The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Potentially stupid ? re: adjustable gullet, long billets

I have a dressage saddle with an adjustable gullet that we switched from a MW to a W this weekend. In doing so, the front billet is now a good 2 inches shorter than the back Y billet. We tried tightening the Y billet but were left with a loop of the nylon that wouldn't tighten in anywhere.

I realize this is a very poor description and I've tried looking online for a solution... As it stands right now, I need a new (longer) dressage girth but it drives me nutso that the billets aren't even in length. Any tips for how to fix this?

Changing the gullet plate shouldn't affect the billet length, BUT if, when you put the saddle back together, you "caught" the top portion of the billet, the result is what you have - a billet that's temporarily shorter.

The fix is simple. Open the saddle back up and pull down on the billet to free it.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Why don't you ask a saddler to change the placement of the billet? It should be quite simple: remove the stiches, either shortern or trim off a piece of nylon, and then stich back.

Melissa, we did take the saddle apart on Sunday and only saw one way to attach the billet. We don't understand how one size larger on the gullet made such a huge different in billet length. I'll check it again tonight to see.

I agree with Melissa. I've done that several times, where I didn't get the billet pulled through correctly. Had to pull it apart again and straighten everything out, then everything was back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danged Arab View Post
    I agree with Melissa. I've done that several times, where I didn't get the billet pulled through correctly. Had to pull it apart again and straighten everything out, then everything was back to normal.
    Yep. Easy fix and makes you really good at changing gullets. Ask me how I know.