Featherlite 4H head to head that was being sold due to divorce (by the non-horsey husband). The invoice for $28,900) was still in the dressing room...we paid $12,000!!! Sold it 4 years later for $15,000. Sometimes the trip is worth the money!!!
    I would really want to check out an 11 year old trailer in person before paying, though. Worn wheel bearings, worn brakes, lights that don't work, other little things don't show in pictures.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Well, shopping starts all over again. The dealership sold the new trailer today, despite me saying I would gladly put money down after checking the pictures.

Asshats.

This is getting really old.

Don't worry. If you are willing to spend the 5k on a new one, you should be able to find one shortly. It's the used ones that are so tricky.

I think you made the right choice (even though it was made for you).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/