The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Who else does not hunt during firearm deer season?

My husband and I were working at clipping our horses and cleaning tack today, getting excited about our Thanksgiving hunt. Here in Michigan, firearm deer season is November 15-30, and as a courtesy to landowners, we suspend hunting during that time, except for Thanksgiving day. It acts to make T-day even more special, because we're itching to get back out there!
    Do other hunts do the same thing?

If I was in an area that hunted (oh how I miss it!) I would refrain as well. I avoid riding anywhere near timber or known deer stands during the season as well. More out of safety than respect, honestly. Something about a bunch of rednecks (I am one; I don't mean that in a derogatory manner) with shotguns, buckshot, deer fever, and probably at least a beer or a flask in their stand with them doesn't make me feel too safe aboard a chestnut horse...chrome or not lol.

I guess what I mean is: which Hunts also suspend their hunting during deer season? I don't go out cross country during deer season, just as a courtesy, not out of any fear for my safety...

My hunt in southern VA suspends weekday hunting during regular firearm season (Nov 19-Jan 7). We hunt on Sundays during this time.

Many hunts continue to hunt during this time, but adjust the fixtures hunted so that the land owners that deer hunt don't have to have their hunting disturbed.

We schedule fixtures so that they don't conflict, to the extent possible or practicable. We never suspend hunting. If deer hunters are going to be out on the same fixture, we just try and avoid them. We have had to cancel hunting, or avoid fixtures due to farming issues. (beans still in the field)

We've never had any problems with any other sportsmen, even if they were hunting at the same time we were. At one fixture we joined them for one helluva tailgate. Two guys had stayed back to cook, and they had a big BBQ ready and waiting. They invited us to join them, and we did! Big fun.

Twice we've come across young people who have made their first kill, one youngster was a girl hunting with her Dad. We stopped to congratulate them, folks took photos, and we chatted while the kids pet horses and hounds.

We try not to interfere with each other, and to be good sports when we do encounter other sportsmen. Depending on your territory though, it may work out better if you suspend or reschedule hunting. Lots of variables, especially if you're hunting a lot of public land.

In the south, everyone hunts on Thanksgiving, though!!!! Gotta keep meddlers out of the kitchen!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

All our fixtures are deer hunted, and aren't nearly large enough for everyone to be out at the same time. About half the land owners black out dates in the fall for bow hunting. Then the various (and very popular) firearm seasons total about 14 days from mid-Nov to mid-Jan, which means 5 or 6 of our hunts end up being canceled so the 'other' hunters can use the fixtures.

IMO, it's a fairly small price to pay to be able to use the land. Besides, I'm out deer hunting, myself...

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Like JSwan's hunt, our hunt also schedule fixtures/meets so that they don't conflict with the deer hunters. Hunting is only suspended for bad weather.

Our hunt moves from Saturday to Sunday in firearm season, and I suspect factors it into fixture choice.

When I've had more than a two word conversation with deer hunters in the woods at least as many are grateful for game getting flushed in the middle of the day as grumble about spoiling their sport.

We change fixtures during deer firearm season and hunt on private land where no deer hunting is allowed.

Our families have learned to keep the meddlers out of the kitchen, too!
    Funny quote: Bob walks into Tday dinner, still in his hunting duds, a few schmeers on his breeches and shirt, helmet hair etc. his nephew looks at him, smiles, and says "shucks! That is exactly the outfit that I was going to wear!"
    We have run into many responsible bow hunters who appreciate the movement of the deer provided by our passage.
    So, since we have this brief break in our hunting (2 weeks), but Thanksgiving is an absolute "gotta do", because we are just a bit twitchy by then!

We don't hunt during rifle season. Our last hunt was on Tuesday, November 15. Our next hunt will be Tuesday, December 6. MY next hunt will be Saturday, December 10.

To fill the time, we have our hunter pace on a Sunday and an occaisional trail ride, but I really don't feel like I've had a good weekend, unless I've been hunting.

I really like the way the calendar falls this year; we'll be hunting on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

We don't hunt during rifle season either. Seems like its been forever. Next hunt December fourth but I think that's still the last day of Antlerless Deer.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Lightbulb Nope, don't stop!

In many counties here in northern Virginia we do not stop foxhunting during deer season at all. A few don't hunt on the opening day of rifle season as it can be crazy out there. Our rifle deer season is from mid nov until mid march!!! We gots waaay too many deer up here!! Most foxhunts & the local deerhunters have a good relationship. They shoot our coyotes too when requested. We WANT them to decrease the deer population. Plus we have deer wasting disease, hemorrhagic disease etc.

Remember that it really comes down to what the landowner wants. Many landowners tell their hunters when the hunts coming so they can decide if they still wanna hunt that day. Many LIKE it those days because the deer are less wary and being moved around alot by the commotion. In 30 yrs I've only seen a fox get shot by a deerhunter once. Ruined our run and resulted in him losing his priveleges. Hope it was a lesson learned.

IMHO, it's a peaceful co-existance.

At Camargo we have the advantage of having fixtures in both Ohio and Kentucky, so we schedule ourselves in which ever state is not having their primary gun season. They seem to keep adding "specialty" gun seasons, black powder, muzzle loader, junior etc. It's inevitable that we have some crossover, so then it comes down to landowner schedules and preference.

We have two weeks for primary firearms here, plus tons of other specialty seasons, and still WAY too many deer. I was just curious if other Hunters have the same sense of anticipation for their thanksgiving hunt as we do, because of the break. Weather permitting, fox hunting starts again tomorrow. We have lots of "city folk" hunting around here, because we are just an hour out of Detroit, and it feels like many of them only hunt deer and don't really get the rural lifestyle.

Our hunts and even hound walking are canceled this week for deer hunting (we, too, have a lot of urban hunters. Many of whom fall into the "bad hunter" category.) and were canceled last week for weather. Actually, we've had several cancellations this month for weather to at least *try* to preserve the fixtures, in addition to three hunts canceled for deer hunting. I think EVERYONE is really, really looking forward to getting back out again.
    ---------------------------