The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall rest "entertainment"

Any suggestions for good stall toys to prevent boredom during a layup? He has a jolly ball but it hasn't been up long, just brainstorming.

Also, any "games" I could play with him while he's not going anywhere? Thanks!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Small mesh haynet. Will occupy him longer to help prevent boredom.

Clicker training!

Check out the "training guide" link here: http://www.theclickercenter.com/

We used to hang milk jugs in the stalls from twine with rocks in it. If they are not scared of the noise they liked to bang them around. Here is a link for some that can be used in the stalls.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/hor...rseplay_c_6563

Games you can do are lots of carrot stretchs to keep them some what supple. Lots of massage too. Well there not really games but will help the bond between you two.

Amazing Graze! Fill it with hay cubes, packer pellets, carrots, apples, etc and then stuff extra hay in the hole to make the treats harder to get out.

I also love my nibble net and I second a small hole hay net.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

My guy was on stall rest for 9 months. My best tool was a small hole hay net filled with grass hay, and a handful of alfalfa in the middle. He would work for hours to get at that tiny bit of alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    My guy was on stall rest for 9 months. My best tool was a small hole hay net filled with grass hay, and a handful of alfalfa in the middle. He would work for hours to get at that tiny bit of alfalfa.
    Yes, food is the best entertainment you can give them. You have to strike a balance between keeping them occupied and making them obese--I use the smallest hole nibblenet for this purpose.

Milk jugs with edibles in it. Have to say I used M&Ms, I was thinking "what would I want?".

Those Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls are usually a horse favorite, just be prepared to have your horse's head decorated in sugar/grain!

I think it's by the same people who make the Lik-its, it's a ball that you can put food into and they have to roll it around so it spills out. I've given my horse his grain rations that way on long periods of stall rest. Also have used hay stretcher and alfalfa pellets in it with success!

Thanks, everybody! Unfortunately, he's recoup-ing from recent colic surgery, so I'm kind of hesitant with food toys, but a likit might be in his future (I've seen what the Hangin Balls can do and I couldn't stand him being that messy!)
    I love the massage idea and the stretches are definite once his incision is a little more healed! Thanks again!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

i would get a small hole hay net. my ulcer prone horse loves his very much

Freedom Feeders

As for the Hanging Balls, what if the horse manages to pull the thing down and eat it all at once? Colic hazard? I want to get one for my guy but he can tend to be a bit , um, 'aggressive' with food and things he wants! All he thinks about is food and I KNOW he'd eat himself to death if he could. I'd be worried he'd get sick.

I used Hangin' Balls when my gelding was on stall rest. The trick is to follow the directions and hang the ball at the horse's eye level (or even a little bit higher) and also hand the ball away from walls. You want to keep the horse from pinning the ball against the wall and taking a bite. Following these directions, the horse will only be able to give the ball a passing flick of the tongue. They will last a while and will definitely keep the horse's attention.

As for the sticky face, well, a warm, damp towel takes care of that pretty quickly. It's no biggie.

Wishing your boy an uneventful recovery!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Milk jug filled with rocks. Hang it or have it loose depending on the horse.

Another horse. Switch it up with several horses coming and going in the next door stall, or out in the paddock adjacent to your stall. That way they can play faces or the stalled horse can watch the horse horse outside.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I used Hangin' Balls when my gelding was on stall rest. The trick is to follow the directions and hang the ball at the horse's eye level (or even a little bit higher) and also hand the ball away from walls. You want to keep the horse from pinning the ball against the wall and taking a bite. Following these directions, the horse will only be able to give the ball a passing flick of the tongue. They will last a while and will definitely keep the horse's attention.

As for the sticky face, well, a warm, damp towel takes care of that pretty quickly. It's no biggie.

Wishing your boy an uneventful recovery!
    Thank you!