The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If she's in critical condition WITH a helmet it's nauseating to think what would have happened without one. I hope she recovers quickly.

And mildot's right--any time you get on a horse could be the last no matter what safety equipment we have on. If we want to keep riding we have to deal with that and move on.

Best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery. Must have been a nasty fall! She is a beautiful rider.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Or sitting on our couch.
    Yeah we could choke on a potato chip. I actually choked on a hard candy once and nearly died with people not 10 feet away. Now any hard candies I eat have HOLES in them and get bitten in two!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I wonder statistically if you are at more risk when riding your horse, or when you are in your vehicle, either driving to and from the barn or transporting him by road to or from an event.

Of course statistically you are more likely to die in bed than anywhere else, so best get up and go ride,

ETA, of course sending jingles to the rider concerned, I hope she makes a full recovery
    Last edited by KBC; Nov. 16, 2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Because it's late and spelling has become an even greater issue than normal
    Mother of the son of UsedtobeHaffy

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

As far as the CDC data are concerned it's safer to ride a motorcycle than it is to ride a horse. I keep that in mind when my young students talk about getting bikes and I want to shake my head and talk to them about how dangerous bikes are. I just bite my tongue.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Boy am I single-minded. I'm sorry for her accident and wish her a recovery. Can't help but notice how freakin' correct her position is on that horse. IMO of course.

Paula
    They get that good and correct through riding many, many, many, many, many, many horses - many different types, with different strides, and different temperaments ... hot, slow, indifferent, sensitive, spooky, shy, explosive and bomb proof. Most of the auction horses are rather on the green side, especially when it comes to dealing with crowds, noise, and chaos. When you ride so many horses you can't even remember all their names, you learn how to really, really read a horse and those riders practice, practice, practice, practice their craft and develop their butt-velcro.

To think, these riders are considered very good and very classically correct, but they're not the BEST. The very best riders of the country are on the GP teams. Just makes you think a little...

It's why you may have heard it said that to really test a NA rider's skill set, they need to show in Europe.

When she fell, her helmet split and she was instantly unconscious. Had she not been wearing a helmet, she would have been killed. I am unsure if she hit an object on the way down, or if a hoof connected with the helmet. Either way, it was a very serious incident.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    When she fell, her helmet split and she was instantly unconscious. Had she not been wearing a helmet, she would have been killed. I am unsure if she hit an object on the way down, or if a hoof connected with the helmet. Either way, it was a very serious incident.
    YIKES.=why I wear a helmet...it always makes me nervous watching people ride green horses without a helmet at the barn and this is exactly why. Hopefully she will make a full recovery.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

While it is very sad, I see nothing wrong with people noticing her correct and elegant position. I'm sure she would love to hear people say that about her. When she's better, maybe someone can translate all those compliments from this board.

I'm going to believe she'll come out of this fine. Positive thoughts! (Yes, this really is Velvet saying something positive.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

They get that good and correct through riding many, many, many, many, many, many horses - many different types, with different strides, and different temperaments ... hot, slow, indifferent, sensitive, spooky, shy, explosive and bomb proof. Most of the auction horses are rather on the green side, especially when it comes to dealing with crowds, noise, and chaos. When you ride so many horses you can't even remember all their names, you learn how to really, really read a horse and those riders practice, practice, practice, practice their craft and develop their butt-velcro.

I guess you can't get away from this truth. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice practice practice.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My trainer is a German girl who came here to the states to go to school, she practically volunteers her knowledge to me. She rode sale horses in Germany, mostly jumpers, but she knows her way around a dressage horse as well, hence being my trainer. There is NOTHING my trainer won't get on, and every horse she gets on, looks great! I am sure she knows this girl, I will ask her when I have my lesson. The Germans are a no muss no fuss kind of people. No excuses, just do. Don't know how? Well, practice MORE! Don't have time? Make it! I love her (my trainer), she challenges me every single lesson, nothing is ever easy, just the way I like it. I have learned more from her in 10 months than I have from any other trainer I have had with Frodo. She inspires me.

This girl is one hell of a rider and I sincerely hope she recovers fully. I know exactly how hard she has worked and she deserves to sit on more of the finest sale (or even show) horses in the world. Thought and prayers are with her.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

@Paula: yes with lots of practice and a violin
    that cost 6 figures or more.

Via google translate from weser-kurier.de: Verden (asi). The auction horsewoman Melanie Wienand has suffered in her fall on Saturday in the Lower Hall a severe head injury. "Her condition has not deteriorated but according to our information, but is still very serious and critical," said Gerhard Wiechers from the financial department of the Hanoverian Association, yesterday to demand the UN. The doctors at the hospital were transferred Rotenburger the young woman in an induced coma. Melanie Wienand was unhappy at the November auction fell to the ground after her horse shied at a flower pot and had to stumble.

My best wishes to her for a full and speedy recovery.

Had she not had a hat, she probably wouldn't be here at all.

Had she had an ASTM/SEI certified hat, she might be conscious.

My prayers are with her and the other who have been injured in this sport this year!!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

alicen, thanks for the update!

Such a beautiful rider. I hope she recovers fully.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post

thank you,this is probably one of the best and more intelligent things I have read here in awhile....

lose count of how many you have been on and that is the START of good riding,and being a horseman.

I wish her well.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post

how do you know her helmet didn't have that certification?

One of my FB pals took a header and split her ASTM/SEI certified helmet on, split it like a melon.

It's a helmet, not a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    What do you think was the certification on her helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    What do you think was the certification on her helmet?
    Can't really say of course but non certified hats are still available
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/velvet-...X1-3698/cn/39/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.