The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knightbridge saddle, Made in England?

Has anyone ever heard of this saddle? I took a saddle out on consignment from my local tack shop and the only two makings on the saddle are "Knightsbridge" on the keepers and "Made in England" under the flap. It is obviously a nice saddle as the leather is REALLY nice like my County. Butter soft calfskin, it feels like. Just wondered if anyone had any insight on it. I rode in it today and LOVED it and it fits pony well. The consignment price is only $500 so I know I can get it for much less as it is brown and older and I don't think the seller realizes how nice it is

eta: Found a listing on eBay for this saddle, so it is for real
    Last edited by HappyHorselover; Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

If it fits you and your horse, I'd say grab it. It sounds like a great buy.

If that's the ebay.uk listing, it's a very nicely made older saddle - though the panels did need reflocking (adjustment usualy runs up to $100 & complete reflock $200-300 depending on the price of the wool used) - the gullet channel is narrower than modern saddles, but would likely work for most horses.

If you still have that consignment saddle, take a dressage lesson in it, also some photos of you just stting with draped legs in the saddle - that should help clarify the fit issue, as you won't be able to perch.

You can spend alot of time & money, tracking down saddles that won't fit your horse as nicely as this one, so why not try a couple lessons in it

I think Richard Castelow makes a "Knightsbridge" dressage saddle; http://www.mmtackshop.com/ricadrsa.html
    http://www.richardcastelow.com/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    If that's the ebay.uk listing, it's a very nicely made older saddle - though the panels did need reflocking (adjustment usualy runs up to $100 & complete reflock $200-300 depending on the price of the wool used) - the gullet channel is narrower than modern saddles, but would likely work for most horses.

If you still have that consignment saddle, take a dressage lesson in it, also some photos of you just stting with draped legs in the saddle - that should help clarify the fit issue, as you won't be able to perch.

You can spend alot of time & money, tracking down saddles that won't fit your horse as nicely as this one, so why not try a couple lessons in it
    The consignment saddle is the Knightsbridge - I asked this before I started the other thread, trying to figure out what it was!