The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 18, 2011
    Location
    Southern Appalachia
    Posts
    265

    Default Allergy/Asthma Attacks -- dogs

    Hey guys,

    So my dog has been having these mysterious allergic-asthma like attacks. So far she has had 2 bad ones. It really seems like she is struggling to breathe and quits like 2 or 3 minutes later. It's making me really scared . She hasn't really hacked up a bunch of stuff or anything, but I am just trying to figure out what it could be She has also been scratching a lot.

    I am currently switching her to Taste of the Wild's fish based food, in case it is a food allergy she's had a lot of like chicken, beef or pork. But I am not able to see any effects from this yet as its still being mixed with her old food.

    What else could it be? She goes to the barn with me, and chews on hoof clippings a lot. She also rolls around a lot in the pine shavings.

    What else could it be? any ideas? I am worried about my poor old girl.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,446

    Default

    Take the animal to the vet.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 18, 2011
    Location
    Southern Appalachia
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I mentioned it to the vet the last time I went a couple of weeks ago, vet said that its probably a food allergy, recommend switching diets to something she hasn't had before, I am just thinking wanting other ideas.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,323

    Default

    I had an asthma cat where it was not food related at all. It was just her. We treated her for a long time with quarterly-ish steroid injections and have now moved to oral steroids when she seems to be having issues. It seems that she's growing out of it a bit as she ages. She also moved about 60 miles south, with a friend of mine, so I suppose it could be environmental.

    I would not be so quick to blame food, and if you are concerned, I would really talk to your vet about steroids or other treatment alternatives.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada.
    Posts
    6,366

    Default

    Does it look like this by any chance?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnGNClqdX0



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    yonder a bit, GA
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    Squish, thanks for posting a video of that... I was thinking this may be what the OP is talking about but was having a hard time figuring out how I'd describe it!
    If it IS that reverse sneeze... Schnoodle1 in my house will do that occasionally, as will Aussie1 and the lab. Haven't really seen the others do it, maybe once or so, though a flat coated retriever type we're fostering right now has been doing it some lately.
    If it persists and the dog seems disturbed by the events, before or after, I'd swing by the vet just to rule out something strange. Typically, however, our dogs just do it for a little while then are done and move on with their day. They look dreadful in the moment but get over it immediately, and it isn't so long lasting or frequently that I worry.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 18, 2011
    Location
    Southern Appalachia
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Squish, thanks for posting a video of that... I was thinking this may be what the OP is talking about but was having a hard time figuring out how I'd describe it!
    If it IS that reverse sneeze... Schnoodle1 in my house will do that occasionally, as will Aussie1 and the lab. Haven't really seen the others do it, maybe once or so, though a flat coated retriever type we're fostering right now has been doing it some lately.
    If it persists and the dog seems disturbed by the events, before or after, I'd swing by the vet just to rule out something strange. Typically, however, our dogs just do it for a little while then are done and move on with their day. They look dreadful in the moment but get over it immediately, and it isn't so long lasting or frequently that I worry.

    It's quite similar to the video but my dog seems more severe and she sounds like she is choking to and partially hacking.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,558

    Default

    Vet. My dog had something similar...it turned out to be blastomycosis. We lost her. It's a dreadful disease and is misdiagnosed frequently. I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm saying further investigation might be needed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada.
    Posts
    6,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Vet. My dog had something similar...it turned out to be blastomycosis. We lost her. It's a dreadful disease and is misdiagnosed frequently. I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm saying further investigation might be needed.
    Interesting... we see quite a few blasto cases,but most of them are quiet, and not "normal" between hacking episodes. But, I guess it has to start somewhere right?

    Yep...I'd second vet if the issue doesnt resolve itself in a day or two, or if it gets worse or the dog has ANY behavioural changes. Not worth waiting if its something serious.

    On the sidenote, one of my dog reverse sneezes at least 2 times daily...sometimes she hacks afterwards and a gob of mucous comes out. However, she has been doing this since she was a puppy (and is now 11). I did work her up,but it turned out to be nothing. $ was worth my piece of mind.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 18, 2011
    Location
    Southern Appalachia
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Interesting... we see quite a few blasto cases,but most of them are quiet, and not "normal" between hacking episodes. But, I guess it has to start somewhere right?

    Yep...I'd second vet if the issue doesnt resolve itself in a day or two, or if it gets worse or the dog has ANY behavioural changes. Not worth waiting if its something serious.

    On the sidenote, one of my dog reverse sneezes at least 2 times daily...sometimes she hacks afterwards and a gob of mucous comes out. However, she has been doing this since she was a puppy (and is now 11). I did work her up,but it turned out to be nothing. $ was worth my piece of mind.
    She doesnt do it on a regular basis, she has only done it twice or three times. But she has been scratching a LOT and she does snore horrendously, if thats related at all.

    The ONLY thing that is not keeping me from going to the vet TOMORROW is that she JUST had a complete (geriatric) exam. They check everything -- complete blood work, kidney/diabetes, etc. screening -- the works. All tests came back perfect. She is due to go back in a month because we've been having ear infection issues.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver



Similar Threads

  1. Allergy Shots for Dogs
    By Bouncingthetrot in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Feb. 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
  2. Asthma and the T3DE
    By gully's pilot in forum Eventing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
  3. Anyone else have a cat with asthma?
    By Beethoven in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr. 21, 2011, 12:09 PM
  4. hay cubes for asthma
    By jillya in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 6, 2011, 08:48 PM
  5. Do horses get asthma?
    By joharavhf in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan. 24, 2009, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •