The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Don Alfredo vs Aprio?

k all you DA and Apiro baby owners? How do they measure up
    especially as far as:
    1. height
    2. bone size
    3. size of canter step
    4. temperment

I have not had any Apiros but have a VERY fancy 2011 DA colt that I wish each and every day was a filly so I could keep him. He is out of a 16.3H big boned mare. Right now he's one of the shorter foals and he's a tank. I expect he'll mature 16.1+ and be bigger boned. I absolutely positively LOVE his canter- it's big and lopey and hands down the best canter I've produced thus far. He also has a very fancy trot FWIW. He has an amateur friendly temperament.

Most recent photos. Taken at 4 months old. He's the chestnut:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=b44e00d6aa

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDboFUgNOng

he is so cute, love him. Fantastic trot and canter!!!

One other thing to consider is the age of the two stallions. Isn't Don Alfredo getting up there in years? If you want to breed to him, it is something to consider...

NHF--Lovely colt.

I haven't seen a DA foal in person, but I have seen an Apiro foal (and many online). As has been stated before, I would not cross Apiro on a heavier mare, he added substance to my friend's TB mare. Her foal is an improvement on the dam, (he seems to stamp his get) and is very quiet/easy (not that what a foal is like necessarily equals what the horse will be under saddle, but still...).

Baby is going to be bigger than the dam.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I had a NICE Don Alfredo mare that I sold this past spring. She was a very big bodied 16.2, BIG bone, nice BIG feet, huge step at the canter. She did have some temperament issues, not the easiest horse to ride, but you just had to be FIRM with her and she would respect you, otherwise she would take advantage of you! She had had only dressage training prior to me getting her and we started her over fences. She is now showing in jumpers with her ammie, very good rider and doing fabulous, absolutely STELLAR jumping form! Can see her on my website on the "sold Horses" page, name is Dona Luvena, 3rd horse down on that page

Check with Signature-she has had both and will give you a good comparison
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Thanks !

Oddly enough we've had a DA and Apiro foal out of the same mare in back to back years, so this is a very good comparison. Pictures can be seen on our website. The mare, an elder Trakehner/TB with a very modern type and doll face, is THE hack winner so both foals moved extremely well. We also had another Apiro foal out of a TB m.

The 2010 DA filly was a freak mover, but in that pony-ish short of way, not too terribly elastic or powerful with a medium step, but would fool you because it was so fancy and will still be the winner most anywhere. DA seems to be very prepotent for putting on the super flat kneed, extreme daisy cutter type trot and straight legged canter but maybe not the biggest step in the world. This could be due to so many TB crosses, though, not sure. So while most of the mechanics normally comes from the mare, the DA's seem to all move very much like him. What I have noticed in researching offspring is that he is consistent with the head (a pretty but not dollish head) and the neck is just so-so. The disposition was very good, a little sassy/bossy, but she is a filly after all. Otherwise easy to work with! The new owner has made free jumping footage and she jumps a 10 for sure. The mare jumped with scope, but not as much form as the filly has, so I would say there was an improvement there.

The 2009 Apiro foal was a bit leggier, going to be taller, and had a better neck (longer with more shape, cleaner throat) and a little prettier face. The mare likes to put on her bit of straight shoulder, so both offspring showed it but I'd say it was a bit straighter in the Apiro colt. He was a much bigger mover, a bit more action (but very attractive) but also a lot more power and size of step. He was aloof and more sensitive at first but then became very quiet (mare is "super mom" so this can be her doing). He has been started now and they said he was basically very good. Apparently now he is an extremely good mover as well and seems quite athletic. Pictures we have seen show he is very fancy and modern. We've not seen jumping footage of any kind yet, though.

Both stallions seem to cross very well on TB or lighter mares. I would not put either to a heavy mare. From what I have seen of both stallions and our own experiments, if you want an athlete and mare needs some bone and size and improvement in topline - Apiro. If you have a medium size or larger but still lighter mare that needs bone but not length of leg or modernization, needs flatter movement, DA.

We'd like to repeat both breedings honestly, but sadly the mare is 22 this coming year so we probably won't get the chance.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I had an Apiro from a very fancy moving mare, half-TB dam.

My mare was from an A-line sire so she was prettier than pretty. The colt was extremely good looking, Apiro did add more knee to his dam's movement, but still an excellent movement for hunters.

He lightened up the forehand, which I wanted on the mare, improved the neck set, which didn't need much improvement though.

My colt will be BIG. Tall, big boned...

I have lots of pictures and videos on this page:

http://www.equusmagnificus.ca/acero-e-m.html

Signature, thanks for taking the time to share that. That seems to be the theme Im hearing. That makes it a hard decision

No problemo! I hope it helps, just my opinion... just look at lots of offspring and watch the dams if you can to see what is reliably getting passed. It's hard because DA has SOOOO many offspring that have gone through the show ring, whereas Apiro is much younger (DA is 1987 if I recall) and so he's just starting out to establish himself, and the babies in the US at least are just hitting the performance divisions. They both seem to be pretty consistent at producing, while each a bit different, which is of substantial value!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

North Hill--- Your Don Alfredo is stunning! I too can understand how badly you wanted him to be a her! He will make someone very lucky :-)
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.