The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default '05 Grey/Buckskin stallion for free adoption

I have an '05 now grey but was born buckskin/dun registered AQHA stallion by Zippo Illini(14.3 hands) and out of a proven TB mare(17 hands.) He is around 15.1 or 2 hands though I have not measured him in about three years. I have never used him for breeding and he is not and will not be sound for riding due to a pasture injury so please do not ask to adopt him as a riding horse. He gets around fine but he has a lameness in his rear end that prevents him from having a riding career. I would like to adopt him out to someone that will use him for breeding or maybe even a teaser. I would have in the agreement for first right of refusal back to me for free as I do not want him to get lost nor am I looking for someone to adopt then sell him.

He is good natured and currently is pastured by his 33 yr old dad and has a miniature pony that goes between the two pastures.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask great home is what is most important.

Not meaning to be harsh but why in the world would you enable breeding an unrideable horse with hind end issues?

He's a half bred with no performance record. I know you say he's "registered AQHA" but didn't the automatic inclusion as QH via the Appendix registry change decades ago to ensure that those eligible TB/QH crosses had to earn points either in performance or conformation to make the book?

If I am incorrect, I apologize as I am not particularly familiar with the Quarter Horse registry.

I think it is nice that you are trying to place him out but, when I was in a situation with a mare of mine (bred, foaled and raised) that I couldn't keep pasture sound, I made the very tough decision to put her down.
    Last edited by Everythingbutwings; Nov. 22, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Or at least geld him. Sound, well bred stallions are hard to place due to being stallions. This guy is just what the unscrupulous kill buyers who masquerade as wonderful homes are looking for. You are likely his only option.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp