The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default After the doxy, repairing the tummy?

My horse is on a 30-day course of doxy for Lyme disease. She has had tummy trouble from the doxy. (Belching, acting ulcer-y) I'm currently giving her a lunch meal with ranitidine, which seems to keep the major symptoms at bay, but she's still way too pissy & miserable to try to ride.

For those of you whose horses also seemed sensitive to doxy (and I'm talking stomach issues here) - How long did it take them to feel better in the tummy dept. after stopping the doxy? Did you give anything (ulcergard, etc.) to help repair the stomach lining, or was simply removing the doxy good enough?

Tomorrow is the half-way point (yay!!!) and I want to stock up on anything I might need in advance, so I can hit the ground running in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Kauffman's Animal Health Pro Paste. I usually keep a few tubes on hand for those moments. I use it after deworming or antibiotics or bute- anything that could throw off the balance of the gut.

http://www.ka-hi.com/DigestiveHealth.php

Probiotics--I use either Fastrack or Probios. Ranitidine is good, Ulcergard is better.

When my guy was on doxy, I started ProBios and U-7 after he got a bit runny the first day... No more tummy troubles after that.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I wasn't clear - I am asking about the stomach issues, as in the anatomical stomach, not general GI issues.

She's been on Fastrack since I started the doxy and is not suffering from diarrhea.

I'm asking about issues of the stomach such as ulcers, and whether anyone's horse needed anything special after a long course of doxy to do any repair to the stomach lining, or whether simply taking them off the doxy was good enough?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

This probably isn't your answer, but it may prove useful to someone interested in the topic: at the farm I worked at, we made a habit of mixing the doxy up with plain vanilla yogurt from the store. We fed this with also with any other med that would cause stomach upset, bute ect. The horses did very well with this approach; and keep in mind these were are all young, rather high-strung Arabians.
    WHY am I such a sucker for cute ponies??!!!

1/4 tube of Ulcergard every day. Milk products aren't supposed to be eaten within 2 hours of doxy...at least for humans and make sure you check with the vet on the timing of Ulcergard. It's much easier to prevent ulcers than treat them (cheaper too).
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/