The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage stallion for TB mare

I am not as familiar with warmblood lines, I have bred only thoroughbreds in the past. I want to breed my mare to a dressage stallion. I would like something that is 16.2H or larger. Stud fee $1500-2000. I am looking for a nice stallion with good commercial value. I am thinking Oldenburg or Hanoverian.

The mare is a black 16.2H Jockey club mare. She is not approved yet. Nice mare to ride. Recently off the track but is in training. She has a nice dressage type trot. She doesn't need much improvement in the conformation department, but a stallion with a strong hind end is a must, and something with a good trot.

Any good recommendations? I love the Sandro Hit line, but I don't know that I should go with frozen the first time for her.

I'm no breeder, but watch the video in this section of Don Principe at Equine Affaire. Talented stallion, has obviously made it to Grand Prix successfully, and well bred.

Lovely filly Camohn. Thanks for the message.

Before narrowing it down, you need to decide on a registry. Some will require that they inspect the mare and the foal. Some don't. So research inspections within a reasonable driving distance for hauling a mare and foal.

Agree. You really need to get her approved and then shop for stallions based on registry.

Also, if it were me, I would want to see what she can do herself before breeding her. That way you can really determine her weaknesses.

I will say that one stallion that I have seen almost universally improve the mare is Fabuleux.

There are US based Sandro Hit sons. I can think of a few off the top of my head: Shakespeare, Sinatra Song, Soprano, Sonntagskind, Schroeder...

I'd go KWPN with Idocus. I bred a First Premium TB mare (back in the day when they inspected TBs) to Idocus and got a quality colt. He was more of a hunter type than dressage but that can be the case when using TB mares. He sold easily and was resold later for a lot of money.

My best dressage mover out of a TB mare was by Batido ... with a gelding an AHS Certificate of Pedigree was sufficient.

So registration possibilities are key.

We got 15.3 from a 17 plus hand Hanoverian mare using Idocus. He did not add height. How tall is he (?), as I have seen him show several times and felt he is @ 16 hands himself.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

The Swedish registry is very easy for tb mare owners to work with and the Swedish stallion amorex has several nice tb mare crosses at a reasonable fee. Idocus is a good suggestion and his son, Olivier might also be an option. If you are open to frozen and a fair amount of knee, you might want to look at chequille. For strength in back, the sandros' might not be your first choice. Looking at some of the donnerhall and weltmeyer options might suit better for what you seem to want, but they might not be as modern as you want. If you want the more elegant, fluid trot, Romanov is lovely and has an approved stallion son standing at blue hors from a tb mare.

Idocus is 16.3H. Yes, I have seen him in person.

As an aside, I wouldn't cross a TB w/Sandro Hit b/c he tends towards "hotness".
    “At first everything is hard, next it becomes easier, then habitual, and only now does it have a chance to become beautiful. George H. Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Dressagelvr View Post
    That is simply not true. I know of many, many Sandro Hit offspring, and none of them are hot.

Another suggestion: Dressage Daily has a stallion breeding section; might be worth looking through that and perhaps even contacting some owners so get a feel for cross w/ tb mare.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dressagelvr View Post
    Ive heard the same.

The ones Ive seen were refined and very ... Alert?

http://www.oldenburghorse.com/book/stallionlist11.htm

I'd check out Olivier before he and Liz go to Europe to train. Oliver is approved both GOV and KWPN NA.

Royal Prince would be the first one who comes to mind. As does Donnerwiess and Bugattie.

You have a PM

I love swedes and particularly Amorex who seems to cross well with TB mares. My ideal horse is 1/2 TB so my take on it all may be a bit different as I am not a breeder, who tend to view a F1 cross as a means to an end not a riding horse.

If you are breeding for yourself I would look at him... If you are breeding to resell as a dressage horse I would rethink your goal and try to breed a hunter, and then I woild look at WB hunter sires and pray for a colt. JMO.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Do you think that hunter foals sell easier then dressage?

I was told before on this forum to get the mare approved when I presented the foal for inspections. Is that not a good idea now? I was told there was no point in taking the mare twice when I could do it once with the foal at her side.

What about For Pleasure? I can't seem to find much on him, but I like what I see.