The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Brutal Horse-Mounted Assault" on Portland "Occupiers"

Look at the third video in the link and watch the "assault".

http://www.opednews.com/Diary/Occupy...11117-857.html

All night Saturday, through Sunday morning, I was witness to thousands of Portlanders who showed up in the cold and rain, and defied Mayor Sam Adams with his legions of riot police, and order to disperse. It was a complete Occupy Portland success, in the face of a brutal horse-mounted assault.

The media lied and said the police were not trying to break up the people's assembly, when they charged horses into the peaceful crowd. It was an incredible display of our citizens' courage, putting their bodies in front of huge horses, and refusing to budge. When the people gather in numbers, and have the courage of their convictions, the police are powerless. A just cause trumps cowardly tyranny. If just for a day, but the fight continues.

Apparently, the media wants us to believe that the police were just practicing crushing people with horses, and they did not really mean it.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I am so sick of hearing about these protesters and their claims of police brutality. Here's an idea, do what you are told, and the police won't have to go hands (or hooves) on. It is a very simple concept!

Yeah, because the police NEVER overreact (Chicago 1968)

I just watched the video. The protesters were obviously in the middle of the street, blocking traffic, which is not legal. Maybe they should have gotten on the sidewalk, and they wouldn't have been pushed around by the officers/horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Yeah, because the police NEVER overreact (Chicago 1968)

Oh, I know the police do overreact at times. Portland, and other cities, have been putting up with these protesters for over a month now. How long are the protesters supposed to be allowed to continue to break the law before something is done about it?

Oh, for Pete's sake these occupiers need to get a life. That had to be the slowest "charge" I've ever seen. I'd think that any thinking human being would move when a horse is trying to "occupy" the same space you are. If you want to stand there and get "crushed" they you're a moron. I still can't figure it out what the heck are they protesting?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I was waiting for the police horses to "charge."
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

What great horses!!

Idiots. Get a shower.

I heard on the news one of them in NY saying that if the "financial system doesn't change, we'll smash it".

Really. As they were blocking people from going to work. Newsflash. Your average employee on Wall Street, taking the subway to work is not your enemy. And putting them out of work, along with the hot dog vendors, etc. just shows the ignorance of OWS.

Go Occupy Frannie and Freddie offices. Or the UAW offices. Or the Teachers Union offices. Or Barney Franks' house.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

hmm. i would like to see evidence of keg marks on peoples' shoes, then.

IME (worked quite a few very large demos/marches in DC on a volunteer basis over the decades) protesters etc tend to run up to the horses to pet them. then they go back to shouting whatever they're shouting.

the park service had four mounted officers outside the WH yesterday; two clydes, a belgian and a perchie. nice horsies.

You wanna see a charge?

I'll video my horses at feeding time.

Those people are effing idiots - I'm all for protesting but this "movement" is more like a giant bowel movement than lawful assembly.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Or send them the Dover bill....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Yeah, I tend to support protesters just for getting out there but this hurts their cause and I think is kind of offensive. Not just to the LEOs who weren't doing anything, but to people who really have been beaten and arrested at lawful protests. There can be a lot of problems with the way our police forces react to protesters but trumping up some officers walking their horses through a crowd (and it kind of looked to me like they were trying to keep their horses away from protesters rather than any kind of charge, though of course it was hard to tell) as a brutal charge is ridiculous.

Or the UAW offices. Or the Teachers Union offices.

In this case, you are either ill-informed, or confusing the actual perpetrators of corruption with your hard-working community neighbors who are slowly getting firetrucked by greedy upper management.

Occupy seeks to not remain passive while the small fruits of life's labor are stolen andsquandered by greedy and very wealthy people who want yet more. They believe in social Darwinism--that the poor or ill are poor and ill because they somehow deserve it.

That the police force used a mounted patrol was kindly--beats a robot remote control airplane with a bomb, as we are using overseas.

And if you can read this post, thank a teacher.
    SZ

While I respect the need to draw attention to the fact that the 1% are making off with the goodies, these guys aren't the 99%... they are the 9.1% who have time to do this. The other 89.9% of us are at work, earning money and paying taxes to fund the police officers, sanitation crews, electricity and running water that these guys need to have their street rave safely and to clean up the aftermath. It's all a lot of fun until someone loses an eye, no? So someones tootsies got trod on and they are now screaming brutality. What about the small business owners in the area that are suffering because people are afraid to go through flashmobs to get to the stores. So if the unions aren't the issue go occupy Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Or Bank of America. Surely there are enough branches of BoA for them to share.

Quote Originally Posted by shireluver View Post
    Portland, and other cities, have been putting up with these protesters for over a month now. How long are the protesters supposed to be allowed to continue to break the law before something is done about it?
    If I recall correctly, I believe it has now been two months that they have been "occupying". They attempted to commandeer a bank in downtown Portland, yesterday. Oops, I mean they attempted to "occupy".

People are getting fed up, and I'm not talking about the Occupy protesters.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Default Oh, I'm well informed.

Quote Originally Posted by xsuzi View Post

In this case, you are either ill-informed, or confusing the actual perpetrators of corruption with your hard-working community neighbors who are slowly getting firetrucked by greedy upper management.

Occupy seeks to not remain passive while the small fruits of life's labor are stolen andsquandered by greedy and very wealthy people who want yet more. They believe in social Darwinism--that the poor or ill are poor and ill because they somehow deserve it.

That the police force used a mounted patrol was kindly--beats a robot remote control airplane with a bomb, as we are using overseas.

And if you can read this post, thank a teacher.
    I specifically noted the teacher's unions, NOT teachers. And maybe the OWS people should sit down and read, carefully, about ALL of those that created and perpetrate, that mess.

Bur really, more for an off topic day
    Last edited by Brandy76; Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    While I respect the need to draw attention to the fact that the 1% are making off with the goodies, these guys aren't the 99%... they are the 9.1% who have time to do this. The other 89.9% of us are at work, earning money and paying taxes to fund the police officers, sanitation crews, electricity and running water that these guys need to have their street rave safely and to clean up the aftermath. It's all a lot of fun until someone loses an eye, no? So someones tootsies got trod on and they are now screaming brutality. What about the small business owners in the area that are suffering because people are afraid to go through flashmobs to get to the stores. So if the unions aren't the issue go occupy Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Or Bank of America. Surely there are enough branches of BoA for them to share.
    This.

My best friend is all about "Occupying". Now I love her death but OMG Im so tired of her ranting that Im not "doing anything to make change!" because Im not down town drum circling in the park all night in 20% weather. I forgive her though because she has "small town girl syndrome". She wants to "be a part of something great", "be remembered in the history books", and "be a journalist!"... bla bla bla. I ripped an out-of-work-theatre-kid a new backside the other day when I saw her trotting off back to the "occupation" with a handfull of supplies bought at freaking wal-mart!

They say we are at war with the coporations. Well then I say to them, ya know how you win a war don't ya? You financially devestate your apponent. Therefor the answere to winning to this war on American soil is to stop buying from the entities that are crushing us. I can not tell you the last time I stepped into a Wal-Mart, a 7-11, or ate fast food or bought from a massive grocery store chain. I spent less than $100 a month on groceries. ALL locally bought! The only massive companies I can not get away from are Gas and Drug companies. If I can do it anyone can. The protesters need to pack up (please quit trashing the park!) and put their money where their mouth is. OMFG quite buying camping supplies to go "occupy" with from Wal-Mart! Stop buying from the 1% and they will crumble.

Let's not get too far afield into discussing the protest itself -- please save that for OT day -- discussion of the use of horses by the police is fine.

Thanks ~
    Mod 1

I did not watch the above clips because I get to see this stuff every night on the local news.
    What I clearly saw on the news, was a protester throwing some kind of liquid in the face of the Belgian looking horse you see at the beginning of the first clip.

Quote Originally Posted by xsuzi View Post

Nope, she hit it right on the mark