The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone sharpen Lister Blades?

Just wondering if anybody else has ever sent in Lister by Whal clipper blades to be sharpened and if they find they do not sharpen well?

My barn has sent in 10 blades twice to a blade sharpener and both times they have all come back not sharp enough to use. We are trying to determine if this is our blade sharpener (we've never had issues before) or the brand of blades.

Edited: to change title!
    Last edited by eclipse; Nov. 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Bumping because I'm interested, as well. Having just spent $100 buying two new sets of clipper blades for my Lister Stars, I would like to know if they can be sharpened successfully.

OP, maybe put the brand name in the title. "Anyone Sharpen Lister blades?"

Default Lister blade sharpening

Hello, We at Appliance Sales and Service have been sharpening blades since 1969. We are a service center for Andis / Oster and parts for Wahl. We are family owned and operated. We service a lot of the south east. WE ARE THE ONLY SERVICE CENTER FOR ANDIS AND OSTER IN SOUTH CAROLINA. Give us a try we stand behind our work. We also sharpen Scissors and repair clippers.

Appliance Sales and Service
    2608 Main St. Columbia, SC 29201
    1-800-355-9054

Quote Originally Posted by Andis/Oster Service Center View Post
    Hello, We at Appliance Sales and Service have been sharpening blades since 1969. We are a service center for Andis / Oster and parts for Wahl. We are family owned and operated. We service a lot of the south east. WE ARE THE ONLY SERVICE CENTER FOR ANDIS AND OSTER IN SOUTH CAROLINA. Give us a try we stand behind our work. We also sharpen Scissors and repair clippers.

Appliance Sales and Service
    2608 Main St. Columbia, SC 29201
    1-800-355-9054
    What do you charge to sharpen blades for the Lister Star clippers? Shipping?

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I too have had a problem with blades not sharpening. The big Oster body clipper blades sharpen but oddly, the little ones don't sharpen. I have SCADS of them - I just keep buying new ones - because I never believe they sharpen.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I highly recommend Jeff at Northern Tails Sharpening. Give him a call and ask about the Lister blades. http://northerntails.com/

My Lister blades sharpen just fine - I've had both my fine and surgical blades sharpened 2-3 times each with no problems.

Are you using one pair of clippers? Or do you try it on multiple clippers? Have you tried other blade brands?

If you are using one pair of clippers it may not be the blades, you may need a new blade drive (small piece that moves the blade) this piece is only a couple dollars and you can fix it yourself with a screwdriver.

If you are using multiple clippers and they don't work on any of them you may have a bad sharpener. Some sharpeners really don't do a good job. Some do really good scissors but not blades or vise versa. One other option, which is unlikely if it involves all of them, is the the blades may be loose. On the part of the blade that is hidden when on the clippers there are 2 pieces that sort of stick out, you can try squeezing those slightly closer together.

'clipse - where did you guys take them in?
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

eclipse is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Are you using one pair of clippers? Or do you try it on multiple clippers? Have you tried other blade brands?

If you are using one pair of clippers it may not be the blades, you may need a new blade drive (small piece that moves the blade) this piece is only a couple dollars and you can fix it yourself with a screwdriver.

If you are using multiple clippers and they don't work on any of them you may have a bad sharpener. Some sharpeners really don't do a good job. Some do really good scissors but not blades or vise versa. One other option, which is unlikely if it involves all of them, is the the blades may be loose. On the part of the blade that is hidden when on the clippers there are 2 pieces that sort of stick out, you can try squeezing those slightly closer together.
    Thanks muchly They are using 2 clippers so I'll pass on the info about the drive!

eclipse is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    'clipse - where did you guys take them in?
    Finding out for you, all I know is his name and he's been doing them for us for a while! (Peter)

I've never had problems with any of the blades I've sent out.. Maybe it is your sharpener then. Lol. Some clipper blade sharpeners have very basic equipment, and are not really as skilled as they like to say they are. I've used the same company for years, and they've been around since 1990. They have a new site now, so check them out: www.becksblades.com

I saw someone asked about prices, and shipping and stuff. These guys charge only $5.00 per clipper blade (set) if it's small, and $6.00 for the large ones. They also give discounts for larger orders. Shipping is a flat rate of $10.00 I think, but sometimes I get free shipping, cos I send often. Lol.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRaven View Post
    I've never had problems with any of the blades I've sent out.. Maybe it is your sharpener then. Lol. Some clipper blade sharpeners have very basic equipment, and are not really as skilled as they like to say they are. I've used the same company for years, and they've been around since 1990. They have a new site now, so check them out: www.becksblades.com

I saw someone asked about prices, and shipping and stuff. These guys charge only $5.00 per clipper blade (set) if it's small, and $6.00 for the large ones. They also give discounts for larger orders. Shipping is a flat rate of $10.00 I think, but sometimes I get free shipping, cos I send often. Lol.

Good luck!
    Did anyone ever find additional options?

I Googled today, as I have 4 sets of blades that need to be sharpened. (Yes, that's about $200 worth!) I was sent to the Lister site - http://www.lister-shearing.com/sales...sharpening.php - but as I don't want to pay shipping to the UK (or UK sharpening prices ... at 6 GBP that is spendy), I was hoping a stateside option had emerged.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I'm in Canada, and get my Lister blades sharpened by Deboer grooming supplies in Bolton ON (google will find the website). They are about $10 per set to sharpen, and will work with you on shipping.

We don't have Lister clippers, but they are real popular with the local Sheep folks. So I would believe our local clipper blade sharpener service has done them before. He does a wonderful job sharpening our other various makes of blades, scissors, as well as repairing all the clippers or telling you machine is not worth fixing. We have been using him a very long time, probably close to 20 years. Blades are very sharp upon return, do a fine job. He does mail blades back promptly, if you sent them to him. Not sure of the exact rates. You could call to ask rates and about Lister blades specifically.

Precision Sharpening Inc

4400 E Grand River Road
    Webberville, MI48892-9257

Phone is (517) 521-4371

Premier 1 does a great job, very fast shipping. They say that they do 50,000 sets of blades a year, so they must know what they are doing!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...289&cat_id=39&
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Thanks y'all! I did email Lister to see if they had an authorized agent in the US. I will post if I hear back from them.

Interestingly enough, I found a bulletin board of machinists via my Google search ... one had a daughter who shows sheep and they'd had a custom sharpener built. They got all nerdy about "hollow grind" vs. "lapping" and it made my eyes cross. And, yet, I now want my own sharpening wheel!
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut Equestrian View Post
    Premier 1 does a great job, very fast shipping. They say that they do 50,000 sets of blades a year, so they must know what they are doing!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...289&cat_id=39&
    I have been using Premier for over 10 years. Fast service, expert advice. They advised me that my original pair of Lister blades were reaching a point of "end life" so I bought a pair of the their brand of blades. They have been perfect!

I also noticed Premier does a trade in thing so you can get their blades for less if you give them your (old, dull, doesn't matter) Lister blades. So that looked like it might be a good deal. I'm glad this thread came up as I have a bunch of blades to have sharpened and the only local place ruined all mine before, so I never went back!