The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ioz would like a few jingles please

Ioz the cat came home tonight limping very badly on his left hind leg. No marks that I could see, so I'm kind of assuming he tangled with a car and lost.

He has a broken pelvis, and a bruised up shoulder. Currently, he is sleeping happily on the bed. We turned on the electric blanket for him, and he thought that was pretty nice. It might help that he's had himself some tramadol and is obviously a bit loopy.

We will be following the conservative method of healing, which basically is pain control and keep him in the house. Surgery-which is possible with his break-is upwards of $1500, and we just don't have that kind of money. The vet said he'd probably heal up fine anyway.

We might all be crazy by the end of the week while we try to keep him inside....

When it rains, it pours. Hugs to you. Jingles for Ioz. Time for this month to end.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for Ioz from Florida. I've known cats that healed up pretty well from similar injuries with the non-surgical treatment of confined rest.

And I had one that broke his leg in 5 places, we paid a bundle for surgery, and after 3 weeks it was not healing at all, and we ended up putting him to sleep then.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Many jingles for you and Ioz...hope he makes a happy and speedy recovery.

My dog was HBC before I adopted him,his pelvis was broken too. He healed great, just with conservative management. Unless its completely shattered, usually with time they do heal quite well.

I would keep an eye to make sure he is pooping well though. Often is the fracture involves the ischium it can put a lot of pressure on the colon causing constipation for kitty. If he poops, he'll be just fine

He hasn't pooped yet, but he didn't eat for a day either. I am keeping an eye on the litter box though!

He's still sleeping on the electric blanket. Who knew that an electric blanket was a broken cat's best friend?

Make sure that he drinks. Constant heat can dehydrate them. Also if he's loopy he may not get up and move so monitor that he's not too hot. If he won't drink make sure he's getting wet food.

And you might want to confine him to a large dog crate as opposed to just confining him to the house. Rest means REST not wandering about the house jumping on furniture. I've had dogs with this kind of injury and yes they usually heal just fine, but they need to be kept as immobile as possible.

Jingling for Ioz!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Default jingling from flyover country

the dowager and I send our best.
    Another killer of threads

Just a quick update on Ioz.

He is pooping! Yay! Who knew I'd be excited about cleaning a litter box. He has also become somewhat spoiled. As he lacks opposable thumbs and can't ring a bell for maid service, he has to resort to yowling for maid service. At any point in time I might get summoned to:
    feed the cat
    clean the box
    feed the cat
    move the water closer to the cat
    unbunch his blanket
    feed the cat
    pet him
    admire him
    feed the cat

You get it...

I do not have him crated at this time, as keeping him locked in a crate was detrimental to the sleep of all other creatures in our house, humans included. So, last night, he limped into the bedroom, climbed on the laundry pile, climbed on the chair, and then onto the bed. He then proceeded to park himself on my chest and go to sleep. Every time I tried to shift, he growled at me. Needless to say, I didn't get a ton of sleep last night.

Tonight, I'm holding off on his pain pill until just before bed. Maybe he'll sleep in the night and not for hours after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    At any point in time I might get summoned to:
    feed the cat
    clean the box
    feed the cat
    move the water closer to the cat
    unbunch his blanket
    feed the cat
    pet him
    admire him
    feed the cat

You get it...

I get some of those yowls with a *healthy* cat! LOL

Poor Ioz!! Cats really do tend to heal pretty quickly, so here's to a VERY fast-healing Ioz-kitteh!!