The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How does it look like this saddle fits me?

*Update post #61*

I am new to riding in dressage saddle (hence the stirrups still being a bit short - I'm getting there!) so I'm not sure if it looks like this fits me. Fits my horse great and I really feel good in it, but really not sure....
    help?

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=Roeby005.jpg

and a video - no critique please, new horse, new saddle! Just to see if it looks like it put me in the right place, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTCBw5K2usQ
    Last edited by HappyHorselover; Jan. 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: update

The seat looks fine. When you drop your stirrups a hole or two, your leg will have a better position on the flap. Right now, while moving, your knee is being forced over the front of the knee pad (which is probably causing you some balance issues you're trying to solve by keeping your stirrups short. )
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I think the seat looks fine. It's comfy for you and comfy for your horse and that's all that matters.

If I had any critique, it would be that your femur looks a tad long for the flap, but when you lower your stirrups it'll probably be fine.

Cute horse! You two look to be having a great time. Have fun!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I would agree about dropping your stirrups down. The flap might still be a tad too straight for your femur, but it would be much better. Also, it looks like you might be pushing yourself further back in the seat by keeping the stirrups shorter, or it could just be the balance point.

Personally I think the seat looks one or two sizes too small. You look too crammed into it, both the seat and the flap.

agree with PP - you dont need to put your stirrups down - they look about right - but the saddle doesn't fir your length of thigh.

The size of the seat seems fine, but it seems that the shape of the seat is wrong and you are not actually sitting in the saddle, but holding yourself/pushing back away from the pommel. IF that is how you like to ride, then yes, get a larger seat, or if you can lower your stirrups and still be comfortable, you might find it is good.

But, the current trend seems to be a super-narrow twist on a HIGH pommel saddle with massive thigh blocks, which then has to be 2 sizes bigger than a less built up saddle would be. Which effectively leaves the rider in a moderate twist, flatter saddle.

I see so many people in saddles so huge that they are starting to look like western saddles with the amount of saddle in front of, and behind the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I see so many people in saddles so huge that they are starting to look like western saddles with the amount of saddle in front of, and behind the rider.
    so true!!!!

I'm in agreement with the above two. it's too small
    you aren't really sitting IN it, more perched on it, and while 'new to dressage' will typically look kind of perchy... I'd be afraid you'd fly off in a spook, and that's not good!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I agree with those who thought it didn't fit my length of thigh - that's how it felt - like I needed to push myself back into the seat more. It's an 18" seat and my CC is a 17" (County Stabilizer) so I think it's the flap that's not really compatible with my confirmation.

I felt balanced, but a little behind the motion, if that makes sense.

I do NOT like the big huge dressage saddles of today - which is why I am looking at older models (that, and I'm not willing to shell out a ton of cash). I like a dressage saddle that feels like a CC!

You all are awesome for replying - really helped me decide this isn't the one when I thought it might be, but had waggling thoughts that it wasn't

eta: for those who say it's too small - it's an 18", I have never even seen anything bigger than that "off the rack." Seems crazy I'd be in a 17" CC and a dressage saddle that many sizes bigger. Do they make 18.5" and 19"?

But, the current trend seems to be a super-narrow twist on a HIGH pommel saddle with massive thigh blocks, which then has to be 2 sizes bigger than a less built up saddle would be. Which effectively leaves the rider in a moderate twist, flatter saddle.

Funny enough Catherine Haddad recommends a 18" seat even on the saddle she designed, which has ZERO knee rolls or blocks, and is FAR from having a high pommel or being deep at all.

I have seen the opposite, so many people riding in way too small of a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    I do NOT like the big huge dressage saddles of today - which is why I am looking at older models (that, and I'm not willing to shell out a ton of cash). I like a dressage saddle that feels like a CC!
    Then I highly recommend you at least take some time to try the Stubbens.

I have owned a few Stubbens, once I went County, Stubbens felt like bricks!

try looking at keiffers or neidersuss's... or with your confo maybe passier GG??

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    I have owned a few Stubbens, once I went County, Stubbens felt like bricks!
    Well I am sure you have not ridden in every Stubben ever made? I have ridden in many County saddles and owned 4 of them, they are not all created equal either. The Biomax seat is probably one of the best inventions ever.

fwiw, IMO your jumping saddle is also too small for you.

I think the jumping saddle looks like the right size. A hand in front and in back.

But, at least we know why you think everyone is in a too small saddle!

I think the jumping saddle looks like the right size. A hand in front and in back.

But, at least we know why you think everyone is in a too small saddle!
    I don't think "everyone" is in too small a saddle, but I do think too many people try to fit themselves in too small a seat. It's not like pants sizes, it doesn't mean you are fat! I am 5'6" and 120lbs and don't even have a particularly long leg and ride in a 17.5-18".

The OP has a long thigh and rides in a shorter stirrup. In the jumping saddle it looks like her leg is pushing her butt to the back of the seat. I don't think she needs to lengthen her stirrups so much as needs a more forward flap and/or slightly larger seat.

FWIW I actually do not have a long thigh by measurement at ALL. Measured it last night and it measures into a 17" by saddlery guides. I wish I had long legs but I really don't. I ride in the shorter stirrup when I jump, obviously

PP - I cannot afford a newer Stubben, and yes I have ridden in a lot of the older ones and they are all like rocks to me. I owned a newer Roxane and it was like a rock. Wasn't a fan of the twist either. Also, they seem to all be made of "slippery" leather where all the County's I have ridden in/seen have calf leather, which I prefer. Just a preference thing, I don't really like Stubbens anymore!

mbm - I found a neidersuss I liked online, but no way of trying it out. Looked nice though! I have never heard of the brand, so I was researching last night!