The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where are all the used Wintec Pro Jumps and Matt Ryan cross county saddles?!

Hunting season started in Wisconsin today. With no indoor we are all banished from our horses for the next week. Ugh. So what better way to spend the week then shopping for new stuff to use when I can ride again! :-D

I sold my Wintec Pro Jump that I adored 2 years ago when I retired my horse and took a break. They were selling used for $350-$400. I've decided my little 3.5 year old munchkin earned her jump saddle this week with her "unplanned take me over a log to show me how much she wants to event" shenanigan. I've spent all week scouring the Internet for a black Wintec Pro Jump and can find NONE used. I've only got $400 to spend and thought for sure there would be tons. NONE! What happened?! Did I miss something here?! They used to be a dime a dozen! I know people love them so maybe no one is parting with them? I really wanted the Matt Ryan cross country saddle but those are always impossible to find! So if anyone stumbles across a Wintec Matt Ryan or a Wintec Pro Jump in your local Craigslist or classifieds please let me know! I'm quite frustrated over here! Thank you!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

You can search certain sites on Google by going to Advanced Search, then putting in the site (e.g. craigslist.org)

I did a quick search and found this right away:
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/2699222736.html

Good luck!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I would love a matt ryan eventing wintec. Have wanted one forever even though I have a prestige eventer, which makes no sense.

There is this one, in brown. Not sure if its the one you want though:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wintec-Pro-A...#ht_500wt_1204
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Have you also checked out Tekna? They are super nice for around the same price.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    I've spent all week scouring the Internet for a black Wintec Pro Jump and can find NONE used. I've only got $400 to spend and thought for sure there would be tons. NONE! What happened?! Did I miss something here?! They used to be a dime a dozen! I know people love them so maybe no one is parting with them?
    Wintec redesigned the Wintec Pro Jump so that it's no longer the forward-flapped-basically-a-Bates-Caprilli-but-conveniently-waterproof-and-more-grippy wundersaddle of yesteryear. So suddenly, eventers who used to use the Wintec Pro Jump as a "get my baby OTTB through the first few years and then dump it for a more expensive leather saddle" thing are now hanging onto them for dear life, figuring it's better to have it in the closet for the next greenie than to dump it for a mere $300-$400. Combine this with some of the saddles dying a natural death of old age, and the shoppers like you who are snapping them up, and the fact that you insist on a black one, and you've got a perfect storm.

I really wanted the Matt Ryan cross country saddle but those are always impossible to find!
    Amen girlfriend. They've been discontinued for years. If they had any good sense, they'd bring it back as a special edition or special order saddle. I would buy one on principle whether I needed it or not!

Normally I would ditto the "look into Tekna" suggestion too, but the flap isn't forward enough to compete head-to-head with the Wintec Pro Jump.

Thanks guys!! That explains it!! I didn't realize they changed the model! Once i find one I'm never parting with it again!! I have a long femur and need the forward flap. That's why I loved my Pro Jump! It's my favorite baby saddle. Forward flap, flatter seat, wide channel, gusseted panels and sticky like glue! Perfection! I've never sat in the Matt Ryan but it looks just what I'm looking for. The Pro Jump works fine but the Matt Ryan looks sweet! At least I know now why I can't find them! And I'm partial to the black because all my tack and colors are black and I have to admit I'm a matching snob and don't want to have to redo my colors, buy another bridle and match the brown! LOL. I found a couple in Australia I emailed on but I'd love your extra eyes if anyone sees one of either model pop up! Thanks!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I bought one of the Matt Ryan's for the hubby and even though it doesn't fit his horse we hold on to it because it was cheap and fits the long legged people super well. He may need it in the future. I really LOVE the wintec pro jump for starting babies. It's forward enough to hike up your stirrups and you don't worry about it getting dinged up.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Wintec redesigned the Wintec Pro Jump so that it's no longer the forward-flapped-basically-a-Bates-Caprilli-but-conveniently-waterproof-and-more-grippy wundersaddle of yesteryear.
    Noooooooooooo!

I was hoping to pick up another one as mine is on loan several thousand miles away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Noooooooooooo!

I was hoping to pick up another one as mine is on loan several thousand miles away from me.

Behold, the remake:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/wintec...dle-9262p.aspx

I got to see it in person a few weeks ago at Quarter Horse Congress, and EW I do not like it. It's a totally different beast--a much straighter flap, and it's built to fit a much flatter-toplined horse. In short, Wintec followed the market to the promised land of ladies who trail ride on burly draft crosses/Morgans/Quarter Horses/ponies and want to do a little light jumping on the side.

I assume Wintec is trying to push the eventing market toward the Collegiate Convertible Diploma, which is leather and wool flocked but otherwise structurally identical to the Bates Caprilli CC with a forward flap. It shares that last feature with the old-style Wintec Pro Jump. It lacks the waterproof-ness and the equisuede seat , but that allows their Collegiate saddle to double as an ideal offering for the entry-level hunter/jumper market. I actually rather like the Collegiate Convertible Diploma, but it's a different thing from a $400 CAIR-panelled synthetic equisuede saddle.

This the only old-style Wintec Pro Jump I've seen on the market lately, and the ad is pretty old:
    http://www.equinenow.com/english_saddle-ad-5764
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 19, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Smile

I know where one is - feel free to PM me and I'll give you the scoop!

I love my old Wintec pro jump!

I have several students riding in the Pro Jump, great economy jumping saddle. Almost impossible to find used. Haven't tried the revamped version....

Jennifer

Eeeeeeew is right to the new one! It lost all my favorite qualities! I recommend the Pro Jump to everyone with a changing daily greenir and now I'd better specify the OLD Pro Jump! What year did it change? No wonder i can't find one like I used to! Why did I sell mine?! WHY?!?!? I'm sooo finding an old version and never EVER letting it go EVER again!

What are the differences? I see some, but nothing drastic. Still looks Bates Caprilli-ish to me.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

The main things I'm seeing is the forward flap as well as the flat seat...my two personal favorite features that set it apart from 90% of saddles out there...are missing! Regular flap and deeper seat take away from the things that made it unique and very coveted! I actually preferred the Pro Junp over my two $4000+ custom saddles...and so did my horses! They LOVED that saddle and I felt unstoppable in it! Buck? Bring it on! Dirty stop? I'm not going anywhere! Bolt and spin? Someone hand me a cup of tea and a magazine to entertain me while my horse runs wild. Nothing to worry about up here! :-D Msn I miss that saddle!!

Keg-A-Bacchus, you have a PM from me.

I have a Pro Jump that I bought new last spring and I ADORE my saddle. I didn't think I would and almost didn't give the Wintec a chance but it really is one of the best saddles I've ever had and it fits me and my horse like it was custom made for us and it's sticky. That said, I agree that it must have changed because I have a rather round Appendix mare and I am a short 5'3. My husband fits my mare just fine as she has a big barrel (he's 6'3 and skinny with a freakishly long thigh, and she's 15.3) but it is much too short for him (17.5). He would need an 18.5 for it to fit his thigh. So when it's time to get him a saddle I'll look for the old style Pro Jump!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    The main things I'm seeing is the forward flap as well as the flat seat...my two personal favorite features that set it apart from 90% of saddles out there...are missing! Regular flap and deeper seat take away from the things that made it unique and very coveted! I actually preferred the Pro Junp over my two $4000+ custom saddles...and so did my horses! They LOVED that saddle and I felt unstoppable in it! Buck? Bring it on! Dirty stop? I'm not going anywhere! Bolt and spin? Someone hand me a cup of tea and a magazine to entertain me while my horse runs wild. Nothing to worry about up here! :-D Msn I miss that saddle!!

I here ya! My daughter sadly outgrew hers, but it was hard to pry her out of that saddle. She could sit anything in that saddle, in fact some of the kids jokingly referred to it as the magic saddle. She stuck in it like she had glue on her bottom.

To the OP, we sold it to a younger kid at our barn who will probably pass it down as he gets older. I would guess that many of these old Pro Jumps are being passed down as well.

Ah, too bad! I just sold mine last year (a 2003). It was awesome, just not right for my horse. Oh, and it was a brown 16.5, so probably wouldn't have worked.

I wish I knew they were so coveted, I probably would have priced it higher! It went ignored for several rounds on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Ah, too bad! I just sold mine last year (a 2003). It was awesome, just not right for my horse. Oh, and it was a brown 16.5, so probably wouldn't have worked.

I wish I knew they were so coveted, I probably would have priced it higher! It went ignored for several rounds on eBay.
    FWIW, the model switchover happened well after that. I can't pinpoint an exact date because I'm not "in the industry" and just noticed it as tack stores started rolling over their inventory, but it's been at least a few months--maybe sometime this spring?

Hope you're still loving that Amerigo you replaced it with.