The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coat insight? Pretty please?

I hate starting fashion threads, but, well...I did.

I haven't seriously shown in a few years, and I'm not really a big follower of trends, but I'm really starting to get tired of my show coat. I got it when I was a young teenager, and while I (sort of) still fit into it, I think it's time for another. It's a gorgeous coat and I still plan on wearing it, but I'd like an alternative as well.

Through online training for work, I've gotten a nice discount on some Ariat products, including their coats. I've narrowed it down to two, but I just wanted some good ol' COTH advice before I make a purchase.

The basic question is this: I know people can get away with a pretty black coat in the equitation, but would I look absolutely ridiculous in one in the hunters? I'll be doing nicer local shows and a few big A and AA shows. Is this something people have been seeing at all?

The coat I have right now is a nice brighter navy Marigold with a subtle light blue pinstripe and light blue lining. Really pretty. But it doesn't fit me great (I've lost some weight, then regained it, etc.)

I'm debating between the navy plaid and the black pin plaid (which has piping ) of this coat:
    http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/A...rophyCoat.html

Any insight?

You guys always have the best advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

I think both of them are appropriate for the hunter ring. I would probably go for the blue if you have just one coat as blue is always acceptable but both are very pretty.

Both are good. Have you also thought about a washable jacket? I have the Pikeur Skarlett in this bluey grey colour and it's lovely.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...3&fr=yfp-t-469
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have probably twelve or so beautiful hunt coats in my closet and often wear one of my black coats in the hunters ON PURPOSE! Black is perfectly acceptable, in fact I also show in the jumpers and never change out of my white breeches and black coat to go to the hunter ring later in the day. Oh the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Both are good. Have you also thought about a washable jacket? I have the Pikeur Skarlett in this bluey grey colour and it's lovely.

Oh, I LOVE the washable jackets! I work at a tack shop, and have tried on basically every coat in the store LOL and my absolute favorite was one of the Grand Prix washable jackets...gorgeous, fit perfectly, and looked great. If only I wasn't a broke college student...sigh...we can all dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Black is traditional hunt so I'm not seeing why it wouldn't be okay for the hunters - especially w/ rust breeches...

Black is perfectly acceptable for the hunters - my DD showed in a black jacket quite a lot last year. She wore it with both regular tan breeches and rust.

Black has made a comeback recently. It is very common in the hunter ring even at A and AA shows. Both black and navy blue coats are considered equally appropriate even for hunter classics.

Black Jacket with a white shirt is pretty much the ONLY thing you see at A and AA shows. If not black, navy, but with a white shirt also. I like it much better.

The Ariat Trophy Coat apparently has a great fit; it comes very highly recommended. (Arianna Anderocci has mentioned it several times in the Fashion File). If you have a blue coat, I'd go for the black plaid. Variety is the spice of life. AND it's lovely.

Also, not to hijack your thread, you can win a BEAUTIFUL Le Fash show shirt to go with it (retail value: $215). But only until Sunday at midnight...

http://www.getmyfix.org/3803/fixin’-...veaway-week-4/
    getmyfix.org
    Enabling hunter/jumper addicts everywhere.

I love Pikeur jackets but don't consider this coat acceptable for the hunters or eq, with its zippered pockets, its too "jumpery." Do they make more traditional style washable coats?

OP, I think both jackets are very pretty but if you already have a blue then I would go with the black one, just for variety.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I love Pikeur jackets but don't consider this coat acceptable for the hunters or eq, with its zippered pockets, its too "jumpery." Do they make more traditional style washable coats?

OP, I think both jackets are very pretty but if you already have a blue then I would go with the black one, just for variety.
    Actually once you are on a horse you really cannot see the difference between that coat and a GP or Ariat. I wore mine in an eq final last year and looking at the photos, you cannot tell it's not a traditional wool. I just noticed my premium subscription must have lapsed so I can't post a photo unfortunately, but compared to my other show photos you truly cannot tell the difference.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

What color is your horse?

Black is perfectly acceptable in the hunters. You see a lot of it.

However, if you are not sure, why not try a dark charcoal grey with a bright lining?

I have a brown coat, but I'm not sure how to describe the color. It's like it almost has gold in it. All I know is when I wear it (with a peach shirt), I get loads of compliments on it and everyone asks where I got it.

All my horses are bay/brown, BTW.

I agree with another poster, since you already have a blue coat, I'd try a different color to give yourself some variety and an excuse to buy more shirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Actually once you are on a horse you really cannot see the difference between that coat and a GP or Ariat. I wore mine in an eq final last year and looking at the photos, you cannot tell it's not a traditional wool. I just noticed my premium subscription must have lapsed so I can't post a photo unfortunately, but compared to my other show photos you truly cannot tell the difference.
    That's right, I do remember now that you said you have one, I just haven't seen it. Would love to see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That's right, I do remember now that you said you have one, I just haven't seen it. Would love to see a picture.
    I'll email it to you
    -PaulaEdwina

Yep, and actually when I was trying mine on, a hunter judge was in the store and said "get THAT one, it's lovely" I make sure that the vent flap is unzipped and you really cannot tell it's washable. Nicer when it's raining too as you know it won't get ruined!

I have a picture of me in it somewhere will post it!

Here you go, you really cannot tell it's washable (excuse the positions!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	34287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5203785.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	34288  

Yep, and actually when I was trying mine on, a hunter judge was in the store and said "get THAT one, it's lovely" I make sure that the vent flap is unzipped and you really cannot tell it's washable. Nicer when it's raining too as you know it won't get ruined!

I have a picture of me in it somewhere will post it!
    Hmmm, interesting... mine doesn't have a zip vent. I re-upped my premium membership so I could post a pic. Be kind to the poor older adult ammy on the sainted black horse and ignore the fact that I am jumping up his neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New England Finals.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	34289  
    -PaulaEdwina

Hmmm, interesting... mine doesn't have a zip vent. I re-upped my premium membership so I could post a pic. Be kind to the poor older adult ammy on the sainted black horse and ignore the fact that I am jumping up his neck.
    You look fine! Love the jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    You look fine! Love the jacket!
    Aw, thanks. I really do love that coat. It was raining that day and we had to warm up outside; it was so nice to know I hadn't ruined the coat by getting it wet. And as a bonus the thing is sooooo much more comfortable than a traditional wool coat!!
    -PaulaEdwina