The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin-off: Do you use a clean saddle pad for every ride?

I do, and the nylon fuzzy girth as well, even in the winter. And I don't share saddle pads between my two ponies, just a weird habit of mine, but I love how a nice clean saddle pad looks under the saddle. I also wash the polos after every ride. I have about 10 saddle pads that fit my daughters 13" short flap saddle and they get washed after every use. With two ponies I usually wash horse laundry twice a week.

I generally switch saddle pads after about 3 or 4 "sweaty" rides- so like summer or hard schooling, etc. This winter tends to get pushed to about 6 rides... sometimes even 10 if we're not doing all that much that is constructive and sweat-worthy. I always hang them to dry in between rides and my horse is usually pretty clean so I find this routine works well. Fuzzy girth is done every second time I change saddle pads.

No.
    I used to when I was at a barn that did not charge for use of their washing machine, everybody communally washed each others things. I'd stick a load in every day.
    The barn I'm at now includes laundry service in their full service/training board, but I only pay for basic board, so I'm responsible for washing my things at home. I live in an apartment building w/ a coin laundry room ...so things don't get done every day.
    I wash my 4 saddle pads every couple weeks. the probably get around 3-4 rides each before a wash.

Yes, we use fresh baby pads for every single ride, every single time. We also use neoprene girths so they can be hosed between each ride and have enough boots that we can do the same as well. I have never and will never reuse saddle pads, not even at shows...I know I don't want to wear the same sweaty britches two days in a row, so I wouldn't put the same dirty pad on my horse.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

err i don't wash bw every ride. especially if it looks rather clean. or if the horse is disgusting and dusty...i'm not going to waste a new pad on him.

but i am also the person who rides in the same breeches a few times before washing...maybe that has something to do with it?

Im horrible. I dont wash mine very often. But the horse doesnt sweat either - sweating requires effort and he's not "for" effort.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    but i am also the person who rides in the same breeches a few times before washing...maybe that has something to do with it?
    same!

In the summer when they're sweaty, probably use the same pad for 3 or 4 rides. If they sweated through it or anything it'll only get used the once. Winter when they barely break a sweat, could be a week or two depending on their level of grunginess.

My horses each have their own pads. I don't share between them. My horses are black and grey and one time I rode a chestnut for someone else and had no choice but to use my own pad. Gosh I was horrified. I had to wash it at least 3 times to get all those orange hairs out! Never again! I don't share well, I admit it Outside horse cooties and all....

Depends on your definition of "clean".

If the horse sweats at all I thoroughly rinse the pad and hang it up to die. But they don't go in the washing machine very often.

Similarly I rinse off the neoprene girth if the horse sweats at all.

I don't wash my britches every ride either.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I switch pads between horses on a given day. If the pad is just a little damp and not really 'dirty', I'll air it out and use it then next day. And I usually wash every other day or so.

I have abou 20 saddle pads (it's a problem, I know). I use a new saddle pad every ride, every horse in the spring/summer/fall, but in the winter I might stretch it to 3 rides if they don't get sweaty. I'm a college student, but I live close to home, so I just go home every weekend to wash saddle pads. When all three horses were sound, I was using 15+ saddle pads a week! My girths are mostly synthetic, so I just sponge them off when they get grungy. People at my barn tease me because my car has become a mobile tack trunk and looks a tad trashy, with dirty and clean tack and saddle pads spilling out every time I open the doors
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I don't unless it's summer time and the horse sweats alot and makes it really dirty. But I usually get a few rides out of them until they are really dirty.

I used to when I was at a barn that had a washing machine, everyones stuff went in to the same load usually and it was great to have fresh white polos and pads everyday.
    now im at a barn with no laundry machine and I dont have a washing machine where I live so its not so easy anymore to keep everything freshly laundered. Ive just bought a few extra sets of polos and try to make everything last as long as possible before I have to take it to the laundromat.

I dont even wear clean clothes for every ride
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I try to. If I school my horse and the pad doesn't get really dirty and sweaty, then I will use it again. If it gets gross, it goes in my laundry pile at the bottom of my locker. Once I have a substantial amount of saddle pads in the pile, they get washed.

I use saddle pads until they get visibly dirty or the horse I used it on gets really sweaty. Sometimes if it's borderline dirty, I'll take a body brush to it and call it a day- works very well.

That said, I have about 15 saddle pads between my 3 riding horses (only 2 of which are in regular work), so I only really do laundry once every couple weeks. Especially in the winter when they just don't get that sweaty.

I also will wear the same pair of breeches for several rides before washing.

No, I use them until they are dirty, and then I wash them. When they are sweaty they are always hung up to dry. To me it sounds like a huge waste of water, soap, electricity, and time to do them every ride.

I have slightly over a weeks worth of baby pads so I almost always use a new one every ride. I will use again if it didn't get very sweaty and still appears white. Keeps my normal saddle pad much cleaner so I don't have to wash it nearly as often. I use a nylon girth with fleece lining for everyday and it gets washed about 1x per week or if visibly icky. I have a second one so I can easily switch them out. My favorite tack item is my biothane long riders breastplate- throw in the wash and it comes out like new. Wish I could do that with my leather items!

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    I use saddle pads until they get visibly dirty or the horse I used it on gets really sweaty. Sometimes if it's borderline dirty, I'll take a body brush to it and call it a day- works very well.

I also will wear the same pair of breeches for several rides before washing.
    This Same visibly dirt rule for breeches. I hate laundry.

I make mine/my trainer's last a few rides at least. All get hung out to dry and brushed off with a stiff brush.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)