The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not trying to be a leather snob, but hubby has okayed this saddle purchase as being my Christmas present so I'd like to get something in leather

I have a Black Country Wexford.... love it... I've jumped up to 2'9" stadium and about 2'3" XC in it and I do BN dressage in it. So comfortable... LOVE it.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Thanks for that, VCT, Black County is one of the brands I will be looking at. Will be interesting to see what fits my little horse (he's all of 15 hands).

Could never understand the snobbery directed at general purpose saddles here. That is all I had growing up in England, and still managed showjumping, hunter trials, etc. I now work in a tack shop here and am constantly asked for a close contact/jumping saddle because "I may want to jump one day". The fact is a gp/ap saddle will give you a better leg position on the flat and over fences especially when you are starting out.

And I love Black Country saddles, highly recommended. We have two, of course I don't get to ride in them much because the kids have them. My daughter rides in a Ricochet. You couldn't get a more secure seat (sticky shrumpf seat and vintage flaps with big blocks) it has saved me more than once on a gentleman of horse who likes the ladies to go first over jumps! It rides more like a jump saddle. The Wexford, I believe is more GP, on my wish list but in the meantime I am happy with my AP Wintec!

The Wexford is definitely more General Purpose... but I think it would really be fine for definitely up through N, maybe T. It is VERY secure and comfortable. It feels so effortless to ride in. And it feels very close contact. I can shorten my stirrups up quite a lot for jumping, and lengthen for dressage and both ways feels great.

The jump heights I put earlier are due to my own level of late, not the saddle of course.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I recently bought a Bates Caprilli All-Purpose used off ebay, and I LOVE IT. The only downside is that I have a super long femur, so it will not be as great for jumping. The seat is lovely. I feel very secure in it, and my horse has actually been willing to move. I think he really likes the Cair paneling more than I thought would make a difference.
    Last edited by lovehors86; Nov. 18, 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Froglander! There' s nice Alpina (I think Crosby makes it) at Spectrum Saddle Shop in Coconut Creek. I found right AFTER I ordered my Stubben. $600 and in very good condition (if it is still there). You should take it on trial and show it to your fitter b/c it has wool panels that can be stuffed to fit your guy. If I had an extra $600 lying around I would already have it.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Hi: Allpurpose weighing in...

Love, love, love my Albion G/P, which allows me to putter around the fields, woods and streams, jump small stuff that gets in my way, and do dressage in the indoor when the weather won't allow puttering in the fields and trail riding.

I agree - one saddle, less hassle, perfect for me, allpurpose!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

For a nice all purpose at a lower price point, the Collegiate Senior Event. I rode in one for a couple of years and liked it very much. There are usually a few on ebay. Mine had the nicest leather, nicer than my present cc.
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

I'll third the County Eventer. I foxhunted in mine for years (it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned) and evented in it up to training (the seat is too deep for big drops). I dearly love that saddle and would highly recommend it. Too bad it doesn't fit my current horse!

Thanks CBudFroggy, I wish I'd had more time yesterday as I'd wanted to stop there in my tack shop loop, but they were closed by the time I got there I'll have to see if they still have it and what size it is. (And I googled Alpina and it's made by Courbette if you were wondering )

Really hoping to find something with shoulder/wither gussets as the Albion GP I got to try on my horse sat so nicely on him and I wasn't stressing about the saddle bumping him on the sides of his withers.

So glad to hear many people appreciate the All Purpose saddle The most I would /ever/ do is Novice, and mostly flatwork, so I'm hoping I will find something that fits the bill

Black Country also does the wither gussets. Look at Trumbull Mountain's online inventory. I know they had some very nice Quantums with gussets, but the Quantum might be more forward than you are looking for.

Thumbs down

It's not too far from my office. I'll check on it this week for you.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique

Oh cool, thanks!

I used to event novice, do training level tests, and show hunters with an Albion Style AP. You can do everything w/o having to change saddles. Not a heavy saddle at all, though leather always weighs more than synthetic.

The Alpina is still there. I was toying with the idea of buying it and flipping it, but I don't have the extra cash this month. All my money is slipping down a black hole somewhere...
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique