The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Three Dog-I agree with you, and Tradewind and others on here about listening to a BB instead of a vet. However, someone as delusional as the person who had this cat (I refuse to call them a pet owner since that involves responsibility and caring for the animal) might not even have gone to the vet, but just said they did.

And just as with human doctors, I'm sure there are people that only go to vets that say what they want to hear, and only do what they feel like for the animal and ignore professionals. I know people who go to doctors who dispense drugs like candy, just do exams and ignore the results (as someone I know said, "Here I go off to flunk all of my test results at the doc's again), and will never switch doctors because they hear what they want to. In fact the ones I know that go to the pill pushers and the doctors that don't really care usually overpay dramatically for the doctors too, compared to other doctors.

I'm sure there are people that go to the cheapest vet they can find (not that money determines the quality of care), ignore the treatment advice, and think their responsibility ends there. Some people shouldn't have pets at all. It's sad for the animal, but I don't feel sorry for the former owner at all.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    The rads and bloodwork on my girl yesterday came to nearly $150. But let me say again, it was worth it and I don't mind spending the money. Both the vet and the dog are worth it.
    That's what I mean - it's not THAT expensive. I always figure on spending at least $100 when an animal is seen by the vet - horse vet, dog vet, whatever. Maybe I'm the oddball ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    That's what I mean - it's not THAT expensive. I always figure on spending at least $100 when an animal is seen by the vet - horse vet, dog vet, whatever. Maybe I'm the oddball ?
    I don't think you're odd at all. Frankly, if I get out with a sub $200 tab, especially on a "we're not really sure what's wrong" issue, I think I've done well.

OMG of course it's not the same as getting veterinary care. If you're the sort who will accept a diagnosis over the interwebs on you or your own sight unseen by online "experts" then there's more to repair than being careful of the internet.

IMO
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

There's another thread...how much previcox to give an 80lb dog. She/he wants to give her horses previcox (never mind that legally vets can't prescribe it for a horse) to her dog with a sore leg.

I was informed she would take him to the vet if she needed to. Someone told her how much to dose after suggesting she at least put a call into the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I was informed she would take him to the vet if she needed to. Someone told her how much to dose after suggesting she at least put a call into the vet.
    Yeah, that was me. You know what? Dosage information is available to ANYONE. You just have to google "drug name" and "package insert." It's not like it's secret information

Don't you think it's better to at least arm people with the manufacturer's recommended dosage, rather than to just let people wing it?

That situation is a FAR cry from someone repeatedly ignoring a vet's recommendation for further testing....

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I don't think you're odd at all. Frankly, if I get out with a sub $200 tab, especially on a "we're not really sure what's wrong" issue, I think I've done well.
    When I get a vet bill under $100, I cry and kiss the dog...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    Oh please. Improving the diet is always a good idea but not even the most hardcore grain-free or raw believer is going to think it replaces vet care.
    Oh, I can see the hard core ones thinking it replaces vet care. Every time someone asks about allergies - aka, my dog is on week 3 of scratching himself crazy - very few people recommend taking the poor devil to the vet for relief. Most just immediately talk up their favorite diet.

Do people really need to be told to take their animal to the vet (and have tests run/get treatment) if it's been vomiting and losing weight for 3 months or itching like crazy for 3 weeks? If 4 people say vet and 20 more suggest a diet change (without repeating GO TO THE VET!), whose fault is it if the owner doesn't go to the vet? What if there are no responses at all? Will they just continue to sit on their butt and watch the animal suffer because no one gave them a clue?

This is an ignorant, lazy, cheap pet owner issue, not a BB one. At some point, they need to get off the computer and take responsibility for the animal in their care. Me telling someone to go to the vet ASAP, or RUN from the vet and feed a strict diet of marshmallows and Diet Coke for 6 weeks is only as powerful as the person hearing the suggestion wants it to be. You can't make someone skip the vet trip any more than you can make them go.

So what if someone (or multiple people) on the internet suggests a higher quality or limited ingredient food. That doesn't mean the pet owner is obligated to go out and buy and then feed it without vet consultation for the underlying issue.

This is an ignorant, lazy, cheap pet owner issue, not a BB one. At some point, they need to get off the computer and take responsibility for the animal in their care.
    while I agree that they need to accept responsibility for their animal, it is also a BB issue. Before BB, people didn't have access to this kind of non-professional misinformation. I am constantly amazed, on this board as well as others, that people come to a BB to ask about dosages of medications, or using medications for species it was not prescribed for. And they get someone who tells them this stuff, then another will speak up about the dangers of that & a gazillion others chime in with "well I've done that for mega million years and my *dog/cat/hamster* never died!".

it is a BB issue......look how defensive people have gotten about what Squish wrote.

Before BB there were relatives, friends, coworkers to ask for help. Personal stories, old wife tales, potion makers were often seen as the best quick fix. Different but not necessarily better.

Stupid ideas and bad solutions have been around for a long time.

Exactly. Now it's just done on a larger scale and in a public way. I am infinity thankful the internet was available before I had kids or I might have been limited to my ILs parenting advice.

while I agree that they need to accept responsibility for their animal, it is also a BB issue. Before BB, people didn't have access to this kind of non-professional misinformation. I am constantly amazed, on this board as well as others, that people come to a BB to ask about dosages of medications, or using medications for species it was not prescribed for. And they get someone who tells them this stuff, then another will speak up about the dangers of that & a gazillion others chime in with "well I've done that for mega million years and my *dog/cat/hamster* never died!".

it is a BB issue......look how defensive people have gotten about what Squish wrote.
    And that's a bad thing, why? Back in the day you might not have heard from that one person about the dangers because you were only exposed to the gazillion who never had a problem. Have you never given a gram of bute or wrapped a leg without a vet's diagnosis? Never changed a horses feed or added a supplement because someone on the internet recommended it?

Either way, the cat this thread is about did not die because someone on a BB gave bad diet advice. It was plain and simple owner negligence because they were too cheap to get to the root of the problem when something could have been done. Speaking only for myself, I'm not so much defensive as appalled about that part being glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Before BB there were relatives, friends, coworkers to ask for help. Personal stories, old wife tales, potion makers were often seen as the best quick fix. Different but not necessarily better.

Stupid ideas and bad solutions have been around for a long time.
    but it was a much smaller pool to pick from.

Either way, the cat this thread is about did not die because someone on a BB gave bad diet advice. It was plain and simple owner negligence because they were too cheap to get to the root of the problem when something could have been done.
    The cat died because of negligence and because had they not been given advice re: diet, then ignored the professional.

You can defend your position, but I totally understand and agree with what Squish wrote.

but it was a much smaller pool to pick from.
    Still, deciding to follow one bad advice from a friend over the profesionnal one will still end up with a bad result.

If those people didn't like the first vet's advice, I'm sure they could have gone to another vet. Vets are human and can make mistakes but usually, they are more knowledgeable regarding our pets conditions and if they do mess up, you can make a formal complaint and get some sort of compensation.

An bad advice from a BB. You get nothing.

First off - Id like to reiterate that the cat died of CANCER, not neglect. Completely agree owners were ignorant, and followed the wrong source... a BB not for suggestions, but for a diagnosis. While its always great to hear anectodal tales on "fluffy does wonderful on x", you are risking receiving bad advice.

I wouldnt ask my neighbor who is a baker "does this mole look like skin cancer?" even if he once did know a friend of a friend who once had skincancer.

You seek professionals for a reason - because they are educated in the subject. Its never wrong to ask for suggestions, but to ask for a diagnosis is just simply stupid.