The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question A New Post "Like" Button? or any other type(s) of Button(s)?

Please note that Mod 1 has posted an Announcement at the top of the forums asking for "Forum UPGRADE Input".

"Forum UPGRADE Input" Link:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh....php?p=5960023

Among the considerations are a new "Like button" feature for posts.

I think a "Like" button could be a benefit, because it might give contributing posters a general sense of how helpful their input is to the BB community as a whole, and might encourage a greater participation from others if they have a sense of feedback as to how valuable the community feels their input may be.

Also, it might make it easer to scan a long thread to just look for the most agreed upon opinions to a specific subject or question.

Some newer members may feel inhibited toward participating in asking questions or making contributions at first, and a "Like" button may help give them a sense of participation, also it could provide a way for some who rarely post, a way to show their approval without any apprehension of becoming "involved" in debates.

In my opinion there should only be a "Like" button, and not any button for "dislike". I also feel that any "Like" button should be configured so that each individual member can only select it once to prevent one individual from pressing it multiple times.

So how do you feel about the idea of a new "Like" button?

Edited to add:
    If not a like button, then what about any other kind button at all?

How about something like a "Helpful Post" button?

Or "agree" "disagree" "funny" "love" "educational" or "interesting" buttons???
    Last edited by alterhorse; Nov. 17, 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Add link, other ideas

I would very much like to have a "like" button!

I originally thought I would like a 'like' button, but someone brought up the notion of threads competing for popularity via the like button, and it turned me back off on it again. So maybe not. I know this has to compete with FB for attention, but I don't want to see it become FB. Too depressing.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    I originally thought I would like a 'like' button, but someone brought up the notion of threads competing for popularity via the like button, and it turned me back off on it again. So maybe not. I know this has to compete with FB for attention, but I don't want to see it become FB. Too depressing.
    True.

But it could prevent all those people who quote a 3000 word post .. and type "This".
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    True.

But it could prevent all those people who quote a 3000 word post .. and type "This".
    This.
    QED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    That.
    I don't post for people to like me, but to express ideas.
    If we make this a popularity contest, the kind of posters that will contribute will change.
    Maybe the changes will be better for COTH, maybe not.

I think that part of the appeal of COTH is that we can discuss and have positions in topics that are not mainstream with internet posters.
    What will be the impact of like button continuously damming some for being less than popular?
    Will the Parelli debates end, if 1000's of parellites flood COTH to keep "liking" en masse those few defenders here?
    Will slaughter debates end, if 1000's of animal rights fanatics flood COTH to push that button?

While a like button seems a quick and simple way to say I agree with that, the trouble with a like button is that you don't have to express yourself and stand on your position, you can hide behind the push of that button.

Then, if that is what the current posters want COTH to have, guess that it will be.

I then ask we also have a sorry button, for those that won't get liked.

This forum is for general conversation and information. It's not a popularity contest.

And the whole post doesn't have to be quoted. Those that do are just being lazy. The first line, or appropriate statement, is all that is needed. God made the ellipses for a reason. Use them.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ugh, I'm not on Facebook for a myriad of reasons. I don't want to see COTH turn into FB.

Raverly is a knitting community, they have "agree" "disagree" "funny" "love" "educational" "interesting" buttons, I find they are great for getting more input into a subject without a bazillion posts saying the exact same thing.

Every post gets a few spam disagrees, but when you're looking as a newbie at 2 posts one that has a few hundred agrees and the other that doesn't, it's quickly apparent which is the better advice. COTHers are big enough boys & girls to police themselves. If the mods make it so that only members can push the buttons, I doubt even parelli nuts have that much extra time on their hands to flood the forums.

I suggest people check our Raverly, especially if you are into fibre arts, and see how it works. I, for one, would love to see a "like" or "agree" button and cut down on endless supporting posts that don't add to the discussion.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I would dislike a like button.

TED.com has "most viewed this week," "most comments this week" and "most emailed this week." I think the ranking of the threads already provides the info of what is most 'liked,' interesting, or discussed.

If I 'like' anything, I email it to my friends (Yeah Mike Matson!! My friends think I am an internet genius because I send them all your stuff !!)

Otherwise, I am not sure what good a 'like' button is. Except for 'post count' like bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Raverly is a knitting community, they have "agree" "disagree" "funny" "love" "educational" "interesting" buttons, I find they are great for getting more input into a subject without a bazillion posts saying the exact same thing.

Every post gets a few spam disagrees, but when you're looking as a newbie at 2 posts one that has a few hundred agrees and the other that doesn't, it's quickly apparent which is the better advice. COTHers are big enough boys & girls to police themselves. If the mods make it so that only members can push the buttons, I doubt even parelli nuts have that much extra time on their hands to flood the forums.

I suggest people check our Raverly, especially if you are into fibre arts, and see how it works. I, for one, would love to see a "like" or "agree" button and cut down on endless supporting posts that don't add to the discussion.
    *LIKE*

Meh

No thanks. Don't need a worn-out "like" button.

The only reason I ever "like" something on Facebook is so other friends can see it (The Onion stories, for example).

Great idea! Maybe a dislike button as well.

I was just reading posts over on the Horse Care forum and when someone gives really good and helpful horse care advice I think it would be nice to have some sort of "great post" button if not a "Like" button.

I would have pushed it several times as some to the posts I read were really good.

Maybe we could have a "great post" or "Like" button just on the Horse Care forum?

Yea I would like a like button...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

After catching up on a few OC posts I'd like to change my response, what COTH really needs is a "DRRRRAAAAAAAAAMA" button.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    After catching up on a few OC posts I'd like to change my response, what COTH really needs is a "DRRRRAAAAAAAAAMA" button.
    Like.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

If I 'like' anything, I email it to my friends (Yeah Mike Matson!! My friends think I am an internet genius because I send them all your stuff !!)
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Nov. 17, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier