The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Affaire MA

Did anyone go to the Equine Affaire in MA this past weekend? Wondering what people thought of the expo this year.

I wasn't terribly impressed. It just seems to go down in quality each year. There were more vendors this year, expanded into the Mallory Complex, but... ehh. I wasn't terribly interested in many of the clinics. I did get some deals, but not sure that what I saved would be worth the cost of attending to me. The Fantasia was not impressive, except for 2 or 3 acts.

I did not go this year for the first time in a while. Glad I didn't miss much.

Went for the first time. Was impressed with the size as compared to Horse World Expo in Harrisburg and Maryland. Found a few bargains but had to really search. Was actually surprised at some of the prices and thought some things were marked up. Found a few vendors pushy, actually. Others were very nice. Did watch the John Lyons clinic. Sorry I missed Dr. Reilly's presentation on Thursday but found him to be extremely candid and easy to talk to at the booth.

I thought the main seminar choices were fine. Although I did go see one "BNT" who was whipping a horse in the face as part of training for him to be "brave."

It was the smaller seminars and demonstrations where I think they did not have the usual quality choices. As far as the vendors were concerned, I not only did not have much discretionary income, but I didn't really need anthing except a new saddle pad and renewing a couple of magazine subscriptions at bargain rates. Actually I'm consigning stuff that I don't use anymore..l.

I thought the Fantasia was terrific this year, at least compared to those of the last several years. We brought a couple who are not horse people. They have been there for the past 3, and they thought it was much more enjoyable that the last several years.

My b/o was in the C barn with horses for sale. She said that overall attendance was down this year.

Default close call

I only went Sunday. The parking lot was definitely less crowded. They've expanded the vendors. I almost went to that brave horse seminar but now I'm so glad I didn't . I might have made a scene if I'd seen the guy hitting the horse in the face....

Vendors & public attendance have been going down for several years now. thank you, economy.

I used to go all four days. I'd do the shopping and have enthusiasm left for the seminars and clinics, and maybe even the Fantasia. that was, sadly, years ago. Fantasia was not worth the price, for me anyway, after the first few years of it. Acts just sorta got boring, if not annoying.

Which isn't to say I don't still go, for one day, and manage to spend enough that I'd better be sitting down when the credit card bill comes in.

Wow attendance was down? I thought it was mobbed on Friday. Forgot about the school holiday. We got there Thurs. afternoon and it was nice. Didn't do the show (spent the money elsewhere) but talked to someone at the hotel who saw it and they were very pleased.

I almost wasn't going to go this year but then my friends 3 year old was chosen for the 2 colt starting clinics with Guy Mclean. In light of that I had to go at least one day :-D

I went on Thursday, and the crowds seemed very light. There were more vendors but nothing that made you want to jump up and go WOW! There were good deals if you looked for them. Got a great deal on my horse's joint supplement from Horsetech, saved almost $40 on my usual order!!

The only clinic I watched was Guy Mclean (gee I wonder why ) and was very impressed. He did a great job with Aiden and Aiden's mom was thrilled to have such great horseman start her colt and be the first person to ride him.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I brought 2 8 year olds (human), and we had a great time! I didn't get to see all I wanted because of limited time, but what we did experience was excellent!

I went Thursday and had a great time. I brought my 10-year old niece who still can't stop talking about how much fun it was! There were a lot of good deals - just had to know your prices. I didn't really need anything but did pick up a few things that were much cheaper there than if I had bought them at a regular place. I didn't catch any clinics - the only ones I like to see are the h/j/eventing ones but just ran out of time this year. I'll definitely go again - traffic and parking weren't a problem at all. It was busy Thursday but not so crowded you couldn't move (I generally go that day to avoid the big weekend/holiday crowds). So yes for me it was worth going to .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England