The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Soy intolerance?

Im wondering if my horse might have a problem digesting soy. Is this a real issue or am I jumping to a wrong conclusion? He has very dry, constipated manure (which caused impation colic) and he is very sensitive. Just wanted to know if that is a consideration!

It is definitely a problem for some horses. Mine tend to get bloated and gain weight quickly on soy. I've also had horses get nervous and flighty on it. I've heard of horses that can get very gassy also.

I just removed soy from the diet of my 9 year old miniature gelding. He's always been chubby, but in the last 6 months he went to fat with a hard cresty neck, and that is in spite of more exercise. He was also gassy, boated, dull coat that bleached easy, and lethargic acting. Two weeks after quitting his rashion balancer w/soy he looks and acts way better. He has much less gas, is no longer tooting liquid, the bloated look in his belly/flank area is down, coat is softer and shiny, and his hard neck is now soft. He is still fat of course, that will take time. Some other interesting things that he has had going on since I bought him two years ago was runny eyes and swollen salivary glands. His previous owner also fed a soy based rashion balancer. Two weeks on nothing but hay and handful of wet alfalfa pellets w/vitamins and he is like a new pony. Anywhere from 75-100% better of all symptoms after two weeks off soy. I am very excited to see if he will shed better this spring, he's always been very late to drop his winter coat. I feel so bad that I have been making him sick for two years believing a was feeding a healthy program.

We have switched to a soy free diet for a variety of reasons, most of which is our mare's reaction to it.

It is very difficult to find soy free feeds. We are back to hay, alfalfa pellets and minerals.

IMO, soy is bad, GMO soy is even worse.

My soy sensitive mare--and please note it is soybean meal they are sensitive to generally (I thought mine was sensitive to hulls too, but was mistaken and soybean oil is not an issue with her either)--will bloat and get really runny eyes. Remove the soybean meal and her eyes clear up instantly.

Triple Crown Low-Starch and Triple Crown Lite do not have soybean meal. They do contain soybean hulls and soybean oil. My guys get alfalfa pellets (which also has soybean oil) and beet pulp.

The feed that made my miniature so sick was was Triple Crown Lite. It has soybean hulls as the #2 ingredient and soy oil further down.

I removed soy from everyone's diet as two of the four have metabolic issues.

That was when I discovered another horse has a soy intolerance. He no longer needs to see the riding crop in the bath bucket and half the time I don't even halter him to trim his hooves.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    We have switched to a soy free diet for a variety of reasons, most of which is our mare's reaction to it.

It is very difficult to find soy free feeds. We are back to hay, alfalfa pellets and minerals.

IMO, soy is bad, GMO soy is even worse.
    Yes to all of the above. And also to Daydream Believer.

SO easy to feed timothy pellets. No guessing. Also WAY cheaper.

Wish they still made the true COB. Those days are gone.

thanks for the advice! My guy has been very sensitive, lethargic, and recently (when the grass got bad) has had some serious bloating and digestive issues. He also has had some weird "phlemy" sounding breathing as he works. Poor guy. I started him on Tribute Calm Ultra a year-and-a-half ago by vet reccomendation and has been on-and-off "episodes" of sensitivity and poor perfomance (all when other roughages are decreased). Im hoping switching foods helps him, he is such a good boy... even when he doesnt feel good he tries so hard!

hmmm... My young horse has been having slightly gunky eyes recently and the only change is the addition of TCLite to her diet, I'm going to pull her off of it and see what happens.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I don't mean to hijack OP, but does anyone know whether soy oil causes the same issues as the meal and hulls?
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    I don't mean to hijack OP, but does anyone know whether soy oil causes the same issues as the meal and hulls?
    I have a mare that reacts to anything soy...hulls, oil, meal...she gets runny gas, her full brother would get projectile gas. Others we have had get snarky, sensitive, explosively spooky.

Know anybody with peanut allergies? My understanding is just the smell can cause a reaction. Why do we assume allergic horses are any less sensitive to soy?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghorse View Post
    Others we have had get snarky, sensitive, explosively spooky.
    That was my horse in my post above./

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    I've heard and read that the Hull and oil. do NOT contain the phytoestrogens that cause symptoms.

HOWEVER:

I have also read that some people on here suspect that their horse is so sensitive to it that they even get symptoms from the hulls and oil. and i suspect they know their horse(s) better than me! lol

so it depends.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieCH6191 View Post
    thanks for the advice! My guy has been very sensitive, lethargic, and recently (when the grass got bad) has had some serious bloating and digestive issues. He also has had some weird "phlemy" sounding breathing as he works. Poor guy. I started him on Tribute Calm Ultra a year-and-a-half ago by vet reccomendation and has been on-and-off "episodes" of sensitivity and poor perfomance (all when other roughages are decreased). Im hoping switching foods helps him, he is such a good boy... even when he doesnt feel good he tries so hard!
    Do keep us updated please! I'm very interested to see if he improves after removing the soy from his diet.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

So this may seem like a silly question, but is there actually soy in CocaSoya oil?
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by fargonefarm View Post
    So this may seem like a silly question, but is there actually soy in CocaSoya oil?
    there is soybean oil, yes.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

I went soy free after a reaction to just a handful of feed but even before that I had a 2 year old mare that you could milk anytime. Took a year to find out what it was....soy hull in the feed.

This sight: http://www.naturalnews.com/026303_so...in_hexane.html

Most think the hulls should have an affect but I would tend to doubt that they would wash the waste product (hull) from the chemical process.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Do keep us updated please! I'm very interested to see if he improves after removing the soy from his diet.
    I definatley will!!!