The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default arthritic lab

I have a 10 yr old arthritic yellow lab. I just started giving him adequan once a week, he is on a joint supplement,metacam once a day and still he is limping. Was seen by the vet and she thinks he is just not bending the elbow. Any suggestions as to what has worked for your arthritic dogs???. He is such a happy goof ball that I want to make him comfortable.

Did your vet do rad's? How long has he been on Metacam? Poor labberdawg...they are just the best.

Our elderly ACD has nasty arthritis in one elbow, the x-rays look horrible, there's not much recognizable joint left. The long bones are still intact, thankfully. She's on Adequan and buffered aspirin (Metacam didn't make much difference). She walks and runs with that elbow stiff and there's not much to do about it, vet said, even if surgery were appropriate at her age (it's not), there is no such thing as dog elbow replacement. She's soldiering on.

We did get her some nice memory foam (cut up a queen sized human mattress topper) to make beds out of (one in every room she spends a lot of time in), she always chooses to lie on those and we never, ever, ask her to "down" any more, lying on that elbow is painful. Very regular, short, walks at whatever pace she chooses, to keep her from getting too stiff. We have a young dog too, so we got the ACD a dog stroller. You can push it or attach it to a bicycle, so when we want to go for a longer/faster excursion, we bring it and put the ACD in it when she gets tired or starts limping more. She finds it pretty undignified and doesn't want to get in, but, once she's in there, she looks pretty happy and relieved to get off her feet.

Another vote for a loading dose of Adequan (one injection every 4 days for a month).
    Also add a fish oil supplement (people dose), and a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement (people dose).

This is the dog cart we got, it's pretty nice for the price, can hold a big dog, and easy to assemble and hook/unhook form a bicycle. It's hard to store, because it doesn't collapse easily, though. Works for our active family who wants to bring the old, arthritic, dog along, she hates to be left out. People always laugh when the peek in my stroller to see my "baby", which the dog does not appreciate. I considered putting a bonnet on her for Halloween, but she really wouldn't have enjoyed that .

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Bike-Trai...720325&sr=8-20

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Our elderly ACD has nasty arthritis in one elbow, the x-rays look horrible, there's not much recognizable joint left. The long bones are still intact, thankfully. She's on Adequan and buffered aspirin (Metacam didn't make much difference). She walks and runs with that elbow stiff and there's not much to do about it, vet said, even if surgery were appropriate at her age (it's not), there is no such thing as dog elbow replacement. She's soldiering on.

We did get her some nice memory foam (cut up a queen sized human mattress topper) to make beds out of (one in every room she spends a lot of time in), she always chooses to lie on those and we never, ever, ask her to "down" any more, lying on that elbow is painful. Very regular, short, walks at whatever pace she chooses, to keep her from getting too stiff. We have a young dog too, so we got the ACD a dog stroller. You can push it or attach it to a bicycle, so when we want to go for a longer/faster excursion, we bring it and put the ACD in it when she gets tired or starts limping more. She finds it pretty undignified and doesn't want to get in, but, once she's in there, she looks pretty happy and relieved to get off her feet.
    Poor baby Thought I'd add that if the Metacam didnt work, you might try a different NSAID. I had one dog w/same diagnosis who didnt respond to Rimadyl, but did great on Metacam. Also, my current old Labbie did well on Metacam for over a year, but started limping badly again. After rad's ruled out bone cancer and showed bad osteoarthritis of the elbow, we switched her off Metacam and onto Rimadyl, with spectacular results....so far (2 wks). She will get liver values tested in 2 wks. Molly just wasn't getting the same relief from the Metacam, but the new NSAID is doing the trick. And all of my dogs, young and old, are on gluc. and fish oil.

Is it bilateral, or one elbow? We have seen a lot of happy dogs come out from the CUE procedure. This article is not to date, as we have performed significantly more. It is a fairly inexpensive procedure (compared to a years worth of medication and the TATE procedure). Because its new, a lot of vets that are part of the trail are offering it at very reasonable costs. I believe our last one cost the client $600.

The next video is of a TATE total elbow replacement. This isnt in trial anymore, as this is a more common orthopedic procedure. Its not cheap, but is tried and true.

CUE:

Canine Unicompartmental Elbow (CUE) Arthroplasty System
    The CUE Arthroplasty System is designed to provide a surgical treatment option for
    medial compartment disease (MCD) of the canine elbow. This common cause of
    lameness has no treatment options that consistently result in full function outcomes
    with low morbidity and complication rates.
    To date, 26 dogs have been enrolled in a limited clinical trial at 6 centers. Dogs were
    included based on a diagnosis of MCD of one or both elbows that had failed previous
    treatment(s). Preoperative assessments included orthopaedic examination, range of motion measurements,
    lameness evaluation, and radiographic assessment of the affected limbs. The CUE surgeries were performed
    using a standard operating protocol. Dogs were
    assessed at defined time points postoperatively
    using the same outcome measures as done
    before surgery.
    Intraoperative complications occurred in 1 case
    (3.8%): cranial misplacement of the humeral
    implant that was corrected immediately. Short
    to mid-term complications occurred in 5 cases (19.2%): Major = 1 case of ongoing severe lameness at 11
    weeks postop; Minor = 4 cases of mild carpal hyperextension and/or lameness which resolved by 6 months
    postop. No catastrophic complications have occurred to date. No implant problems have been noted on
    radiographic evaluations through 1 year after surgery.
    Of the 26 total cases, 15 have been assessed > 6 months
    after surgery. Four of these cases have undergone forcemat
    evaluation of limb function in addition to lameness grading.
    All 15 dogs (100%) have improved from their preop level of
    function and the degree of improvement was statistically
    (p<0.01) and clinically significant. Five second-look
    arthroscopies done 3 to 7 mos postop all showed stable implants with new
    fibrocartilage ingrowth adjacent to both implants and no evidence of inappropriate
    wear. Lateral compartment cartilage surfaces were unchanged compared to preop
    assessments with no evidence for abnormal wear or visible lesions.
    Based on the initial results of the CUE Multicenter Clinical Trial, this procedure
    appears to be safe for treatment of medial compartment disease in the canine elbow
    and warrants continued clinical evaluation.

TATE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_K8JeSX2E

(similar procedure at MSU):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmD8e1H7p9o

There is always an option for a surgical arthrodesis too. Not ideal,but if hesin that much pain that NSAIDS dont work it may be another option.
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Nov. 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Tommyknockers is offline Temporarily Banned
    Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. His is his right elbow. Has arth in both but the right is worse. He never cries and he still runs but it's a funny, stilty gate. I have not tried the rimadyl. he gets fish oil and a joint supp. I think I'm going to back off the metacam and then take him back to vet for a re-eval. I have hard wood floors with dog beds all over but love the idea of cutting up ortho mattress pads to make beds! Going to continue the adequan and see what I have after a month. He weighs 80 lbs so I have been giving him 2cc per vet.

Just remember, he needs 48 hrs. between cessation of one NSAID and the start of another. I think its worth trying another type of NSAID.

My dog's doing pretty well on deramax (another NSAID) and dasuquin (glucosamine joint supplement) with a fish oil supplement as well. She gets tramadol (opiate painkiller) when she seems very uncomfortable, which is thankfully not very often. Her vet upped her deramax dosage last year, when she seemed to be less comfortable, so maybe an increase in adequan?

Also, though I'm sure this will touch off dog food arguments there are specialty foods for arthritis. I haven't tried them, as my dog is on another prescription food (bland diet) but thought I'd mention it.

Default 13.5 year old yellow lab says Hi!

She is on people dose of move free and omega-3.

Rimadyl changed her life.

I tear up thinking that as a young dog she could jump into the bed of my pickup by jumping onto the top of the tailgate.

last year she could hardly get onto the floor of the car.

since Rimadyl she can jump up into the back seat - no sweat!

I saw a change in about 12 hours after her first dose.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Original Poster

Thank you! Going to talk to vet about the rimadyl. He just got his 2nd dose of adequan today and I have to say he did look better. Going to continue with that for a month and see where we are at then. I hate to use nsaids but it has gotten to the pt that I have to He is such a happy, goofball even when he is in pain. He got into some caustic stuff when he was a young dog and it burned his hind leg. They had to do very painful cleaning to the wound and he just sat there wagging his tail. They had a hard time keeping him upright cause he likes to flop like a fish when you are petting him.

I know lots of people on this board are against prescription diets but IMO it is worth trying. Hills has J/D and then there is Medical Mobility (not sure if you can get that in the states). the hills has a VERY high level of Omega 3 FA in in that helps to stop degradation of the cartilage in the joint. Its not going to fix the damage that has been done but its going to prevent furhter damage. PLUS its NOT a medication so your pets liver and kidneys will not have to work as hard as when they are on the meds. Yes the food is expensive, but so are prescriptions of Metacam and Rimadyl or any other NSAID (deramaxx and previcox also avail)

New modalities of therapies include laser therapy which can offer some benefits too, but to be honest I would start with the food. Give it 6-8 weeks to see if you notice improvement.

The other choice for medication to be used in conjunction with an NSAID is cartrophen. It runs along the same line as adequan but I've seen better results with it in dogs.

Make sure that if your pets lameness is getting worse to see your veterinarian. Bone cancer can show up at any time.

Original Poster

Thanks Cdn. I'm making him an appt Mon. for new rads. The last ones were taken a whle ago.

Oh, and just for the sake of throwing it out there: some people also reccomend acupuncture, massage and swimming to help with arthritis. I haven't tried any of these, but I've heard good things from a vet about acupuncture.

Original Poster

He goes swimming. The accupuncture is too pricey for me to do as often as needed and I'm not a true believer as it did not work on me in any way shape or form. Chiro I do believe in and will look into that. Thank you!

Default dosage?

I have a young Lab that just had surgery done for elbow dysplasia. He'll go on Polyglycan and is already on Dasuquin. I was told that Omega 3 and Fish Oil may be beneficial and I'd like to try them. Someone said Kirkland (Costco) makes a good quality one but I don't know the dosage for a dog. My guy weighs 78 pounds. I also read that I may need to add in Vitamin E if I add the Omega 3/ Fish Oil...anyone here do that?
    thanks in advance,
    Stacy