The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does TE or R Mean in a Horse Trial?

I am assuming that TE means time elimination???? I did not know that you could be eliminated for "time" during your cross country if this is what TE means.

What does "R" mean?

Thanks for educating me!@

TE is Technical Elimination/R is Retired.

There is a "Maximum Time Allowed" on XC, so yes you can be eliminated for going over the time.

Here's a link to the USEA Rule Book:http://www.useventing.com/resources/...enting_web.pdf

1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Thanks, I am watching live scoring at Texas Rose regarding a friend of mine and I saw this.

I'm glad someone posted a thread on this topic because I was interested in the distinction between the different letters. What's the difference between R and W? I'm seem to recall another letter or two that mean a horse didn't finish the phase for whatever reason but don't recall what the letters were...

R means you have begun the phase but chose to retire or pull up for whatever reason.
    W means that you chose to withdraw before the phase ever began.
    E means elimination for refusals.
    RF means Rider Fall which is an elimination.
    MR means mandatory retirememt due to a horse fall which is also elimination.
    DR means Dangerous riding
    Gwen Dean
    Area II YR Coordinator
    Lost Hounds HT Secretary

And TE means Technical Elimination...means you did something stupid like not jumping a fence on XC (ask me how I know this). A TE is generally not dangerous nor 'bad' but something...technical...that is a breach of the rules. Generally with a TE, rider may continue to complete the event with special permission of the TD (Technical Delegate)
    A TE is also something you will probably NEVER do again!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by gchildean View Post
    E means elimination for refusals.
    This is correct but you can also be eliminated for the following reasons:
    - 4 refusals (refusals less than 4 are just awarded 20 penalty points each)
    -Fall of rider (listed as RF in scoring but still eliminated)
    -Fall of horse (listed as MR in scoring but still eliminated)
    -Exceeding the maximum time

And the following under Rule EV141 cross-country Scoring.

3. ADDITIONAL REASONS FOR ELIMINATION :
    a. Elimination is left to the discretion of the Ground Jury in the following cases:
    (1) Jumping or attempting to jump any obstacle without headgear, or with an unfastened
    retention harness, EV114.1.
    (2) Willful obstruction of an overtaking competitor, or failure to follow the instructions of the officials while being overtaken, EV138.5c
    (3) Causing danger to another competitor while overtaking that competitor, EV138.5c.
    (4) Failure to stop when signaled, EV138.7b.
    (5) Unauthorized assistance, EV138.8a.

b. Elimination must be applied in the following cases:
    (1) Competing with improper saddlery, EV115.3.
    (2) Error of course not rectified, EV138.3.
    (3) Omission of obstacle or compulsory passage, EV138.3.
    (4) Jumping an obstacle or passing through a compulsory passage in the wrong
    order, EV138.3.
    (5) Jumping an obstacle in the wrong direction, except when EV142.5 applies.
    (6) Retaking an obstacle already jumped, except when EV142.5 applies.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    And TE means Technical Elimination...means you did something stupid like not jumping a fence on XC (ask me how I know this).
    Or the BIGGER fence! One of the hardest TE I have marked as a jump judge. You really do need to jump the fence, out of many lined up, for your level. Unless spectators are sitting on all the others except yours...then its much easier.

Could we maybe add those to the FAQ's? I know I've gone hunting for/asked about what they mean, and it seems to get asked regularly. Might save everyone some time/frustration at having to answer the same questions over and over.

My TE- jumping the the first training level fence on course when it was my horses first novice. whoops. rest of the course was lovely.

Most TE's seem to be jumping a wrong fence, missing a fence, not passing through finish flags, leaving protective boots on in dressage, horse leaving dressage arena, starting a SJ course before the whistle or not getting through flags in the 45 second alloted time. Those are just a few of the more frequent TE's but most people find that once they have been TE'd, they never make that same mistake again.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

You may, however, jump a lower level jump if it is in your "line" without penalty. i.e a training rider can jump a flagged novice jump if it is in his line. One may not jump any unflagged jump.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    You may, however, jump a lower level jump if it is in your "line" without penalty. i.e a training rider can jump a flagged novice jump if it is in his line. One may not jump any unflagged jump.
    I asked a TD about this once because it is often accepted as "common wisdom" but is not found in the rules (and I wanted to take a downbank that was not flagged to get a straighter line to a fence I knew might make my horse look twice). He said that you can jump whatever you want to, as long as it is safe (the penalty for jumping a flagged obstacle above your level is for DR - or going off course, if it's that you chose the wrong one in a line and did not jump your own - not JUST because it is not on your course).

He pointed out that an unflagged obstacle is no different than an obstacle flagged at a different level per EV 139:

"In cases where courses for two or more levels of competition are marked at the same time, only those flags which form part of the course for the relevant competition are to be considered to be in effect at any one time."

Basically, if it isn't flagged for your level, the flags don't exist in competition terms, period - which is no different from flags that don't exist at all.

(But, again, you have the DR penalties that can come into play, and I am sure if you jumped, say, a Prelim jump that wasn't in use that particular year while riding BN, you would get a DR same as if you jumped one that was actually flagged Prelim. And you could certainly be penalized for jumping something unflagged that was unsafe for other reasons, too.)
    Proud member of the EDRF

Thanks! The "don't jump any unflagged jump" was from a trainer, not a TD. I just "assumed" it was because an unflagged jump might be unsafe in that it had not been inspected for hazards.

Yep, I would definitely give a good extra look or three at anything I planned to jump that wasn't flagged because there could be very good reasons they aren't using it! In my case, it was a tiny little bank that was there for training/schooling purposes, so it was maintained, just not worth putting on an actual competition course for a recognized event.
    Proud member of the EDRF