The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default x-posted: what farm to visit during Rolex?

My friends and I make our annual pilgramage to Lexington every year and last year I tried to schedule a tour but it was too late by the time I looked into it. I know a lot of farms do not offer public visits/tours during breeding season, and seeing how the last weekend of April is during breeding season I know my options may be limited. I really wanted to visit Lane's End and meet Zenyatta but that is not an option. Can anyone recommend a farm that offers public tours? Would like to see some big names (who doesn't). Thanks in advance!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Ooh! Great thread
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Claiborne. Dell Hancock is a gem, she's in charge. The place is drop dead gorgeous.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Three Chimneys has always been one of my favorites. I was fortunate enough to get to meet Seattle Slew there when I first moved to Lexington
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I did Gainsway last year, it was amazing, the hostess couldn't of been better, she answered every question and more.

Ditto on Three Chimneys. They used to allow you to visit the breeding shed when they were breeding. You do need to call them a bit ahead (a day or 2 at least) to find out when they are breeding and if there are enough "openings". They don't want a bunch of people all there at one breeding.

I too have been there while Slew, and Slew Again, were there. I got to see SS breed (he was a real a**hole). On the next visit it was after breeding season but they were kind enough to get each stallion out for us to see. My SO was "lucky" enough to be bitten by Slew. :-) The really funny thing was that year we were watching one of the Pre-Derby shows and William Shatner was the host. He was talking about various stallions, including Slew. And said that he had visited the farm a few days before (we missed him by a few days!!) and he got bitten by Slew as well. ;-)

It is a gorgous farm, as are all of them. And best I know of is/was the only one with an open breeding shed.

If I get in touch with my friend in Lexington who knows all things horsy there (she used to run the educational program at THP, amongst other things) I will see if she has any other suggestions.

Oh, if you have not been to Keenland, you absolutely positively have to go. It is BEAUTIFUL. And the back side is open so you can wander thru the beautiful barns, etc. And the track kitchen has really good food. They used to have a Sunday brunch to absolutely die for. Customers ranged from hot walkers to well to do owners!!

Old Friends does tours.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeHowSheRuns View Post
    Old Friends does tours.
    We recently went there. It's different that it's for retired stallions. I believe Gulch is there!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

A little bit of a drive - 45 minutes? is Churchill Downs. The museum there is well worth the trek. Lots of information and interactional displays.

The staff at Adena Springs is great. Not sure if you can go during breeding season, you'll have to check, but they could not have been more friendly and informative when we went a couple of years ago. I think they get less of the 'pretty pony' visitors than some of the farms with really popular stallions so they're not as mechanical about the visits. It's too bad that El Prado is gone because he was fun to visit and they obviously adored him.

I went to Winstar, Ashford (Coolmore) and one other, whose name I can't remember, they were all gorgeous. It was a private tour, and we also got to see a breeding, and they brought out many of the stallions, I was even allowed to pet several of them, including my favorite, Tiznow, as well as Fusaichi (sp?) Pegasus, and saw Skip Away get a chiro adjustment, it was a wonderful experience. Much as I love Rolex, especially the cross country, I think I enjoyed the farm visits just as much.

I just remembered, Hopewell was the third farm we visited, I would recommend any of these.
    Last edited by BAC; Nov. 23, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

It's been a while, but I much preferred WinStar to Three Chimneys when I visited both. The groom at WinStar was super-friendly and kind, let us get right up close and personal with Tiznow -- very welcoming low-key environment. Three Chimneys was much more big-tour-group formal -- not a bad experience, but much less horse-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucked_Away View Post
    The groom at WinStar was super-friendly and kind, let us get right up close and personal with Tiznow -- very welcoming low-key environment.
    I guess Tiznow moved? He was at Ashford when I saw him but that was 5 or 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I went to Winstar, Ashford (Coolmore) and one other, whose name I can't remember, they were all gorgeous. It was a private tour, and we also got to see a breeding, and they brought out many of the stallions, I was even allowed to pet several of them, including my favorite, Tiznow, as well as Fusaichi (sp?) Pegasus, and saw Skip Away get a chiro adjustment, it was a wonderful experience. Much as I love Rolex, especially the cross country, I think I enjoyed the farm visits just as much.

I just remembered, Hopewell was the third farm we visited, I would recommend any of these.
    Ah yes, Hopewell!! I would LOVE to see Skip Away in the flesh. I have one scheduled at Three Chimneys but maybe I will try to fit in Hopewell, too.

www.useaiv.org

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsal85 View Post
    Ah yes, Hopewell!! I would LOVE to see Skip Away in the flesh. I have one scheduled at Three Chimneys but maybe I will try to fit in Hopewell, too.
    Too late for Skip Away, he passed away in 2010 I believe.

Too late for Skip Away, he passed away in 2010 I believe.
    No way!! wow I am not keeping up too well with my racing news. Sad

www.useaiv.org

Yeah, I just checked, a suspected heart attack in his paddock in May 2010. At least it was quick. He was an exciting horse to watch.

I guess Tiznow moved? He was at Ashford when I saw him but that was 5 or 6 years ago.
    He was at Winstar in...gosh, would have been November of 2004. I fed him peppermints. Couldn't say whether he's been moved around at all since then, but he's still listed on the Winstar site and a quick Google doesn't turn up any references to him residing at Ashford (although it looks like they did have his dam).

Love Claiborne.....farm chock full of history!

Three Chimneys is great as well. Last time I went there, I was able to see Dynaformer (in his stall, with the bent metal screen door). He is quite the handful to say the least so he is not generally shown to the public.

Not sure if Hopewell is offering tours. Last I checked it was up for sale.