The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Small Sexy Rexy Update

So Rex has been down since 5/29 due to a broken lateral splint on his left hind. It has been healing but its just been hurry up and wait. I last had xrays 8/18 where he was 60-70% healed. Dr Adams said to wait 2-3 more months and take more xrays and if it wasnt healed by then, it wouldnt by itself and he would need surgery.

Well its been 3 months (tomorrow exactly) so I had one of the mobile vets come by to take xrays for me (I personally just had surgery 2 wks ago and long road trips arent looking too comfy for some time!). The xray looks great compared to the last set! Obviously this vet had not seen them so wasnt sure what to base it on but when I showed him the xray from Aug, he said that it had healed a LOT.

He asked about it swelling or anything and I told him that Rex has never been lame on this, the only swelling was when I had to wean him off of the standing wrap, and hes never come in with it swollen or stocked up and has palpated negative for the last 4 months.

He said if it was up to him, based on the above and the xray, he would put him back into work. So he is emailing the xrays to my vet in Ocala and I am anxiously awaiting his reply. FINGERS CROSSED!

Here are three shots of the splint to show its healing

4 wks post injury
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7315513_n.jpg

This is 45 days after the last xray, so 2.5 months post injury
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2474542_n.jpg

And this is today, just shy of 6 months post injury and 3 months since the last xray
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...44804620_n.jpg

So start jingling for me and Sexy Rexy please! Im really hoping for good news!

Oh and a pic from last month.. I took him up to our GMOs schooling show to just hang out in the stall and walk around a bit. If you look closely, thats my head you can just see over his back. And Im 5'8. lol
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...24209194_n.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Hurrah!
    thanks for the update & usual fab photos

Hope you're also on schedule & feeling better each day.

Fingers crossed for the go-ahead!!!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Good luck!

Lol, I feel like a stalker, I saw an image of a horse leg x-ray on my FB feed earlier today and I do believe it was yours, lol. Nutty facebook when it shows what people you have on your friends list have commented on

Good luck!!

Good luck! I hope you get the go ahead.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com

Yeah! Jingling like crazy for you---I'll bet you will be excited to get him going again!

Quote Originally Posted by froglander View Post
    Good luck!

Lol, I feel like a stalker, I saw an image of a horse leg x-ray on my FB feed earlier today and I do believe it was yours, lol. Nutty facebook when it shows what people you have on your friends list have commented on
    That's because I commented on it LOL .

I knew a TB mare called Sexy Mexi (by Mexican General) - any relative?
    Rather far away from BC tho.

My old horse had same injury when he was about 8 (on Xmas eve!) with hairline fracture to cannon (fell on washrack). Eight months of hand walking, x-rays every 8 weeks, 5 months rehab. Recovered 100%, no issues. No meds during recuperation or rehab. Horse was 16.2, 2nd gen App/TB cross. Lucky for me, he had (he is now deceased at age 24 in 2010) a WONDERFUL temperament, and when we were given the okay to start rehab, I saddled up and rode him in a halter. The rehab, however, tends to be as frustrating as the recuperation: 15 min. walk, add 5 mins every couple of weeks until up to an hour, then 5 mins trot, etc.

Best of luck! Definitely an injury that most recover from just fine. They did say if healing was incomplete, they could do surgery, but they preferred to let them heal on their own.

Thanks Sandy for posting that. Thats how Rex is. Hes super laid back even for a 4 y/o. On concrete turning to the left 4 wks post injury he was barely a 1.5 lameness and the vet said it would take a very trained eye to detect it. Hes been doing great so far.

Funny yours did it on Xmas eve... Rex did this on Memorial Day eve! LOL

Fox, Rex's registered name is Revolver. He is a GOV Oldenburg by Routinier out of a TB mare. The Sexy Rexy nickname was given to him via TOB as I purchased him from a poster on there and since I got him (at 21 months), Ive posted about him and everyone has followed our journey with us.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

That. Is. Awesome!

You must be so excited!

Two quick stories about rehab lol.

One mare was out for 6 - 8 months and we had to trailer her in her cast to another place... Of course this was a horse kept in a stall and hand walked for months on end so she used the trailer fight to rear and get away from us. Every person on the property including none horsey ones were trying to catch this mare and she did NOT let anyone catch her until she was done.

Luckily I can smile about it now cause even with that messup she healed up and went on to jump for many years after I can still remember us all running all over that HUGE place and I mean HUGE lovely place chasing that HUGE mare, trying everything to catch her as she (tail straight up) pranced her butt off until she was finished and then walking up to us at the trailer like, "Okay now you can load me."

Another mare we had was down six months and she was released to work. My first day I got on her back just to walk her around (she was that kind of horse.... Well usually). We got in the arena and it went... Me: Waaaaaalk Connie, easy girl just walk today. Connie: What was that over there? Me: looks over there.... Connie jumps and does the hugest buck Ive ever felt and I go flying... Like Jordan! Im flying, flying, flyng, and land on my butt where she used to be lol... She ran through the barn and then stopped like, "OH NO! My rider!" then ran back to where I stood dusting off.

That mare never before that or ever again bucked.... But man oh man was it a biggie

Dont scare me! Ive seen the HUGE over the head bucks Rex does in the field and pray he never does that with me!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~