The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wind Puffs

My 6 year old mare has recently started swelling on her left fetlock. She is not lame on it at all, there is heat and it gets worse after riding. It looks a lot of like a wind puff and it comes and goes randomly. She has had no history of any other wind puffyness and I have never heard of a horse getting a wind puff on only one leg.

So is it wind puffs? I know it is hard to know without looking at at but is anything I can do for it other than poulticing when it's swollen and wrapping after I ride?

Yikes. I would worry about the suspensory branch. Might be worth having a vet take a peak.

Can't contribute to the mystery, but I CAN tell you I ride a guy who has a pretty bad windpuffed LF and the RF is windpuff free....

I would also be concerned about the suspensory, especially since it gets worse during your ride. I would say call a vet, and baby it a bit until it is looked at. I have also seen uneven windpuffs, though.

Does not sound like a windpuff at all. Windpuffs have no heat and they go down with exercise as circulation increases. What you are describing sounds to me like a tendon injury. I would keep my horse in a stall until a vet can get out to ultrasound that leg.

Hmmm... Because of the heat and the location, if I found any reactivity on palpation, I would stall rest/paddock rest until ultrasounded.

However, I realize many people have not gone through my experiences with soft tissue damage (in other words, I'm over sensitive) so I could easily see it also being appropriate to handwalk or tack walk on good solid footing for two weeks (protol for minor fiber disruption.) if there are no further symptoms then return slowly to regular work. If the horse has a show or otherwise needs to stay in full work, then a ultrasound is your best bet.

If it is just "windpuffs" then the above protocol may help to prevent the windpuff from being a permanent addition to your horse's leg.

Best of luck

It is worse after riding and hot? WHY ARE YOU RIDING? Call your vet. This is not windpuffs. They are not hot and go down with exercise.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/health...windpuffs.aspx

L

A horse can have a soft tissue injury without being lame. Given that there is heat and it gets worse with work, I would call the vet out to have a look. If it were me, I would be wrapping it and cold hosing until I had it ulrasounded.

It is possible to have a windpuff in only one leg, but as others have already said, there would be no heat and the swelling would get better with work.