The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Burned smell I can't locate?

^^ title

been sniffing all through the house trying to find the source of this weird smell, kind of like a well seasoned (not to say dirty) oven and an iron you left on to long.

I turned the heater off, the lights, unplugged things...pulled out the step ladder to check if the ceiling was getting warm...looked under the house to see if the furnace acted up....

one room and I am panicy...don't need to burn the house down just yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I'd call out a service tech to check your heating unit
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default DO NOT IGNORE THIS!!!

Had this happen in my city house!

Check your electrical outlets - if they feel warmer than ambient room temp remove the plate and check your wiring.

We smelled smoke, actually called the FD, who came out, found nothing & left.
    DH was persistent - TG! - he found some old wiring that had been drywalled over in a renovation & it was smoldering.
    It was inside a BR closet and if we had gone with the FD's "don't worry, it's nothing" we probably would have burned the house down with us in bed.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

1 members found this post helpful.

yep- lay a hand on every single switch and outlet in the house. We had this happen about 3-4 years ago. A bad fan switch was melting in the wall.New house, too, built in 2001, wired by DH. It was just a bad switch.

There are some things like rubber cement that do smell like burning, some horse things too but I can't remember which one it is.

It's a little hard to guess though.

Make sure your neighbour's don't have the wood furnace on or something, it could also be a forest fire, check the local news. (Doesn't mean you're in danger, if it's windy it could be a long way off).
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

just got back from the hardware store...bought a few smoke alarms...but forgot the extinguisher...I have a small one in the kitchen though.

I walked around the house, looking to see if smoke was coming out of any crevices...like I said, I checked under, sniffed the wind outside...

I'll keep at it. Not feeling confident leaving the house...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Some of those new CF light bulbs will actually melt when burning out. I had this happen in my barn. Check those light bulbs if you're using them.

The manufacturer I contacted said 1 in 1 million will do this but they use a plastic that evaporates and wont catch your house on fire, so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Some of those new CF light bulbs will actually melt when burning out. I had this happen in my barn. Check those light bulbs if you're using them.

The manufacturer I contacted said 1 in 1 million will do this but they use a plastic that evaporates and wont catch your house on fire, so they say.

HAHAHAHAHA

right.

I'll keep an eye out for those.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Did you feel the outlets and switch plates for heat?

Check any surge protectors for TVs, computers or such. I talked to a man whose house burned down because his surge protector over heated. He said he smelled something but couldn't find the source.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

We had that happen. It was the insulation burning inside of a water heater next to where the wiring entered. This heater had been in service for at least 8 years when it happened.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

The cheapy CF bulbs are not supposed to be used in enclosed light fixtures. I found some CF bulbs with darkened plastic at the tube ends, changing light bulbs. So an idea for you to check.

We are all learning odd things about these newer bulbs the longer we use them. Just NOT the old incandecents we grew up with. We knew the rules with them.

We have had some outlet GFI switches go bad recently. Kept blowing when plugged into use that outlet. Hardware store said they DO AGE OUT, were suprised this one has lasted so long. Usually do not live that long when in constant use with an appliance. He changed the GFI switch, outlet works fine now. I need to have him change some other GFI switches, they are PRETTY old, easy to blow when using them.

Furnace filter been changed recently? Smoke detectors have new batteries and tested very recently? Supposed to put in new batteries and test with time change.

Hope you find the problem. None of our issues had any burning smell.

I am BY NO MEANS saying that this is your problem, but my mom smelled the same thing in the bathroom of our barn last winter. She turned off the lights, the heater, water heater, everything and could still smell it. So she freaked out and called the fire department. Lucky for us three fire engines and an ambulance were there within five minutes only to tell her that a mouse had died in the wall somewhere. They say it happens all the time

She apoloziged profusely for calling but they told her they'd rather come check than have the barn burn down! Gotta love small town fire departments. They've also brought us water when we've lost power for several days.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post

Also there were several floor lamps recalled a few years ago because they overheated - particularly those that had dimmer switches. Several could easily catch fabric, e.g. curtains on fire.

Speaking of which, dimmer switches on a wall also can become hot. If you have a wall dimmer switch for a fixture that seems to be off, make sure it is really off, all the way...

Finally, this place was empty for awhile before we bought it. Mice chewed out the wiring on the electric stove, and they love wiring in the walls, too, including cable wire which we've had to replace.

Good luck! Hope you find it ok!

We had this happen with one of our CF bulbs. I couldn't figure out what was burning. Turned out to be a melting CF in the table lamp next to my computer, which then went out before it did any damage.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

If you have a heat pump then the first time the electrical coils are used the lint burns off and it smells like something burning. And I second changing the furnace filter, just in case.

And the CFL (curly bulbs) bulbs smell like burning wire when they start to burn out.

If you have aluminum wiring, then over time they loosen up, and start pulsing and can catch fire. If your house is old enough to have knob and tube wiring this can catch fire also.

Plug in airfresheners can be fire hazards also. Plus the cheap light timers some people use when they travel. And if the pipes on top of the water heater leak it can stink pretty badly from the water going down between the inner tank, the insulation, and the outer tank.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Check your outlets/ect! If it's a goofy light bulb that's fine but you need to eliminate the things that will burn your house down!

Friend of mine had this-he finally tracked it down to an ARCING wire under his house! His insulation was singed and practically smoldering.

Danger ranger.

You guys are giving me the heebie-jeebies. I'm going to be going around my house touching and sniffing everything (and I don't even smell burning).
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    You guys are giving me the heebie-jeebies. I'm going to be going around my house touching and sniffing everything (and I don't even smell burning).
    Same here
    but then again, I tend to panic whenever *anything* in the house (or barn, or car, or tractor... etc) sounds or smells weird, even if for only a second

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    I am BY NO MEANS saying that this is your problem, but my mom smelled the same thing in the bathroom of our barn last winter. She turned off the lights, the heater, water heater, everything and could still smell it. So she freaked out and called the fire department. Lucky for us three fire engines and an ambulance were there within five minutes only to tell her that a mouse had died in the wall somewhere. They say it happens all the time

She apoloziged profusely for calling but they told her they'd rather come check than have the barn burn down! Gotta love small town fire departments. They've also brought us water when we've lost power for several days.
    ROFLMAO!!!!
    that made my day!
    sadly - or luckily it's not the same smell...cats keep stashing their kills for me to find....

The smell went away. I am still not sure what it was/is. I have turned the heater off - and tonight will be cold....I think I need to get a dog...

I'll be on the lookout though.
    Really strange, it was only in the one room.

or did the squirrels in the attic have a cigar party?
    GNU Terry Prachett