The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Market for Arabians/Half Arabians

I am about to start looking for some new homes for some arabians and half arabians for a "friend" of mine.

I have no idea where the best place to advertise these horses would be. Some are sweepstakes nominated, but all are mostly untrained. She's wanting several thousand for each, which is absurd, but she can't afford to feed them any longer so I'm going to try to find someone who wants some cute enough young horses (oldest is 2006) for a few hundred. They're black arabians -- if that matters to people who flip horses and know buyers like fancy colors.

Any ideas? I have nice hunters and a jumper. No idea how the market is outside of my little section of the world.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

http://www.arabianhorses.org/marketp...Search_pas.asp

the Arabian Horse Association is your friend, I would also post on Dreamhorse, etc.

Also make sure she gets some good pictures, not just running and flagging the tail, as a owner of a half arab those pics are find but ONLY in conjunction with good picctures, same with video, I want to see what the horse looks like not hyped up on crack

Unfortunately Sweepstakes Nominated doesn't mean much anymore now that they changed the program - young halter horses maybe but that is about it. Providing their pedigree is excellent.

There are arabs out there that have national titles that are going for 5000 - sad but true. Untrained horses are going for 1500 - 2000. Black color doesn't get you anymore money. Hunters are a dime a dozen in the arab world those are usually the ones that can't make it as country or english pleasure. If they can't do anything they make the horse a hunter.

If she can't feed them she should just try to find good homes for them - post them on dreamhorse.com.

1. Find out if they are all registered Arabian or Half-Arabian.

2. Find out the bloodlines of the mares, all if possible.

3. What discipline the parents did will help you figure out where to market them: endurance, breed shows (hunter, pleasure, park, western, halter), gymkhana, etc.

4. Once you know what to market them as, call local arabian trainers and list them on the Arabian Horse Association classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
    I am about to start looking for some new homes for some arabians and half arabians for a "friend" of mine.

I have no idea where the best place to advertise these horses would be. Some are sweepstakes nominated, but all are mostly untrained. She's wanting several thousand for each, which is absurd, but she can't afford to feed them any longer so I'm going to try to find someone who wants some cute enough young horses (oldest is 2006) for a few hundred. They're black arabians -- if that matters to people who flip horses and know buyers like fancy colors.

Any ideas? I have nice hunters and a jumper. No idea how the market is outside of my little section of the world.
    I love Arabian Horse Breeders Network. Lots of wonderful people there that can help point you both in the right direction.
    http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/

The market, no matter where you go is low. Sounds like your friend is in need of a reality check. Getting the horses into good homes is what matters, not her bottom dollar. Sure hope she finds them homes or can contact someone who can take them off her hands for her.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

I agree that if the woman can't afford to feed them she should just give them away or price them VERY low to the right home.

I don't breed PB Arabs, but my half-Arabs by my Akhal Teke stallion always sold well as weanlings for between $2500-3500 (but they were all buckskins or palominos).

You might get better results on the Arab registry site than I did, but I never found it particularly useful.

Depending on their age, gender, conformation, etc. you might try Endurance.net as well.

The ads are cheap, and Arabs are the go-to breed for endurance (although blacks are the least favorite, since many people feel they don't dissipate heat quite as well as other colors), and at least you know they won't be going to the killers.

But, with Arabs already started u/s and rideable going for $1500 or less, I would price them pretty low: $500-1200.

And tell your "friend" that she is stupid to hang on to them waiting for a good price. With the cost of hay what it is, 6 months of feeding a horse will quickly out weigh any profit she might have made anyway.

Better to get them sold ASAP and call it a day. Probably better for the horses as well....

Green broke/not broke/rescue/broodmares/older: free

halter bred, shown nationally over 16h: 3K

average wb x arab 3500

National level hunt/WP horse (not winning): 10K or under

prof. trained wb x arab with size 7500

Nicely broke (everyday) horse: anywhere from free-3K

1st level-3rd level dressage (nice): 10-15K

These are averages based on horses I have seen selling in the last few years in a market that has a lot of arabs for sale.

The websites advised are good places to advertise... Honestly - If the horses are not broke with unexceptional bloodlines or talent/conformation - you'd be lucky to give them away, let alone get a few hundred bucks each for them. Especially in TX.