The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Oh guys, this isn't the HALF of it. And bumknees, no I don't think she had car trouble. I think she really didn't want to drive from Long Island to my part of NJ, but that is, of course my opinion.

I bought this saddle, custom for my horse, and received it in March 2011. Upon receipt, when I put it on him it did not fit. I called the rep, and the next person up, and complained. The rep came out. She said she measured/fit the saddle to the horse for when he muscled up, as he was lacking some muscle on his topline. She advised that it wasn't a perfect fit NOW, but given some time and muscling it would be a much better fit. Well, i muscled. I rode, i gave it time. Now, the saddle does not fit. Sure, it fits DIFFERENT than it did. But my custom saddle doesn't fit. I first noticed it a few weeks ago, when the saddle would slip back pretty far by the end of the ride. But horsies was going really well, so I didn't really think anything of it. Then came the tail swishing and indicators that he was unhappy (He was NOT a swishy tail kind of ride). So, i switched back to my old butet (whcih didn't really fit him well, but seemed OK) This all transpired over the course of the last couple of weeks. Now, he is swishy every ride and starting to want to go behind the vertical...YIKES!

I have been in contact with Antares in Silver Spring and yes, they said if I get the saddle to them, they can do the repair. Hey Antares? What am I supposed to ride in while you send the saddle back to France because of a latent defect? Hmmm? Remember, the saddle was custom for my horse. Should I give him a month off? So you see why I am a little..um..peeved.

I am going to call them today (and not be angry, just firm)..and yes to the poster that said maybe I have been a little too nice and accommodating? DH often says that about me.

Thanks again for the input. It's good to know that I'm not over reacting.

oh, and I STILL haven't gotten a response from Silver Spring to my email on Saturday and subsequent email on Tuesday. Go figure.

That's really a shame, I am sorry you have had such a hard time. They did offer me a saddle to ride in, but my trainer had one so I didnt bother. I hope everything works out and you get what you expected and paid for.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Call and speak with the owner. I can't remember her name, but she was the only sane and rational person I was ever able to deal with at Antares. I had a nightmare experience with them two years ago and will never deal with them again because of it, but bottom line it was the owner who finally made things as right as they were going to be.

well, i got an email back...pretty much reiterating that my rep is the only one in the area and she's away. They are "trying" to see if they can get someone else to service the area while she is gone. Looks like I am in for a little fight. SIGH. Why can't customer service be just that...customer SERVICE?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I had a very similar situation with my custom Antares not fitting my horse correctly. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while (oh, it just needs to be broken in a bit, oh, the horse just needs more topline, etc.) You know what? At the end of the day, the darn thing just didn't fit. I made them take it back and return my money.

I went back to a Butet and have had zero problems since then.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    well, i got an email back...pretty much reiterating that my rep is the only one in the area and she's away. They are "trying" to see if they can get someone else to service the area while she is gone. Looks like I am in for a little fight. SIGH. Why can't customer service be just that...customer SERVICE?
    I have a hard time believing that there is one rep for the entire tri-state area. That just seems preposterous to me. Even if that were true, a good company would have already done everything in their power to have a fitter come out, even a trusted third-party fitter.

Guess I know what my next saddle *won't* be.

At least last April, there was a very good rep near Devon, Pa. She came to me in northern VA in snow and high winds (not the best for trying a saddle!). But it all worked out fine. Wonder why Antares can't ask her to come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I had a very similar situation with my custom Antares not fitting my horse correctly. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while (oh, it just needs to be broken in a bit, oh, the horse just needs more topline, etc.) You know what? At the end of the day, the darn thing just didn't fit. I made them take it back and return my money.

I went back to a Butet and have had zero problems since then.
    LMAO that's exactly what I was told...oh your horse needs more muscle, we fit it for the horse that you WILL have, not this horse that you have today b/c if we fit the horse today, the saddle won't fit in 6 months...I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my old butet (it's a 2000) - but it doesn't fit my horse. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt too...for now.

Tha Ridge..you got it. That's the way I feel. I mean, I'm in NJ for goodness sake. It's not like I am in Montana or something.

Tutt, I am less than 2 hours from Devon.

I am beginning to HATE Antares.... GRRR... 'we're sorry for your inconvenience and will try to get a rep to you as soon as possible, but all of the reps are at the big shows in Fl or CA."

So what does that make me and my saddle who stay home...crap?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I am beginning to HATE Antares.... GRRR... 'we're sorry for your inconvenience and will try to get a rep to you as soon as possible, but all of the reps are at the big shows in Fl or CA."

What it means is: "We are only interested in selling new saddles, not providing good service to the customers who have already paid us."

I once actually flew to WEF with the unacceptable saddle in my arms, and stood in the vendor's booth loudly insisting that "Someone needs to deal with this expensive saddle that doesn't even come close to fitting the horse you made it for." Made all those prospective new saddle customers standing there with their checkbooks in hand a little nervous!!!

I got very quick service after that.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Tutt View Post
    At least last April, there was a very good rep near Devon, Pa. She came to me in northern VA in snow and high winds (not the best for trying a saddle!). But it all worked out fine. Wonder why Antares can't ask her to come to you.
    If this was the same person I had over the summer...her name is no longer listed on the Antares site as a representative. Not that I would have recommended her anyway....still waiting on that call back....

LucassB.. LMAO. I wish I could do that. I agree, they are only in the business of selling saddles. I am boiling mad...

Antares is, hands down, the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. My saddle has had two, count them TWO broken trees for no reason at all. Dealing with Antares has taken years off of my life.

Put bluntly, they just plain s*ck.

Do you know a good fitter near you? (I'm in NY, but admittedly don't know any.) Anyway, if you do, I would call Antares and say "Since you can't help me, I'm going to call XYZ out and you're going to pay for it." Worth a shot.

Finealready, i think i am right there with you. Perhaps we should forward this thread to them.. wait, i don't think it will make a darn bit of difference. I probably should have spent my $4000+ somewhere else...

Finealready, i think i am right there with you. Perhaps we should forward this thread to them.. wait, i don't think it will make a darn bit of difference. I probably should have spent my $4000+ somewhere else...
    From personal experience with the other two big french saddle brands, I don't think you'd have much more luck.

Never again will I pay for something I can't take it and try first, with a money back guarantee if it doesn't fit.

I had 3 Antares in 2002/2003 and they all slid forward. I finally got annoyed as they kept wanting hundreds of dollars to trade them in so I took mine to the local tack shop and sold it. We do have a few clients with Antares and they are very nice, although a lot of saddle underneath you. To each their own.

It is not like you are getting a truly custom saddle, just a combination of standard measurements. They should be able to send you one with a different tree to see if that fits.

Now I have a DelGrange USA (which I think is no more, but Delgrange Canada should still be around). Anyway, we have a barn of 27 horses and ponies. Fits every single one with just a single foam half pad underneath.

Maybe you could swap yours in for a different brand? They always have tons of used saddles at the shows that they get in on trade.

You should try getting ahold of Thierry. He is the owner and rocks. Also, the Southern CA rep, Paul, is great, too.

Tha Ridge..that' s called mitigating your damages. Yes, i could do that and attempt to get Antares to pay for it. I rode in the saddle last night and it wasn't HORRIBLE. But what it did do was slip SO far back that the girth is 6 inches behind where it is SUPPOSED to me...putting the saddle really far back. Now my horse has a huge shoulder and every saddle tends to sit on the to of his shoulder blade, restricting his movement..hence why I bought the custom saddle. ANd, i realize that they are not true customs...but still. Will take the next step, since ANtares is insisting that I pay to ship the saddle to them in MD for the repair of the latent defect. NO way. with my luck, i wont pack it right and it will get damaged. In my normal course of business, i don't pack and ship saddles. I wouldn;t even know what the best way to ship it would be. Of course, when I asked antares, they didn't respond to that question.

Do you have a lawyer? If someone jerked me around like this company is doing to you, I would gladly pay up for some resolution. Also, contact the BBB. It can't hurt to lodge an official complaint.

I have to say though, I LOVE the idea of showing up with your saddle at the show. I know you don't want to spend the $, but a plane ticket and a night in FL might be fun - almost as much fun as making a horrific scene in front of all of their potential customers. I think flights to FL are quite affordable right now. Mini-vacay with a side of justice?

Showidaho. Yeah, i do. thanks