The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    kdg Guest

OK I have been with my trainer for 4 years. He decided he was fed up with the lessons and sold his school horses and quit teaching. He said he was tired of people not showing up for scheduled lessons and it was no longer worth his time, and quit the business. He was awesome and charged much less than the other trainers, but our students were very competitive at the local and A rated shows, but since people were not respecting him by cancelling sheduled lessons he just turned the towel in. He said he loved the lessons and the showing, but it was no longer feasable for him to continue because he was not making a profit. How can he do this to his students?? This is not fair.he was letting us show his horses without us having to pay a lease, which is very nice,,, but now we are forced to have to BUY our own horse to show- the other local barns have a policy that you must lease a horse in order to go to the shows... That is not fair. We can't afford to pay $30,000 for a nice horse to do the local circuit, which is what it costs around here for a decent 2'6-3'0 horse, to lease a horse is around $10,000 for a good local horse for JUST 1 YEAR!! For a horse to go to the A shows and win is way much more. How can a trainer just walk out on his students??? Has anyone ever experienced this before??? I think it is his obligation since he was in the business to accomadate us. He just threw the towel in and walked out. He even sold all his school horses- no one wanted to pay a lease on the school horses, but we were paying for lessons and that should have accounted for something. The parents felt like they did not have to purchase a horse because most of them were showing the horse for basically free., just pay show expenses.( No lease fee- but they were still paying for lessons) He even sold all of his investment horses. Now we are having to go to other barns and pay twice for lessons and in order to show HAVE to lease the horse, I don't think this is fair. What do you guys think??? I think in my opinion if we were showing his school horses he should have given us the option to buy the horse, but he sold them for WAY much more than any of us could have afforded. Just NOT fair- now none of us have a horse to show this year. We just can't afford the cost of a horse, but we took a lesson each week which put money in his pocket.

kdg Guest

OK I have been with my trainer for 4 years. He decided he was fed up with the lessons and sold his school horses and quit teaching. He said he was tired of people not showing up for scheduled lessons and it was no longer worth his time, and quit the business. He was awesome and charged much less than the other trainers, but our students were very competitive at the local and A rated shows, but since people were not respecting him by cancelling sheduled lessons he just turned the towel in. He said he loved the lessons and the showing, but it was no longer feasable for him to continue because he was not making a profit. How can he do this to his students?? This is not fair.he was letting us show his horses without us having to pay a lease, which is very nice,,, but now we are forced to have to BUY our own horse to show- the other local barns have a policy that you must lease a horse in order to go to the shows... That is not fair. We can't afford to pay $30,000 for a nice horse to do the local circuit, which is what it costs around here for a decent 2'6-3'0 horse, to lease a horse is around $10,000 for a good local horse for JUST 1 YEAR!! For a horse to go to the A shows and win is way much more. How can a trainer just walk out on his students??? Has anyone ever experienced this before??? I think it is his obligation since he was in the business to accomadate us. He just threw the towel in and walked out. He even sold all his school horses- no one wanted to pay a lease on the school horses, but we were paying for lessons and that should have accounted for something. The parents felt like they did not have to purchase a horse because most of them were showing the horse for basically free., just pay show expenses.( No lease fee- but they were still paying for lessons) He even sold all of his investment horses. Now we are having to go to other barns and pay twice for lessons and in order to show HAVE to lease the horse, I don't think this is fair. What do you guys think??? I think in my opinion if we were showing his school horses he should have given us the option to buy the horse, but he sold them for WAY much more than any of us could have afforded. Just NOT fair- now none of us have a horse to show this year. We just can't afford the cost of a horse, but we took a lesson each week which put money in his pocket.

You are joking, right?

This is a terrible thing for him to do, but he has to think of himself first. If he is becoming too stressed out or is losing money, obviously he cannot afford to keep doing this. Just think of all of the shows that you got to do on nice horses and all that you have learned from him. If you work for other barns they could let you ride their horses and even show them without a leasing fee if you work hard enough. I know not every barn does this but if you want to ride and show bad enough you will find a way. I think that it's sad that he's done this, but it is his choice. It's rotten that he's done this to all of his students, but he has to pay the bills too.

OvertheHillBillies Land, where PD\'s roam & thongs are dependable

Sounds like your trainer went out of his way to help his students. He just got fed up with being treated poorly. Having horses that your students can show is both expensive and time consuming. The upkeep alone doesn't make it worth while to not get any $$$'s for them. Unfortunately my sympathies, from what you posted, are in your trainers favor, not yours... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

KDG - Sounds like he did what he considered best for him. Sounds like it was LONG OVERDUE and I hope that he finds happiness in his new chosen profession.

No one can take advantage of you without your permission, but this guy was WAY WAY generous. YOu say that it's not fair?

Wake up, hon. Life's not fair.

As I said- best wishes to this man and I hope that you find some sort of situation that you can afford. But if not, you were given a wonderful opportunity for a period of time. And it's over.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Get a horse.....who would wanna ride school horses??? OMG i got my hunter/Jumper for 2,000$

Let me get this straight...you feel like it was your trainer's obligation to provide you with a horse to show for free? To accomadate all your wants and needs? To sell his horses dirt cheap to his students when he could get a better price just because they shelled out some money every week to take lessons? Or no...shelled out money SOMETIMES to take lessons, since you said people cancelled a lot. Good Lord. The guy probably just made the smartest decision of his life.

"I want, I want, I want." - Give me a break. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to be a crotch about it, but I can't stand people who think the world revolves around them.

First of all - if he sold everything, this must have taken some amount of time. Didn't you see it coming? Secondly - consider yourself extremely lucky that you were never charged a show-lease fee. Do you really think that taking one lesson a week entitles you to special treatment. Personally, as someone who teaches and has my own horses, a student like you wouldn't be of any great financial value to me.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is a business pure and simple. If you just want to play and lesson once a week - why in God's name would you think you need a 30k horse! Since you are from IL, I would love to know at least the area this ex-trainer is from.

Also, if you are any sort of decent rider there should be a number of barns that would love for you to catchride or help show their horses. My suggestion - find a working student position.
    *Ride and let ride...*

Sounds to me like his students had it coming. As a trainer myself, I know how hard it is for students to afford lessons and shows. I also know how hard it is for me and my BO to make any kind of a living off of lessons alone. Those lesson horses that he lets you ride don't live for free. The money that you paid him didn't go straight into his pockets and make hima rich man. I'll bet that 50-60% of that went straight into caring for the horses at least! I know that I only get $13.5 from each student. Not alot considering the time and effort I have to put out. For example, I have 7 scheduled students for Thursday nights. Half the time I'm lucky if more than 3 show up. It's very hard to make ends meet this way. Thank God my hubby has a good paying job and can support us.

Quit your cryin. I don't think you're going to find a whole lot of sympathy on this board. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

not fair, not fair, not fair? How about it's not fair to him for giving up his time (and time=money...) to people who don't show up? It's most likely not a win-win situation for him to let everyone use horses of his, that he's spent time training, and caring for for a practically free lease. It's your trainer I have the most sympathy for, he made a ton of sacrifices, time and financial, for his students and it sounds like they didn't appreciate him. He was probably doing what he loved and hoping to make it.

I'm sorry you're out a trainer, and I hope you find someone else. Make sure you appreciate the work and sacrifices that your trainer makes, it's anything but easy.

p.s. send him to NC http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

kdg, he owes it to you...? Please tell me you're a teenager, because, with all due respect to your possible riding abilities, you have some major growing up to do! Please, when you do grow up, think about someone besides yourself.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what trainer you're talking about. And he and his wife bought their own farm 2 or 3 years ago, right? Had bunches of school horses. Up and sold them all. They hold clinics and rated dressage shows as well as open h/j shows. They also show actively on the A circuit and sell horses as well as try to run a barn currently with 50% occupancy. These are extremely competant people who are well on their way toward making it big on the local scene. Obviously the decision was a difficult one, but cost effective in their eyes. This is what good businesses do. That's how they become successful.

No one is obligated to provide anyone else with a horse to show. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE BUY HORSES. Why buy a horse if you can have/lease one for free? You have to pay to play. Thats FAIR.

Everyone who mentioned making some money off teaching on a school horse is lucky. I own 4. Each week, I teach the first 5 lessons, PER HORSE (thats 20 lessons total), for free. It all goes straight to board. Shoer/vet NOT included. After all the upkeep on the school program, shoer/vet, tack, supplies, supplies, supplies, I might break even anually. I continue to teach the school simply because I love it. I certainly don't make money on it. I started and stayed in a riding school for 10 years, so I guess it's my way of giving back. Unfortunatly, if I had as much on my plate as this trainer you're talking about does, I'd have to quit the school as well. I have a mortgage to pay, bottom line. Fair? Yes, probably it is fair. Fair is paying for what you want to have.

You say all the other barns in the area make you pay large lease fees to have a horse to show. That's funny because my school has school horses you can take to shows for a small lease fee of $160 per show + show fees. I don't think that's very expensive for two days of showing. Too bad you didn't call around very far. After reading a post like this, I'd be wary of taking you as a student.

I am a trainer who "Just quit teaching". Let me tell you how it feels from the other side. You have a few students who seem like nice people who want to take lessons and supposedly have goals which they and you make a plan to accomplish. For a while they show up and pay, then "other" things start to make it harder and harder for their riding to progress. Have to go to the husbands softball game, can't forget the other family activities and oh yeah, the concerts, vacations and other hobbies. Now they aren't progressing so well, could it be that it is because one lesson every couple of weeks won't get you to the A show level? Meanwhile their very nice lesson horse, nice enough to win at the A level still expects to eats, get his supplements, and receive vet and farrier care. I guess I am supposed to subsidize their riding fantasies while they dream about showing and I pay for it. Sorry but 2-3 lessons a month doesn't cut it. I have to pay insurance in case the idiots fall off, feed, vet, farrier, oh, and by the way I enjoy the occasional meal and roof over my head. I'm just self indulgent I guess. Then we make it to a show which goes well and the client says," Oh by the way I am a little short, can you hold my check till next Thursday?" Sure how about if I don't feed your horse till then! It just gets old. The harder you try, the less people respect you, the more they demand. The only trainers around here are pretty much hard a**es because its the only way to stay in business.
    One day I woke up, looked in my check book and in the mirror and knew what decision I had to make. Sorry clients but I, as in ME, need to be happy and financially solvent and with you as clients that was never going to happen. I did give ample notice to everyone, tried to help those who were looking for another situation find one and generally behave like an adult, even though I wanted to tell them all to just get the hell out of my barn and my life. It was the best decision I ever made, and I will never allow myself to be put in that type of situation again. If you have a trainer you like and respect, live up to your obligations, pay your bills, be serious about your goals, and thank god you haven't driven him or her into the mental hospital.
    Second place is first loser.

Dear FireLizard, for your good intentions, you get the Purple Horseheart. The good die young, and the as--h--es live on to torment us!! Damn!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Get a horse.....who would wanna ride school horses??? OMG i got my hunter/Jumper for 2,000$ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, (but IMO) but that was uncalled for. Not everyone has the time or $ necessary to take care of their own horse. And school horses - some are angels to ride and there are always a few sour rides, point: they are all horses no matter what and riding is supposed to be fun! It is also the cost of the upkeep of the horse itself that is difficult for some people, like myself, to manage.

kdg: Yes, I have had a trainer (also my friend of a long time) who quit teaching from out of the blue. Like others, she also couldn't take people not showing up, ignoring her reqests, etc. I know (been in the situation myself) that leasing horses/riding elsewhere is going to be difficult, but it could deff. be managed. Could you try to work at a stable in exchange for lease payments/riding time? Just a suggestion, hope this helps!

It's too bad your instructor wasn't a better business person. It should not have taken him so long to realize he was losing money and in trouble financially.
    Also, what about lesson contracts? At the place where I ride, you pre-pay and if you don't show up and don't call 24 hrs in advance, you lose that lesson.

Riding and showing horses is extremely expensive. Lesson horses and programs are gradually disappearing across the country.

When you get into any business, it is crucial to figure out what your actual expenses are and charge ENOUGH to make a go of it.

IMO it is rare to find a good instructor who is also a good business person.

Best wishes
    What's the scoop?

And yet we continue to wonder WHY we Hunter/Jumper riders have a reputation as bratty princesses...I can't IMAGINE where that comes from... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Why in the world would he be expected to subsidize you? Or any one else?
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.