The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody met Mary King?

I'm thinking of taking myself and my daughter to the Area 8 meeting, which features Mary King giving several talks. My daughter's 13 and a BN eventer; she's on the fence about going, not sure that it will be geared toward her interests or level. I can't go without taking her, as husband and son have a road trip of their own that weekend (I guess I could leave her with friends--hadn't thought about that). Anyway, what do you think?

To me, the answer is simple - go. I was fortunate enough to be in the media for Burghley and Pau this year and she was an absolute delight. A wealth of knowledge (obviously), engaging, and very genuine. She has a lifetime of knowledge and experience and is coming off of an incredible year. I really think that a 13 year old would enjoy her and come away inspired.

[/Mary king fan-girl-ing]

Go and try to balance it by doing things that would be fun for her. Sounds great. I'd love to hear her!

A couple of years ago I was at an event watching how a fence rode before I went xc in the Prelim. She came over to me and asked me how it was riding! I am a nobody and we both watched a few jump it and had a bit of a chat. She is really lovely.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There is a whole thread on H & H Competition Riders on what a special person and speaker she is.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I got to know Mary when she was here in the states for the 1996 Olympics. I saw her again at Rolex this past year and she took time out of her busy schedule to chat about old times. She is a delight and very friendly, I say go for sure.

Are you both crazy!?!? Wish I was in area 8...

No hesitation....GO. Even if something she says isn't "geared" toward any particular level, everyone can benefit from ANYTHING she has to say. She's friendly, engaging, and she always smiles and greets folks even in the midst of tense competitions.

Only briefly as she was sitting watching some early XC at the WEG. Super nice, very classy and gracious to two Yankee nobodies!

Friend of mine ran into her in the grocery store a few weeks ago He said she's very well respected in the town where they live.

I'd definitely go. Your daughter is 13. She's still at the age where you can tell her what to do
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

That's be a no-brainer for me and my daughter when she was 13. Go. Then report back
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Here is a woman who made it to the top by working her tail feathers off. She is married with 2 kids.

Somehow I think she could say something that your daughter would appreciate. Not to mention Mary King did what no one else has ever done - placed 1st and 2nd at Rolex.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Mary King is the nicest, most inspiring woman out there, do not miss that chance!

Definitely go - and do some research. It may be that Mary's Daughter Emily will be there too. Emily is becoming very successful too and is about the same age as your daughter. I think Emily is 14 or 15 now.

If you daughter is in any way interested in horses/eventing, then I'm sure she'll come away inspired.

One of my favorite covers of PH is the one of Mary King. She looks like she would be an incredible person to meet.

Here's a link to an interview with Mary that I think you'll enjoyhttp://www.burghley.tv/?p=mary-king

People from outside Area VIII are welcome to join us. Here's a link to he flier and registration form http://myemail.constantcontact.com/U...id=qh6zr0wXDEY She'll also be doing a video analysis of rides on Sun. A kind of virtual clinic so to speak.

Hope to see many of you there.

Jackie

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Lovely lady, down to earth and very generous with her time and knowledge. Do go. Here is a link to a recent radio interview http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...91/310332.html

OMG- the video analysis sounds very educational! Definitely go. Can you submit a video of your yourself (your daughter might find that interesting )

I met her when I was at Badminton, and I wish I had been 13. Most of the people waiting to meet her were young girls, and I felt pretty awkward about it, but of course couldnt pass it up. She was very nice, despite being busy, I think she could make anyone feel comfortable.