The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Do some post on CoTH to create a "persona" of knowledge?

I am constantly amazed by the posts of some people (who shall remain nameless) who present the impression that they are knowledgeable about ... fill in the blank.

Yes, I have over 11,000 posts. And I hope I have NEVER given anyone the impression that I am anything but an ammy with little knowledge about breeding, riding, showing... whatever. And to pre-empt anyone who THINKS that, .... let me just state: I am an ammy, who has no profound knowledge of breeding, riding, horsecare. My profound apologies if I have ever given that impression.

I have disagreed with some,... agreed with others, tried to present myself honestly. But holy smokes! I just read a post from someone I know that just made my mouth hang open...

What planet is this person living on???

Am I the only one who sees this? Maybe it's just a fact of on-line life...

*sigh* I don't know

The older I get, the more I love my *very* uncomplicated horses...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I have seen people posting as if they know, that should know, as they are here representing their breeding operation or training and obviously don't know as much as they think they know and won't listen to other opinions.
    No shame in now knowing, questionable to think you know much and won't learn from others.

The problem on internet forums is that, unless you are working in front of the public, have something to sell, goods or services, you really need to protect your privacy, so it is hard for anyone to just give a resume of all they have done.

I used to tell stories with names, when I first started posting, until I had a stalker that said it went to the names I mentioned in Europe and checked that I was who I said I was and was posting about it.
    Very crazy that, I think.

My point, you just have to read between the lines and if some that is posted makes you go , well, click on.
    Don't worry, it is their problem, or if you think it is important to give a different take on what is being said, post about what you know.

We can learn from all, in so many ways, by listening to how others think, even if we don't agree with them.

The posting I find objectionable is those that invent a story or several to sell themselves or whatever they sell, or so others feel sorry for them and send them things. I think some may be professional moochers.
    The internet is a perfect place for that, as here no one has to give account of anything in real life. We had a few like that here.

Well if that were their initial plan it wouldn't take long for the COTH sleuths to sniff them out and send them packing. Even if you were just going to copy and paste stuff you read and pass it off as your own knowledge you would have to have at least a basic understanding to chose what to copy. A more likely explanation is people tend to vastly underestimate their own stupidity.

It is my personal opinon that less than about 5% of the posters here really have the knowledge to back up what they profess expertise about. AND, I think the percentage of posters who just "pile on" any post that tears down another is even higher, just so they can appear to "belong." The level of stupidity on this bb has gone up significantly in the 11 years I have been a member. When I joined, there were a large number of people whose posts I respected, and whose advice I might follow. Now, not so much. I post much less, as well, because it just isn't the same group of good horse people that it once was.

Just because you have owned ONE horse that did ONE thing does not make you an expert on that ONE thing! Or anything else!!!

OMom, I am completely with you...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Well, Bluey just made my night .

What Laurie said ".

People are just as able to do the same thing in person. Sometimes knowing things about them personally, then seeing what they post or talking to them in person... you truly have to wonder what planet they think they live on.

You may have 11K posts OM, but you've also been on the forum for 10 years...
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

It is a basic internet thing...the safety of being behind a user name...Just like online dating, you can be whatever you want to be until you are found out. Animals and the internet really seem to be a combination where people can spout off with very strong opinions whether or not they should. The dog discussion boards are just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Well, Bluey just made my night .

What Laurie said ".

People are just as able to do the same thing in person. Sometimes knowing things about them personally, then seeing what they post or talking to them in person... you truly have to wonder what planet they think they live on.

You may have 11K posts OM, but you've also been on the forum for 10 years...
    Glad to make someone laugh.

I agree, some really tell tall tales in person, even when they know you know better.

Now, cowboys do that on purpose and it is expected and taken as that, blowing hot air and the tales getting bigger and wilder in the telling.

Oh I didn't mean the second part about you at all Blue .

But you are certainly the most stubborn person I've ever have the pleasure of arguing with online and I have NO doubt you are the very same in person
    (and I mean that as a compliment)

BTW I've been telling everyone this year about your story about the grasshoppers & the turkey , we've had a real invasion and I think you've saved a few dinners .
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Oh, you mean the internet expert phenomenon?

I'm sure I've been guilty of it. Positive in fact, but I haven't been able to find the book that I quoted from anywhere. And don't feel like buying another off of ebay for ten bucks. So I really felt like I came across as a troll of the worst order, not that posting the reference would have made me any more popular for what I said. Be that as it may.

There's studies out there that talk about the kind of person who is most likely to frequent chat rooms and all that, plus that song about I'm so much cooler on line. LOL. I guess LOL, because it isn't really that funny sometimes if you are talking yourself up and your horses consist of a herd of Breyers, or worse yet starvelings.

Nope. They used to call it the Secret Life of Walter Mitty, the Thurber character who wanted to be more than he really was. It's just a whole lot easier for people to do it online, and then they can't take it back, because once it's on the interwebz it's really hard to change or correct.

I have what, 4,000 posts for five years? Might be a bit too many, but I am a big poster on jingle threads.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Nov. 8, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: way overestimated my post count
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    The level of stupidity on this bb has gone up significantly in the 11 years I have been a member. When I joined, there were a large number of people whose posts I respected, and whose advice I might follow. Now, not so much.
    Indeed. There are still bits of wisdom here and there, but it seems the wise ones post much less than they use to. It does make me smile though when I see an old, familiar name.

It also seems like the majority of the COTH posting population is much younger and less knowledgeable than it once was. Drama is at a premium, these days.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Hopefully I've never pretended to be an expert on anything other than how to be an eternal adult weenie re-rider. I generally come looking for the wisdom of others in the hopes that I have enough common sense to spot the difference between sage advice and wackadoodle experts.

It is true however, that there seems to be a lot more adversarial bickering on COTH these days. I think its just a reflection of the general trend in societyto be very polarized about everything from politics to entertainment.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

OMGiH.

And here I thought I was all by my lonesome.

Thanks for the belly laughs, Bluey, Laurieace, lauriep, Nes, ReSomething (LMAO over your opening line), and Heinz 57.

What shocks me is people BELIEVE these yahoos, without really doing their research, or even looking at relevent websites. Hel-lo? Hasn't anyone else (other than those posting on this thread) ever heard of the expression:

Talk is cheap
    Yes, I have some nice horses in my back yard, but holy smokes. They're not all grand prix prospects, even if they HAVE been to the breed shows and won blue.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting too old... how can these... "untruthtellers" look themselves in the mirror? Don't they know there are a lot of the old posters out there that know who they are???

*sigh* Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Hopefully I've never pretended to be an expert on anything other than how to be an eternal adult weenie re-rider.
    *snort* Too funny. High-five, Trevelyan96.
    Last edited by Oldenburg Mom; Nov. 8, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I just had to add Trev's quote. Too funny.
    "For God hates utterly

LOL, I don't think have ever professed to be an expert in how to do something WRONG
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    Yes, I have some nice horses in my back yard, but holy smokes. They're not all grand prix prospects, even if they HAVE been to the breed shows and won blue...
    The most pigeon toed creature I have ever seen has garnered quite a few wins her breed. I am constantly astonished by this.

The owner is the nicest person and a total newbie, so at least she's not wandering around telling everyone to breed for pigeon toes.

I suspect in some cases there is a lot of vino involved...
    Need You Now Equine

If you want a YouTube/Vimeo horsey video, who you gonna call?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Oh I didn't mean the second part about you at all Blue .

But you are certainly the most stubborn person I've ever have the pleasure of arguing with online and I have NO doubt you are the very same in person
    (and I mean that as a compliment)

BTW I've been telling everyone this year about your story about the grasshoppers & the turkey , we've had a real invasion and I think you've saved a few dinners .
    You are right, as a kid, my nickname was hardhead.
    My brother still calls me that some times, now both of us in our 60's.
    I come to that honestly, from generally being right.

I think many posters have alters.
    That would not fly with me, I would be found out immediately.

I will say, there are many, many posters that know so much more than I do and I learn so much from them.

I think some are on the internet for entertainment, some are information junkies and others, well, be my guest why they are posting.
    Then, if you look at all that read posts, there are way, way many lurkers out there also, that don't post.
    We don't even know who those are.
    Just think, when we post, we are either informing or alienating someone.
    Serious stuff, even when we take this lightly.

Nes,

Where in the heck did you come from ... LOL LOL LOL. I don't knowif you're Miss or Mr Witty, but take the crown ... hahahahaha. Your post was worth the entire thread ... hahahaha.

I just wish *SOME* people would read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I will say, there are many, many posters that know so much more than I do and I learn so much from them.
    Bluey, how refreshingly humble of you. I just wonder if those posters that know so much are the same posters that I'm thinking of.

P.S. Why do you think my signature is what it is .... hmmmmm?
    "For God hates utterly

I think there is a lot of truth in the expression "you don't know what you don't know".

I think there is also that dangerous point in the learning curve where you progress beyond beginner and you start to think you know a lot about horses and riding. You may know a lot more than you did before you started riding, but in the whole scheme of things, it's probably not that much!

Yeah, I post too much. I mostly post things from my own perspective and word them as so. I would assume people reading my posts would take it as one person's non expert opinion-at least I hope so!!!

I would think that most readers could weed out the bs pretty quickly.

It's funny, there are certain posters who I never read, not because I don't like them, but because they are just too wordy or preachy sounding to me.

Funnier yet, I never have short posts. Guess the same could be said about me!

Vino or houseguests.

I have no one to blame but myself, is that good or bad?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Miss although constantly mistaken for a mister so I don't know what that really says about me... even google Ads was totally convinced I was a man until I set them straight.

I mean, I know I'm not the most feminine of women but come'on .

May I mention the drunk quoted in my signature was no saying "bum", but it is the most prophetic thing I have ever heard from a human being (it was from a BBC doc).
    Need You Now Equine