The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

I am seriously giving thought to moving to J'ville, FL. First, I want to know about boarding in the area...cost, trainers, etc...

Second, I'd like to know what kind of local circuit they have there...what can I expect?

Thanks for any and all help!

BTW, I also posted this in Off Course...just trying to get info from as many people as possible! Moderators, if this is a problem, delete one of them... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I am seriously giving thought to moving to J'ville, FL. First, I want to know about boarding in the area...cost, trainers, etc...

Second, I'd like to know what kind of local circuit they have there...what can I expect?

Thanks for any and all help!

BTW, I also posted this in Off Course...just trying to get info from as many people as possible! Moderators, if this is a problem, delete one of them... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I can't tell you about any barns in Jacksonville. But they do have some good shows up there. Do a seach on North Florida Hunter Jumper Association and you can see a list of some of the shows they have there. Summers are always slow here in Florida, but fall, winter, and spring you can find shows every weekend. Gainesville and Ocala, both big horse areas, are only a couple hours from JAX. Hope this helped a little.
    **Some horses are so polite, when they come to a jump, they stop and let you go over first**

jswdlw Guest

Try this site for Orlando non-rated shows. There is also links to other organization that can help you with your search.

www.gohja.org

I live in Jax. I also work at the large tack store here. I talk to a lot of people from different barns.

If you are looking for a higher end h/j show barn, they run anywhere from $500-700ish a month.

I board at a smaller non show barn for $400 a month.

We have the First Coast Hunter Jumper Association, which is I believe B rated shows. Its very laid back and FUN! Then we have the Norht Florida Hunter Jumper Assoc which are the A rated shows. We also have various other shows at the fairgrounds and are within a good distance to many other shows. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Let me know if you have any specific questions and Ill see what I can find out for you.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Thanks for the replies...keep 'em comming!

Who else is from JAX on this BB?

I live in the Jacksonville area. Green Cove actually, where most of the shows are held. Around here, you can find board from $275 for relative backyard type boarding, (but with good care) to 4-500, and some of that is terrible care, so it really depends on how picky you are. As far as trainers, if you find one that is truly decent, with good background knowledge, and true show experience, Let me know. I'd love to find them as well.
    The show circuits here are decent, there is the North Florida one that hosts the Jacksonville WInter Series, and a couple of other rated shows in the fall.
    The first Coast circuit does not have rated shows, but the shows they have are excellent quality. Both associations hold their shows at the Clay County fairgrounds, so it gets kind of boring showing at the same place all of the time, but Gainesville and Ocala aren't too far away to go to for overnight shows. Overall, I lvoe the area, but really would like to find a good trainer!

Jacksonville is sort of an odd place for the horse world. It is a great area to live with lots going on and a lot of opportunity, but the horse world is 10 years behind the rest of the country. You can find places to board, but not great trainers. You can find terrible places to board, too!

The winter circuit is pretty nice and some years has great competition, but it is not usually local trainers. The First Coast shows are run really well, but not B rated as someone mentioned. The North Florida shows are also well run, but except for a few long term Jacksonville residents, the people who win are from out of the area.

What is it about Jacksonville? It is a prosperous area and ideal for horses, but it does not have top trainers. If you are from out of town, you will be horrified by some of the boarding situations. There are some nice barns with $$$ monthly board and I found most of those had long waiting lists. I was told at one place you had to be out of the barn by 6 at night. Hmmm, not good for working people. And the barn was closed EVERY Sunday, so don't make show plans (let alone ride) on Sundays!

It is a really weird horse area. I would have probably stayed in the area if I could have had a better horse experience.

I guess I'm looking more for a good boarding stable as opposed to trainers...

I'm mostly concerned with proper care as opposed to training....good feed, turn-out, etc...

Once I begin showing again, I'll get someone reputable to coach me at the shows... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

We have a good thing going at my barn. I am on the southside area of Jacksonville, at Can Do Farm in Mandarin. Its $400 for a stall and turn out, no extra fees for supplements or blanketing, etc. 12x12 stalls, etc etc. PM me if you are interested and I could show you around! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Cool! I'l be visiting my new beau in a few weeks for a week....I'll let you know more specifics...I'd love to meet another COTHer as well as get to know the horsie side of things in JAX! Thank You! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I'm in the Jacksonville area and board my horse @ a private barn in Switzerland (Switzerland, Florida that is - located just south of Jax in St. John's County!)

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a trainer and what level of showing you're interested in. I work with two trainers here and I think the world of both of them. Jane Steen and Robin Harris are both great - please feel free to PT me for info!

Perhaps we need to consider a COTH BB'er meeting in Jax?????

Feel free to PT if there's any info you'd like! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Old age is no place for sissies.
    Bette Davis

I work at Horse & Kennel so that would be an ideal place to meet up! A tack store! What better place? I think its a great idea. One can never have too many horse friends! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~

I'll join you guys. I second the Robin Harris/ Jane Steen recommendation. A lot depends on whether you want a fancy hunter/jumper show barn or dressage or more of a private, low key boarding situation. Let us know when you are coming and we meet if possible.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

KrazyTBMare, I thought that was you. THe clue that gave it away was Horse and Kennel. Would like to be included on tha COTH BB meeting as well. Dito on Jane and Robin.
    my horse isn\'t spoiled, just well taken care of.

Yea! This is so cool! I'll let you know the dates as soon as I can....and we'll have a mini-COTH get together and then we can discuss boarding options!

Thank you all for being so helpful!
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

OHH!! Almost forgot! I'll be looking for a job as well...have my masters in counseling, but am considering a different field if anyone knows of any openings! My undergrad is in Communication Studies....Ugh...hate the job search thingy...oh well!

Can't wait to meet up with our small group. Fernie should show up too if she hasn't moved. We'll be sure she knows about it when we get the dates.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

Fernie is probally busy with her new Canter horse. I saw this morning where she posted on FLHorse. This is going to be too cool.
    my horse isn\'t spoiled, just well taken care of.

I'm up for a jax meeting. Does living in Brunswick count? I boarded at Coriander Farm in Mandarin. Great care. Great help. Saul is the best help around. No grass turnout, but big stalls. They go usually to the N. Florida Shows, the rated Jax, Ocala, Gainesville, and even Tampa. The owner is Katie Young. Megan Young, who is a very good junior rider, is in her last junior year. She has a trainer that teaches most of the lessons because she (Katie) is on the road either with Megan or judging (big R). She helps at the shows though. Lots of nice people there. I think they only have training board which is $825, I think. It's a lot, but it includes three rides or lessons a week.

There is an absolutely gorgeous facility not far away on Old St. Augustine Road. I don't know what it's called or who owns it though. I think the ride with Don Stewart (meet him at shows) but I'm not sure.

Let me know about the Jax COTH getogether.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi