The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where are all of the lease ponies?

I have been looking for a pony to lease for one of my S.S. kids. I didn't think that it was going to be this difficult but there doesn't seem to be many out there. I've tried dreamhorse, bigeq, equine, horsetopia, equinenow , local equine papers and word of mouth.

Can you all think of any place else? I didn't think it would be that difficult to find a med SS pony.

Any suggestions?

Does it have to be a lease or might they buy? Bernadette Thomson was telling me about a nice medium pony back in September. She was selling it but with winter upon us she may lease it. I know she does lease them out sometimes. Just a thought. She is a good one to contact for ponies.

A friend also has a great pony that took her rider from short stirrup on up. They're selling that one though.

Most are not advertised for lease on these sites (other then a few listed as sale or lease).
    Call your local Hunter trainers and ask them-it's word of mouth on the good ones.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Yeah it would have to be a lease. These are 1st time horse parents and the dad has a friend who's kids ride and he has been telling him to lease. He's got a point.

My DD's old pony is up for lease again. He was champion many times in SS at WEF and was reserve at the Hampton Classic this past year. He is a saint and will make any kid look like a star. He's spendy, though but if they have a budget I can send you the link for him.

I don't own him anymore, so can't help in any way other than providing the link....

where are you located? we have a couple ss ponies, both mediums that are for sale, perhaps they's lease. I have had no trouble finding them though...

I'm in Downingtown, PA. VA isn't too far away.

Rumours, that website has been disabled
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Yes findeight, I just look at the sale ponies and ask if they will lease. Most of them say yes, but normally I was finding the lease fee to be almost 50% of the sales price.

Not sure if you are on Facebook but a lot of quality ponies are being marketed on this FB Page now. In case the link doesn't work, it's a group called "Just Ponies - for lease or sale", if you do a Facebook search it should come up and you can just ask to join. Might be worth a look:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/208317292557107/

That reminds me - my daughter tells me about a facebook group called Junior Rider News. Many of the posters on there are local to us. Many of them list ponies for sale but leasing could be an option too. I think it is a closed group but you should be able to get on easily. The kid that started it was handing out cards at a recent show at Radnor.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will check out the fb pages.

A bit of an update - kids dad sent me a text asking for ALL of the foreseeable expenses for the next year. This can't be good. Newbies...

YIKES, you are doomed. Hope he has deep pockets and understands that horseshowing can cost $$$$'s.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

you have a pm

I had a medium SS pony for lease that just came home from PA! Darn. If you don't mind the drive, consider looking in Canada: all I've got is people asking either if I know of anything for lease or if I know of anyone looking for a lease. The sale market here hasn't picked up a whole lot but there's lots of leasing going on.

There's also a facebook group called "Just Ponies" that's solely for ponies for sale/lease.

PM sent !

Sent a PM as well
    Don't spur a willing horse - Anon.

Most of my ponies are for sale but many of the clients will consider a lease. Please take a look at our site and let me know if I can help! Good luck in your search.

I know of a 9yo, 13.1 1/2H packer for lease - cheap because the owner is at college, but doesn't want to sell the pony yet. Pony did Pony Finals in the Green Meds this year and finished something like 32nd. Loads, clips, ties, bathes, and wins in Pony Pleasure. Neat pony. Solid bay with no white. This is NOT my pony, but belongs to a friend. Located in Charlestown, WV.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Talking Hi I have a few, including an especially wonderful medium

Hi look under you tube at, derbyjumper ,one word, See Shenandoah Love Story! Then pm me for info if you like. Also Olivia Golden is rather close and often has not only high end but ss types . And Amber Hill . Although they are top notch Elizabeth also has some of that type.