The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Auction rider injured

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...ed-unconscious

What I found most interesting is that they still remove helmets for the catalog photo shoot. But since the rider was injured with helmet anyway.....

Boy am I single-minded. I'm sorry for her accident and wish her a recovery. Can't help but notice how freakin' correct her position is on that horse. IMO of course.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles, thoughts, and prayers headed her way.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Boy am I single-minded. I'm sorry for her accident and wish her a recovery. Can't help but notice how freakin' correct her position is on that horse. IMO of course.

Paula
    Yes, our view of the world is often 'tunnel.' I found it very odd they removed the helmets for the catalog shoot.

without the helmet, it probably would have been worse. I also had a head injury with a helmet on - without it, I probably would have been killed, or certain had a TBI.

She'll be in my prayers as well.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh geesh, I have a picture of her riding a grey horse from a 2011 auction on my fridge. You know how you put your fat picture on the fridge door to keep from eating? I put her pic on my door to visualize better posture and I have a grey horse.

Wishing her a speedy recovery; just think if she wasn't wearing a helmet.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Calhoun,

I think we're both going to burn in Karma hell. Her photo in the article instantly had the same effect on me.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Paula

Wow, jingles.

Whoever it was who signed the new helmet rule into effect for that auction, probably over at least some objections, most likely saved a life when they did it.

3 members found this post helpful.

i looked at the rider without her helmet. and it looks stupid. she is all decked out but cant put on a helmet for her photo? thank goodness she was wearing a helmet for the auction. i wish her a speedy and full recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    i looked at the rider without her helmet. and it looks stupid. she is all decked out but cant put on a helmet for her photo? thank goodness she was wearing a helmet for the auction. i wish her a speedy and full recovery!
    From the eurodressage article it sounds like it is the auction company's policy that catalog photos are taken without the helmets. At least, that was my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    From the eurodressage article it sounds like it is the auction company's policy that catalog photos are taken without the helmets. At least, that was my interpretation.
    why the heck does a catalog to sell horses need the rider to have gorgeous hair! that is the only reason i can think of for not wearing a helmet! maybe the riders go to a dinner afterwards and do not have time to go home and shower?
    seriously has anyone learned something from courtney king dye's tragedy??
    Last edited by TSWJB; Nov. 15, 2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    seriously has anyone learned something from courtney king dye's tragedy??
    They obviously have learned because the riders now wear helmets during the auction. I'm so thankful for it, and I'm glad to see helmets popping up more and more in places it would have previously seemed really out of place to see them. Hopefully that helmet she was wearing protected her enough that she'll come out of this well. Many jingles headed her way.

Edited to add: She really is a beautiful rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I got the opposite impression from the article. The actual text is

Remarkably, for the first time the Verden auction riders were actually wearing helmets during the auction, which is a new policy as before helmets were not mandatory. During the photography session for the each auction catalog the riders do not wear a helmet. In the past the riders wore no helmets during the auction but were sometimes seen with top hats. They only had helmets on for the video-taped training sessions.

I interpreted that as the riders choose not to wear helmets at all times when the auction does not specifically make it mandatory. It is now mandatory for the auction, so they wear them in the auction. Otherwise they are still free to choose not to, but not required by policy not to.

Well, first of all I am sorry to hear of another serious head injury and she was wearing her helmet. Definatley wishing her a speedy and full recovery.

What the frig happened??

I want to see horses remain a part of our culture and I hope we can begin to learn more about how we all do this.

Thanks for posting the link to Melanie's video. What a beautiful, effective sensetive rider. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    What the frig happened??

I want to see horses remain a part of our culture and I hope we can begin to learn more about how we all do this.
    At some point we have to accept the fact that, no matter what we do, we could die every single time we throw a leg over a very powerful sentient animal that sometimes has its own ideas.

Thanks for the video Alicen. I can only speculate that with a seat like that it must have been a heck of a startle and bolt.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    At some point we have to accept the fact that, no matter what we do, we could die every single time we throw a leg over a very powerful sentient animal that sometimes has its own ideas.
    Or sitting on our couch.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    agreed...to put it bluntly, shit happens. this past week in horse news pretty well sums up the unpredictability of our sport.