The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face Odd Prospective Buyer Requests

I'd be interested in some stories from other COTH members about odd prospective buyer requests. I have sold 10 horses so far this year and most requests are in the range of "normal". Buyer wants to see the horse demoed at the WTC and jumping. Buyer wants to see the horse load. Buyer wants to know health history. Buyer wants a trial, etc.

My oddest request this year involved dogs. I had a very lovely lady who was looking for a horse that could be trail ridden with her dogs. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't own dogs or allow any loose dogs on my farm. I like dogs, but consider them a safety issue. I am very upfront BEFORE the prospective buyer comes out that I make no claims about compatibility with dogs as I don't have dogs on my farm.

So said prospective buyer is test riding. She asks if I can get some loose dogs to run around the ring while she is riding the horse to see how he is with loose dogs. I'm not sure where she thinks I will get said dogs. I just say no.

Turns out that the horse didn't suit her needs anyway, but I am still shaking my head over the dog issue. It is just something I don't think I need to cover as a seller.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

So far in the last three weeks, I have had people ask me mind numbing stuff;

Can i shoot off his back? Well I have never done that before so no not when you are just trying him out. Can I fire a gun in your indoor arena.. ummm I suppose - waaay back in the corner please - horse did great but they passed on him.

Can I take him on a weekend trail ride so i can be sure he is as good at the end of a long weekend as he is right now? We also want to try hobbling him and staking him out. Ummm no that is a lot of work that could potentially tax him or harm him. They passed.

Can you please tell me how you can justify this price when we can adopt from a rescue for $250 - Ummm apples to oranges? They RUDELY passed.

Yesterday I had to drag a horse over to a vet for a PPE. Had truck trouble - l-o-n-g day - finally opted for a local small town vet. Who spend 65 mins going over the horse and charged - are you ready for this - $67.50 Which apparently made bells and sirens ring in the buyers head that the cost was so low it must be nefarious. They cancelled the transporter and demanded the vet keep a blood sample on hand for 60 days for bute. Today they wanted me to fax them every piece of paperwork ever accumulated by this horse - there is not much because he has never been sick or lame - so more sirens sound. UGH! The vet & Hubby say "If you sell this person this horse you need your head examined!" Sale pending.

I have one horse and 2 Shetland ponies to sell then I am D-O-N-E i sell dozens of horses for people every year on consignment. This economy has brought ALL the flaming weirdos out!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Can you please tell me how you can justify this price when we can adopt from a rescue for $250 - Ummm apples to oranges? They RUDELY passed.

LOL, I had a self professed BNT call me about a 1/2 TB I advertised at $3500. Without seeing the horse she informed me that i was asking WAAAAYYYY to much, why should she pay THAT MUCH for my 1/2 TB when she could go to Charlestown racecourse and pick up a full TB for $500.

I got my price, but not from her
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Can you please tell me how you can justify this price when we can adopt from a rescue for $250

??? That comment just amazes me!

Ironwood, the next time you need a dog, call me. I'll be right there with one that will down and watch because he is not allowed to run with/and or chase horses. Who wants their dogs to run around like crazy when they are riding.

Earlier this week my dogs were barking, sitting on the front step as it was raining and God forbid the big, bad things get wet. Anyway, I looked out to see a guy ponying a young race horse (there is a breeder several farms away) while his jack russell came right up to three German Shepherds. All the way up the driveway. When I went out, he yelled at me cause my dogs were barking at his dog, in my yard. People are stupid with their dogs and horses.

My best buyer story was someone recently who wanted me to haul a weanling hours and hours for her to "take a look" at him. I declined. I explained that I would be happy to take photos, video, etc to see if she was interested but I would not load him up and haul him all day for her without knowing if she had any interest. She said too many breeders fake those pics and videos, so she would have to see him in person. I said alright, come on down. She must have got lost, have not seen her yet. Tire kickers are annoying.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I take in TB's and give them away. I post a picture with description/ability. People want a picture at this angle, that angle, a video. UMMMM NOOOOOOOOOOOOO If you want to come look come look. I'm not wasting my time with pictures and videos on a give away. I really wish we could go back to the good old days where people had to call you on the phone and make an appt. to see the horse. I'd rather just put them out in the pasture than jump through the hoops these people want me to. Not worth it.

I had someone haggling on a price tell me that the slaughterhouse would only give me $400 for a mare. I would love to say I hit her back with something witty, but it was so rude and out of context I just stood there.

In hindsight, "Wait, you're going to eat her?!" would have been pretty awesome.

(Sold the mare to another buyer for the asking price and she turned out to be a useful 'B' hunter, good thing no one ate her!)

I did a PPE with full radiographs for

<wait for it>

a pasture companion.

Yes, that's right, someone was giving away a 12 year old with disclosed issues that prevented him from being ridden regularly beyond w/t and light trail riding. Person wanted a companion for their older retired show horse. So I did a 4 figure PPE (Radiographed feet, ankles, knees, hocks, stifles, full drug screen, you name it. My associate even scoped him. It was like we were vetting the horse for the Barret's 2 year old in training sale!)

ETA: At buyer's request mind you, I offered several times that this was probably unnecessary and that the horse was entirely suited to a life of leisure being an occasional husband horse and well suited to eating pasture every day, but buyer insisted. So I do what they asked, they paid, they were happy-and they did take the horse and his CDs of radiographs.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I just got an "urgent" request fo a video of a horse I advertised as unbroken jumping, a course with a rider on! HUH?? I wrote back politely and asked her to reread the ad. She wrote back saying thank you..."How soon will you have the video??" My student has to sell her horse first"! Lots of luck on that these days. Reading comprehension must not be taught in school any more!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I'm sitting there quietly enjoying a peaceful man free evening when the phone rings, so I go and answer it

"Hello"

"Hello, I understand that you have some horses for sale"

"Yes we do indeed, there are several for sale, what are you looking for?"

"They are Haflingers aren't they?"

"Yes they are indeed"

"They are those little ones aren't they?"

"Well not to little, mine are all around the 14.2hh mark"

"No that's just to damn small, it's not Haflingers I want, it's a bigger breed 15.2 HH or bigger, do you know of any?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm looking for a team of mares, big mares, do you know anyone who is selling a big team?"

"Nope sorry, I can't help you there"

"Well can you give me Alberts number?"

"What?"

"I have this number for Albert, *reads out number* but I can't get it to work, can you give me the right number?"

"No sorry, I don't know any Albert, and I only have Haflingers"

Quietly puts phone down and slowly backs away from it.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I just cannot fathom why anyone would want to be in the business of selling horses-or any animal for that matter. I have a hard enough time finding someone who wants to train them.

Somermist, I will definitely contact you next time I need a pack of loose dogs careening around my ring for a prospective buyer. Hopefully that won't be too soon. Most of my buyers are pretty "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I'm sitting there quietly enjoying a peaceful man free evening when the phone rings, so I go and answer it

"Hello"

"Hello, I understand that you have some horses for sale"

"Yes we do indeed, there are several for sale, what are you looking for?"

"They are Haflingers aren't they?"

"Yes they are indeed"

"They are those little ones aren't they?"

"Well not to little, mine are all around the 14.2hh mark"

"No that's just to damn small, it's not Haflingers I want, it's a bigger breed 15.2 HH or bigger, do you know of any?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm looking for a team of mares, big mares, do you know anyone who is selling a big team?"

"Nope sorry, I can't help you there"

"Well can you give me Alberts number?"

"What?"

"I have this number for Albert, *reads out number* but I can't get it to work, can you give me the right number?"

"No sorry, I don't know any Albert, and I only have Haflingers"

Quietly puts phone down and slowly backs away from it.
    Haha. Oh, wow.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

seems like you guys got 2 options:
    laughing hysterically or heavy drinking...I for my part have deducted that drinking does not agree with me in excess...so I laugh....A LOT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    I

So said prospective buyer is test riding. She asks if I can get some loose dogs to run around the ring while she is riding the horse to see how he is with loose dogs. I'm not sure where she thinks I will get said dogs. I just say no.

Turns out that the horse didn't suit her needs anyway, but I am still shaking my head over the dog issue. It is just something I don't think I need to cover as a seller.
    It's a great mental image - IF going out with a pack of weiners trolling for loose dogs.

But the request is only weird to me because the buyer had been told in advance IF is a dog-free zone. A horse who isn't trustworthy around loose dogs won't sell here. Because you can't ride ten feet out of a ring without encountering free-range canines.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    It's a great mental image - IF going out with a pack of weiners trolling for loose dogs.

But the request is only weird to me because the buyer had been told in advance IF is a dog-free zone. A horse who isn't trustworthy around loose dogs won't sell here. Because you can't ride ten feet out of a ring without encountering free-range canines.
    Well yeah but if the horse was quiet & sensible otherwise - potential buyer had trail ridden him, etc, then surely you would think that horse could slowly be adjusted to being ridden with dogs?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I don't think the buyer was being unreasonable until she asked me to procure a pack of loose dogs. I sell Norwegian Fjords, not exactly the most high strung of breeds. I told her that while I thought the horses would have no issue with dogs, I was uncomfortable representing that they would since I have no direct experience riding them with dogs. I like to be honest about what I know a given horse can and cannot do. Most horses do seem to get along with dogs, but that is not something you are going to figure out on my farm.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I take in TB's and give them away. I post a picture with description/ability. People want a picture at this angle, that angle, a video. UMMMM NOOOOOOOOOOOOO If you want to come look come look. I'm not wasting my time with pictures and videos on a give away.

They all sound crazy except this one. I would definitely want a comfo shot + front and back legs before I drove a couple of hours each way, even if the horse was "free."
    As they say, it cost just as much to feed a crooked leg animal...
    A video is always nice also.

I do these for the Rescue I volunteer at, even though the horses are advertised for cheap.

Also being on the buyer side of horse shopping right now, I am starting to really lose my trust in sellers' *honest* descriptions, no matter if the horse is $500 or $5000

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    They all sound crazy except this one. I would definitely want a comfo shot + front and back legs before I drove a couple of hours each way, even if the horse was "free."
    As they say, it cost just as much to feed a crooked leg animal...
    A video is always nice also.

I do these for the Rescue I volunteer at, even though the horses are advertised for cheap.

Also being on the buyer side of horse shopping right now, I am starting to really lose my trust in sellers' *honest* descriptions, no matter if the horse is $500 or $5000
    As a buyer, I have come across some very strange sellers, one took offense because I was insisting she measure a horse.
    I told her I am 4'11", just had four surgeries in three years and the last one shoulder surgery, so I NEEDED a short horse.
    She, all of 5'9", told me there is no difference between 14.3 and 15.1 hands and then went crazy with accusations of how demanding I was.

I think many trainers any more try to buy and sell thru facebook to other trainers, bypassing that mad scene that involves so much craziness.
    I think that is why that one seller was so short with my demand for an accurate measurement, having had the horse for sale for long time and I assume her share of crazy buyers.
    She really seemed like a nice person, just a bit strung out at times.
    I feel sorry for anyone selling horses today to the general public.

On the other hand, I expect when you do find someone that is agreeable and sensible and you feel your horse is going to a good place, that makes your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    seems like you guys got 2 options:
    laughing hysterically or heavy drinking...I for my part have deducted that drinking does not agree with me in excess...so I laugh....A LOT!
    I think that the drinking part has already been covered, obviously...