The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree analysis needed for TB yearling filly

I adopted this filly from Neighsavers http://www.pedigreequery.com/cubas+sofia. She was acquired along with her dam at a breeder dispersal sale in an effort to save her from killer buyers. She is a pretty mover with a big step. What can the TB experts tell me about her pedigree? I will have her trained for both dressage and jumping when the time comes.

Well my first look was to be kind of negative as there are issues with Mr Prospector and then double close Northern Dancer. But the rest of the pedigree is pretty good. It is a pedigree that is interesting for a few reasons. The close Northern Dancerx2 and then Gold Digger close x2 and that brings Nashua x3 Nashua is a pretty sturdy horse in a pedigree. Gold Digger is actually pretty well bred for sport. I like Prime Time very much. and Eight Thirty is very good in sport. HolmGirl is very nice as well with her double Roman another tough horse. Baron O Dublin looks good and Awestruck the same. I wouldn't worry about this pedigree I would just get down to the quality care and training that REALLY makes a difference for a successful young horse. Good Luck PatO

Not a standout on paper....more important that you already know she is a nice mover for the horse in front of you. Pretty mcuh what Columbus said: Mr. P is too close up for my taste and I don't know much (good or bad) about that particular son of his....Half Term He didn't make very many starts (7) so didn't prove he was a sound horse with numerous starts at the track. Nashua was a nice sturdy horse that throws a good jump so that is a good linebreed. I'm not big on linebred Northern D personally. Eight Thirty is very nice to see. I have seen Irish Ruler pop up in sporthorse pedigrees. With the triple Nashua and double Native Dancer I would expect more of a hunter/jumper type as long as the phenotype does not look like Mr. P or Northern Dancer.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I rather like the double to Gold Digger. It's a very interesting way to have gone with the ND/Mr. P X that was so very, very prevalent. Agree with Columbus on everything and Camohn, too. I will admit that at first the pedigree just looked like a typical fashion bred. But your girl could be exceptional with that pedigree. Or not. Someone clearly tried to limit the odds of OR NOT when the breeding was planned. Sequence has an absolutely droolworthy pedigree.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire