The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Colleges with great riding programs?

Hi all!

I am looking for colleges with great academics first and foremost, but also good riding programs. Any experiences, thoughts, recommendations? I am primarily looking at Hollins and Sweet Briar right now, but have heard some pretty scary things about the former. I am hoping to go to law school, so academic rigor is a must. I am not looking to fly through college with A's because the academics are awful...
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Almost every school has a riding team, depends how competitive you want to be with your riding. Hollins and Sweet Briar are great schools, also in Virginia are Virginia Intermont and Bridgewater. Centenary College in NJ is great and so is University of Findlay. College of Charleston I also recommend. I am looking at, as well, St. Andrews, Berry College, Randolph College, Murray State University, and Midway College. Hope I helped!

Mount Holyoke

Quote Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post
    Mount Holyoke
    Did you go there?

Quote Originally Posted by catosis View Post
    Did you go there?
    No, but I know some people who did and I've been to quite a few shows there. Great riding program/facilities and great academics.

Quote Originally Posted by hannahpony9 View Post
    Almost every school has a riding team, depends how competitive you want to be with your riding. Hollins and Sweet Briar are great schools, also in Virginia are Virginia Intermont and Bridgewater. Centenary College in NJ is great and so is University of Findlay. College of Charleston I also recommend. I am looking at, as well, St. Andrews, Berry College, Randolph College, Murray State University, and Midway College. Hope I helped!
    If you want GOOD academics that will mean something in the real world, stay away from Murray and Midway.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I went to Bridgewater for my freshman year. I would highly recommend the the riding team but not the school its self. Sweet Briar, Hollins, and UVA all have very good programs. Mount Hollyoke is a very good recommendation. I know several people who went there any really enjoyed it.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Sweet Briar alumna here... Class of 2004. I'd highly recommend it.

The academics are solid at SBC. My education has served me well and my degree from Sweet Briar has garnered me positions at several major academic institutions, including University of Pennsylvania and Vanderbilt University.

The upper echelon of riding at SBC (aka the 'A' Show Team) is extremely competitive, but there are opportunities for everyone and quality instruction for all.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! I'd be more than happy to share my insight. And for what it's worth, I was also accepted to Hollins with a full scholarship and chose Sweet Briar instead. So I'm familiar with both.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    If you want GOOD academics that will mean something in the real world, stay away from Murray and Midway.
    Don't know anything about Murray, ditto on Midway no bang for your buck, classes are mediocre at best. How about Skidmore?

If I were you OP, I would be asking prospective colleges about their law school placement rates and to what law schools their graduates were accepted. Then look at the riding program. I assume riding is a hobby? And law school and your career the rest of your life.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

University of Delaware has a very solid intercol team and very good acedemics
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

You should also be asking what colleges would be interested in you as a student? Grades, SATs, APs, SAT IIs, etc.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hollins alumnae here. (Class of 2011).

Can't say enough good things about the academics - my Profs were all fantastic and the classes were great. They really knew you. I applied and got into all my grad schools and with speaking to other grad students who went to other universities I realize how lucky I was.

The professors are great, academics are top notch, our library is FANTASTIC, great internship opportunities. Very good financial aid.

And the riding program? I cannot say enough good things about it. The barn is fantastic (and a 5 minute walk from the dorms), the Instructors are excellent and the horses are the best quality you will ever hope to find in a riding program.

(I miss the Hollins horses so so much. If anyone on COTH is currently at Hollins give Tres Coronas and Bella and Kevin and extra pat for me - hugs to Miss Mattie and Garfield the barn kitties too).

Definitely keep Hollins in mind

Though the college itself is small (Sweet Briar is smaller in population) so if you are the type of person who needs to get away I highly recommend bringing a car. There is stuff to do though don't let the small size fool you.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Thanks, all! I think Hollins is my first choice right about now, and I know they have excellent placement stats for law school. My SAT is respectable, but my ACT is even better. I am currently enrolled in the IB Diploma program (actually, because it is international I should say programme) at my school, so really I could go anywhere I wanted to in the world (literally!), but I want the best of both an equestrian-oriented school and a high academic standard.

My daughter is about to graduate from Hollins (early!!). She has loved the riding program, but it's all the other things that have made it such a great fit for her. Hollins has really allowed her to do things she never would have had the opportunity to if she had been at a larger school.
    Seriously, she's putting her resume together now and ran it by a friend who is well-placed in her field of choice. He was totally impressed with the stuff she's done.
    I've been amazed at what she's done and how she's matured during her time at Hollins.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by catosis View Post
    Thanks, all! I think Hollins is my first choice right about now, and I know they have excellent placement stats for law school. My SAT is respectable, but my ACT is even better. I am currently enrolled in the IB Diploma program (actually, because it is international I should say programme) at my school, so really I could go anywhere I wanted to in the world (literally!), but I want the best of both an equestrian-oriented school and a high academic standard.
    Yep if you're going to law school Hollins will place you well. Good friend of mine ended up going to UVA but also applied and got into Duke and several others (History/International Studies double-major).

If you do go to Hollins make sure to take a class with Professor Ra (PoliSci) he's also the pre-law advisor. Ra is the Professor every student wishes they could have and those that do are so lucky to have had him. Kindest, most wonderful human being and he's forgotten more in his life than I will ever know. It's going to be a sad, sad, sad day when Ra leaves Hollins. He's an institution and for law advising you can't find better.

Also if you are interested in study abroad AT ALL Hollins has great programs I highly, highly advise studying abroad.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I went to Johnson and Wales in providence RI. they have an a.s and a b.s within the business school. They focus on jumping and dressage have a great facility and great horses. You have a lot of hands on time and a lot of riding, more then most!

Good luck in your search!

Have you considered any schools that have varsity equestrian teams? Many of these programs have come a long way over the past few years and also offer scholarships. These schools also have great academic programs and lots to offer. Just a thought.

Baylor University

I went there and they have a good riding team and GREAT academics, they even have a law school.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-...uest-body.html
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

Just wanted to say kudos to you for putting academics first. A lot of kids your age don't do that. Go to class, take good notes, and don't start studying the morning of an exam If I would have taken my advice the first time around, I would have been done school a long time ago!! Horses are a great way to keep sane when the stress of school starts to get to you!

Also have to give a plug for University of Delaware. I was on the ihsa team for half a semester but quit because of the age gap. The members rank from super beginners to experienced open riders. Everyone pitches in, they do fundraisers, formals and other stuff. It's a great way to make friends at school, especially with similar interests. Depending on what you do, non-showing, B team or try out for A team, they can be some what flexible with how much time you dedicate. They are also mindful of how important academics are. After all, if you get crappy grades, you can't be on a club team!

pm me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Kudos for having your head screwed on straight! That's a rarity these days.

However, regardless of the institution you chose, select your major carefully. We're in a rapidly changing economy, and many graduates are finding that the skills they learned are no longer marketable.

The various business and financial resources websites (Kiplinger, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Investor's Business Daily, Barron's, etc.) will have information to aid you in your selection.
    Last edited by Frank B; Nov. 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams