The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did I do all I could for this cat? (long)

I don't know why I am posting this...I think I just want reassurance I did the right thing because I feel so bad.

I currently live in one of those large, several building apartment communities. The buildings are in sections, six apartments (3-stories) to a section. Last night when I came home from work I was shocked to discover an orange tabby cat on the steps to the lower floor. We are allowed pets and the cat was in good condition - shiny, good weight, clear eyes - and I assumed it was a pet that got out of someone's apt. Only problem was, it was about 10:30 PM - too late to knock on doors. I called both my mother and a friend, and they both said it was reasonable to put up a sign on the main door saying did someone lose their cat, there was one in the apt. with the cat's description. In addition I put out a food/water bowl, a shoebox with a few scoopfuls of litter, and an old towel for kitty to sleep on. He seemed happy.

I didn't bring him into my apt. because his parts seemed to still be there. I could have put him in my bedroom, but I own two (neutered) male cats and didn't want to have this cat spraying if it was indeed intact.

My plan was if the cat wasn't claimed by tomorrow, I was going to take him to the barn where my horse is kept and make an appt. to get him neutered. BO wouldn't mind his presence if he was healthy and fixed.

Several of my neighbors got in on the act - one put out a bowl of milk, one put out lunchmeat turkey, and the girl that lives across from me told me she checked on him several times throughout the night because she saw him on the blanket when she got home at 11:30.

At 8:30 when I checked on him, he was gone. I searched all the stairs/halls in our section, and that's when I saw the milk and turkey were left out. I assumed his owner claimed him and all was well.

So imagine my surprise when at about 11:30 there is a maintenance man going around to my neighbors that put food out freaking out on them. One of the neighbors had called the leasing office to say there was a cat in our apt., not to be rude but to help it (she's who put out the milk). The maintenance guy was especially nasty to me because I put out not only food but litter and a towel. I mean screaming, swearing - the "f" word was even in there. Totally unprofessional. There are four sections to each building, connected by a hallway system (where our storage and laundry rooms are) and fire doors. Apparently the cat wasn't claimed, someone let the cat into the next section over where it went to the bathroom on the floor 3 times. The guy was LIVID about that. I mean unreasonably, scarily livid. I called building management to report him and am waiting on them to get back to me...being a Saturday, I guess they were not there (but supposedly they are open Saturdays).

Anyway...the guy would not tell me what happened to the cat. I am so worried he hurt it because he seemed like the type that would. I plan to call area shelters on Monday to see if a cat matching this cat's description was surrendered...maybe that is why no one answered the phone at the management office, because they were taking him to a shelter. At best I am hoping it went to a shelter or was put outside. I just feel like I failed this cat. Had I just chanced putting him in my bedroom overnight this wouldn't have happened and he'd be safe in the barn. Heck, I could have put him in the bathroom, there's no carpet in there. I thought I was being reasonable by leaving him in the hall for an owner to claim and so he wouldn't spray in my apt. So now not only do I face potential backlash from this (thankfully I am likely moving when my lease is up in January anyway), but who knows about the poor cat. I am absolutely sick over him...he was so friendly, and I feel like I failed him.
    Last edited by shiningwizard255; Nov. 20, 2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: missing a word
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I don't know what to tell you other than sometimes people really do suck. Maybe ask mgmt to tell you what the maint. man did with the cat, and call all of the shelters. But I can't think of what else you can do.
    You can't really 2nd guess yourself. You need to protect your own cats, and you don't know if the other cat was healthy/vaccinated. You tried to provide comfort for him. You didn't fail him.

I think you did the best you could under the circumstances. The guy is just an ass. I hope the poor cat is ok.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    I think you did the best you could under the circumstances. The guy is just an ass. I hope the poor cat is ok.

I agree, do not second guess yourself. You and your very thoughtful neighbors did what you guys could do.

the maintenance man is an asshat

Don't second guess yourself for a minute. I probably would have done the same thing. You didn't know the health history of the cat and you need to protect your own cats. You made him comfortable and left him where his owner could find him. It is a shame that the maintenance man was such an ass but he was and you couldn't have anticipated that. You have plan to look for him on Monday so there really isn't any more you could do.

I do hope you find out what happened to him - both for him and for your peace of mind.

Good luck and please update us.

I can't believe I am able to give you this update this morning, but I am. Weird turn of events.

So after work yesterday I was in my kitchen scarfing down a piece of pumpkin pie ('tis the season) when I hear pitiful meowing coming from what sounded like behind my fridge. I knew it wasn't either of my cats because they were standing there too hoping it was time for a canned food treat. On the other side of my kitchen wall is a laundry room so I went in there to investigate, and -

No cat. Stood there for a bit, called out, and I heard meowing! And it was the orange cat! He had somehow gotten into the wall between my kitchen and the laundry room and was hanging out behind some pipes. I have no idea how he got back there - I had to get a screwdriver and remove a plastic cover to let him out. But there he was.

He's now closed off in my bedroom. I'll scrub it down and leave it closed off to my two boys for awhile after he leaves. Poor thing inhaled a bowl of food. He's going to crash there until Wednesday when he goes to the vet for a checkup (and hopefully my vet can tell me if he's intact or not), and then if he's all clear he's going to the barn. I never thought I'd see him again or know what happened to him. I knocked on the girl across from me's door after I found him to let her see him - she was excited he was all right, too.

I'll try to get a pic when I get home tonight so you can see apartment kitty. And thanks again for all your nice words.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - as of this morning he hadn't sprayed. I'm hoping he is neutered and won't.

So glad he's safe, and great update. Glad he didn't make his presence known when the jerk of a maintenance man was rampaging around, but cats aren't stupid. They know who they can trust.

Smiling ear to ear here!

Lucky kitty.

Yay for the safe kitty. And, bless you for taking him in.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Glad he's safe and sound (and fed!)

he knew he found a kind heart when he found you. yay for you and i'm sure his thanksgiving will be full of thanks for YOU.
    i'm partial to orange kitties. my mom says when i was 3 i needed to have my tonsils out and to placate me, my parents asked what i wanted when i got home from the hospital. they were thinking, ice cream, candy or a doll. nope, i wanted an orange cat. got one too. a big tom from the shelter. of course this was MANY moons ago and neutering was not the norm. i guess he hung around for a few years and i was the only one who could pat and play with him.
    one of these days, i'll get another orange kitty. just don't tell my calico witch or she'll live forever.

That's great to hear!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Great update!

Erm...but I have to say if this is a male cat who still has what appear to be testicles, he has not been neutered.
    When they operate on a male cat all that's left is the emptied sac and that is miniscule - to all appearances "he" will have nothing to show you.
    If you are seeing "parts" he is whole.

If that is the case, he is a gentleman for not marking your place.
    BTW: even neutered males still have the ability to spray.
    Just not the incentive
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Nice update!! Glad Mr. Kitty found you!! And I am glad you can take him to your barn where he will be safe.

Well I have an even better update - he's not going to be a barncat, I was able to find him a home! One of my co-workers took him on Thanksgiving Eve. His new name is Buddy. He's such a good boy - the way his eyes are shaped makes him look like he is glaring at you but he is so darn friendly; he never quits purring! Buddy really won the owner lotto - co-worker has another kitty that's been lifelong (got as a kitten, a senior now) and his family is quite affluent. Buddy's come a long way in a week's time! He's in quarantine right now until he goes to the vet next week...co-worker is thankfully taking on the cost so the less affluent (me lol) doesn't have to and taking Buddy to his own vet the next town over. And he hasn't sprayed.
    Last edited by shiningwizard255; Nov. 25, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Great news! I'm glad he had the good sense to come back to you, by tunneling through the walls

So the little prince will be ok, you did good.

The happy ending to your story gives me a big lump in my throat. I think Buddy finding a wonderful home on Thanksgiving eve (after being rescued by you), is absolutely the best thing I have heard this week. You definitely did very, very good.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

So glad it all worked out!!! I was worried about the crazy MM!!

Oh, I have a couple of males who are neutered but they seem to have had thicker scrotums then other cats and you'd have to look twice to know they are neutered!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.