The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Squirrels in the attic and/or walls will shred the insulation on wiring.

The first time our heat pump's auxiliary electric heat comes on in the Fall always produces a burning smell that takes a couple of hours to disperse if the windows are closed.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post

The first time our heat pump's auxiliary electric heat comes on in the Fall always produces a burning smell that takes a couple of hours to disperse if the windows are closed.
    I just had my own burning smell going on and finally found the source, the electronic air filters for the furnace, one had a short and it was in the filter itself, that was smoldering a bit.

Had to turn the furnace off, get the filter out and tomorrow I will get regular filters in town, disconnect the e-filter wiring and turn the furnace back on.

It is going to be a cold night.

I hope the OP found her problem.

we used t have a floor furnace...

YUCK, for the first time, actually couple of days. YUCK

So far no stink, but I have not turned the heater back on.
    Sticking with my electric blanket tonight.
    (Yeah, I know, they ain't safe either!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

We had one of those back in the early '50s and the first thing you did before firing it up was to vacuum the dust off of the top of the firebox. But boy, they were nice to stand over on a cold morning -- as long as you didn't have on sneakers! And a PITA when the oil flow safety switch tripped. Guess who had to crawl under the house to reset it?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Moth in light fixture?

We had one of those back in the early '50s and the first thing you did before firing it up was to vacuum the dust off of the top of the firebox. But boy, they were nice to stand over on a cold morning -- as long as you didn't have on sneakers! And a PITA when the oil flow safety switch tripped. Guess who had to crawl under the house to reset it?

We had gas.

but even with the vacuuming, the first few times it kicked in were nasty.

Well, so far I am inclined to think it is the furnace that was smelling funky.
    I have not turned it back on...it's ok, so far we are in the mid 60s, and I have a heating blanket. (DH can suck it up and put some clothe on over his eternal gym shorts)

I need to go buy a new filter though because before long I will need to turn it on....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Default Could be copper wire burning

We have metal thieves burning copper wire in our area. They burn small amounts for many hours, usually at night. People don't report it because it is so constant and because it doesn't smell like you would expect, like only plastic. Until I started using air purifiers, I only smelled it when I came back in my house after being gone for a few hours. Took me more than a year to figure out what it was. In the daytime, the smell wasn’t outside, only in my house.
    They steal different kinds of cable and wire so the smell can change. Sometimes, it smells like a really dirty oven on self-clean, a dirty hot iron, or like a barbeque grill being burned off after it sat all winter with rancid grease and mold. Other times it is a toxic chemical kind of smell.
    Think about it. The news is full of reports about the massive amounts of metal theft, particularly wire. Where are they burning all that wire? 
In my community, it is in the woods behind a rental trailer, surrounded by subdivisions full of children and families. Because this is their “business”, they have gotten really clever about disguising the burn location (like two older burn barrels as decoys) so even when enforcement is called, they don’t find anything. If you are in a rural area, you are even more likely to have a wire burning site nearby.
    A 6 month old baby in house closest to the burn site has had to have breathing treatments. My cats and I have copper toxicity and I've had damage to my heart and lungs. 4 horses at the therapy stable where I volunteer (mile downwind from here) have developed COPD or other respiratory problems in the past year.
    If you feel unusually fatigued or like you have brain fog when the smell is there, it might be copper wire burning. 
Please report odd burning smells even if you aren't sure what they are or where they are coming from!!! 
There isn't a "they" out there automatically dealing with this. They only investigate when people complain about it.